“What a Score!!”

HYATT House San Jose/Silicon Valley
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 16 July 2014

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights over the 4th of July weekend. The staff was very courteous upon check in, and called our room a few minutes after we arrived asking if we were happy with our accommodations. We opted for the King bed suite which had a sofa bed and TV in the living room and a small kitchen. The room was spacious and the beds were comfortable. We liked the security of staying at the hotel. You need a room key to access the elevators and you get private parking as well. Made us feel more safe. The breakfast in the morning was the best complimentary breakfast we have ever had. The omelette station was incredible and all the food was well above what we expected. The elevators were fast, our room was quiet. The hotel was clean and modern and the staff was friendly at all times. The property is steps away from a number of stores and restaurants as well. My one and only complaint was the lack of a hot tub by the pool. It was a bit chilly at night and having a hot tub would have been a nice touch.

Room Tip: Ask for something on the 6th or 7th floor. The view was very nice and the room was quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Sweetbabyray34

Reviewed 1 July 2014

We spent two nights here and guess what was going on during our stay? I'm not a huge soccer fan, but the World Cup was on all of the television sets during our complimentary breakfast, so that was cool. And yes, my comment about the omelette station is in step with everyone else's--it was a nice touch, but when the line is about fifteen people deep, then I'm bypassing. There has to be a better way of doing this...maybe having a person take orders while a couple of other people make the omelettes? Other than this, the breakfast selection was decent, especially for my husband who is an egg hater. There is a parking structure next door that is shared by other businesses and it seems to me that there aren't enough spaces to accommodate all of the guests, which is why, I guess, they are allowed to park in the lot that's shared with CVS, etc. in the evening. We had no problem figuring out that you need your key card to operate the elevator; quite a few other hotels have this safety feature as well. We also didn't notice the Wi-Fi being particularly slow; maybe we have low expectations of hotels? All in all, we had a good stay. I save my excellent rating for hotels that I find to be the total bomb, so although I would definitely stay here again, there was nothing that made this Hyatt stand out head and shoulders above the rest. It was a good, clean, comfortable hotel that was a little bit on the pricey side.

Room Tip: The air conditioner seemed pretty sensitive, so adjust to your taste. The room was quite stuffy when...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patty49er
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My husband reserved the room through Hotwire for an excellent price and I was very surprised to see how great the accommodation was. There was a kitchenette, a sleeper sofa which was so convenient for my son.The complimentary breakfast was an awesome addition, lots of choices. The only downgrade was the front desk clerk forgot to tell my husband that he has to slide his key card in the elevator in order to work, we're glad there were a couple in the elevator that informed us. Overall, it was a satisfying stay, I would stay here again if I ever visit the area.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank GeorgiaRose1968
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a very nice property. It has a great complimentary breakfast. Very quiet. It's in a convenient location, easy access, although signage at the street would be a great help. I liked having the business center available for printing our boarding passes, etc. out. The bar onsite is nice, although check the bottom of the menu's small print for what really is included in the happy hour. I was able to get a good rate, if it's available again, I would definitely stay here. I was concerned about having to drive the 101 in the morning to Palo Alto, but had no problems.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank vhusbands
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed in a 2 bedroom suite and it was perfect for our family with my mother getting her own room. The suite was spacious and clean. Furniture was modern and carpet was so soft on our feet. Front Desk personnel were always friendly. The location was in a newer area with shops (CVS, Target) and restaurants (Chick-Fil-A, Sweet Tomatoes, Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, and more) within walking distance. More shops and restaurants are within a 5-minutes drive. You can walk a couple of city blocks to VTA (light rail line) which would connect to Caltrains and take you to San Francisco. The hotel is in a triangular area between 3 major freeways. Don't worry. You can't hear or see them from the hotel. The freeways are not too close but are very easily accessible. One freeway on-ramp is about 1/4 mile away. It's about a 50 minutes drive to San Francisco, 15 minutes drive to San Jose, and 50 minutes to Santa Cruz. It's about 15 minutes to San Jose Airport, 35 minutes to San Francisco airport, and 35 minutes to Oakland airport.

We'd like to give this place 4.5 stars but there are no halves. The only reason this place does not get 5 stars from us is breakfast. The selection is a little better than average for hotel self-serve breakfast - usual beverages, toast, muffiins, bagel, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuit & gravy, potatoes, yogurt, and fresh fruit. They had the addition of a person making omelettes on a little cart. We didn't order omelettes but noticed that people had to wait a very long time. The person making the omelettes used too much egg so the omelettes took forever to cook and we saw many people having to cancel their orders. The person making them was pleasant and friendly. She probably just needed instructions on how to make smaller, quicker, better omelettes (they mostly looked liked scrambles.) We dropped the rating one star because there were a couple of workers standing around and chatting instead of refilling food items (which were all low both mornings.) For example, the pitchers of water were never refilled in the 30 minutes that we were eating in the dining room even though the one male worker walked by it several times. He just stood and chatted with the omelette maker. We had to wait 15 minutes before someone refilled the fruit bowl. We have to thank Em (sorry forgot how to spell your full name) for taking the time to greet all guests and to see if we needed anything. Because of Em, we wish we could up the rating half a notch. She defines customer service.

Overall, we would definitely stay here again when we visit our friends in the Bay Area. The location is convenient and feels safe. The suite was spacious and felt like home.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank NongNoi
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The hotel was new and the staff friendly . It had a cool hang out area and bar since most people who stay here stay for longer than standard hotels . Friendly guest and big rooms makes this place a great fit for me. The only downside was at 6 am the fire alarms went off and everyone had to evacuate so the fire could be put out. So I grabbed my stuff and left. I was surprised to still be charged for that night but after speaking to the manager she said everyone would be reimbursed for that night.

Room Tip: Get a west facing room they are very quite.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank sadiepdx
Reviewed 30 May 2014

I am a frequent guest of Hyatt and have received complimentary upgrades most of the time. But occasionally a hotel is not able to offer an upgrade and I certainly would understand. But I have never had an upgrade retracted by a Hyatt hotel, that is, until Hyatt House San Jose. My sister and I were traveling together. We initially booked 4 nights at this hotel. As it turned out, we arrived one day early, so we booked one additional night at last minute. At check-in, we requested and received a complimentary upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite. Since the only such suite available was the so-called trio with 3 beds. Next morning I went to the front desk to have my second reservation processed. I was told we could still stay in a 2-bedroom suite but we had to move to another one with 2 beds which would not be ready until 3pm. When I came back around 3pm, things changed drastically. I now was told I had to pay $100 more per night for the supposedly complimentary upgrade. The guy at the front desk even tried to negotiate with me by offering less amount, and he also went back several times to supposedly ask the approval of the manager. The funny thing is the "manager" never surfaced. Come on, are we dealing with used cars here? I was not going to negotiate on the price of an upgrade that was already offered a few hours ago as complimentary. We ended up cancelling the reservation and went with another Hyatt hotel in the area. It was a big hassle for us.

As I mentioned before, I am a frequent guest of Hyatt and have received complimentary upgrades most of the time. I don't get upset if a hotel is not able to offer an upgrade sometimes. But retracting an upgrade already in place is very disrespectful. That said, I am not souring on the entire Hyatt brand. In fact almost all other Hyatt properties have treated me very well. But I do have a problem with this particular property and I have filed a formal complaint with Hyatt customer relations.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown
Hyatt Regency Santa Clara
Hyatt Regency Santa Clara
#3 of 32 in Santa Clara

Been to HYATT House San Jose/Silicon Valley? Share your experiences!