“Fantastic location - nicer than your usual Marriott”
Review of San Jose Marriott

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 October 2011

This hotel is great. The location is within walking distance of many San Jose attractions - the Children's Discovery Museum, the Convention Center, Art Museum and many restaurants including Gordon Biersch, Joe's Italian and McCormick and Schmick, plus Johnny Rockets. Very modern feel. You can only valet park which can be expensive. A great place to stay for business, but if you have kids, I'd find a place with a pool.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 11 October 2011

Stay there for 2 nights for yahoo summit.

room is clean and service is good, nothing special but everything is good.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Okay, so I took a gamble and bid on Priceline for a 4 star hotel in San Jose. Of course, you don't get to pick which one and got stuck with the Marriot. This hotel is not bad in theory, but it sucks to get stuck with it on Priceline. For one thing, the whole point of bidding on Priceline was to save some cash, right. We've had some great experiences getting good deals with bids, but in areas more luxurious than San Jose, and usually we only bid for a 3 or 3 and a half star, so I thought why not go all out on a 4 star bid, low-balling at 80 bux (which after taxes and other b.s. turned out to be 100 a night.) We stayed for two nights.

The problem with getting stuck at the Marriot was their ridiculous charges for, practically forced, valet parking and internet use. Parking was $26 per night and internet was a ridiculous $13 per night (that's what I pay for a month of internet at home.) This may or may not be what is the usual at a place like this. I don't know, we normally never have to pay for parking or internet when we stay places. So what this amounted to was an extra $78 for the two nights, a major bummer, because I would have selected a hotel that didn't have those charges or parking situation for the roughly $137 per night. To avoid the valet charge, there is the option of parking in a garage that is a 1/4 mile down market street for a reasonable $7 a night. We did not choose to do this because it would be ridiculous to carry all that luggage down the street. It was inconvenient, and we were tired from the drive.

The hotel/room itself:
1. The view was fairly nice.
2. I wish there would have been a little balcony, as it is a non-smoking building entirely, and you have to go all the way down to floor 1 to catch a smoke break (I guess it's time to quit.)
3. The king bed was very comfortable with a ton of big pillows. The room was very tiny.
4. Went swimming, and the pool was not heated, so very cold!
5. The amenities sucked in general! NO REFRIGERATOR! NO MICROWAVE for dinner leftovers! They hella want you to order off their ridiculous priced room-service menu or go to their pretentious lala land restaurant. Eggs are like 15 bucks.
6. The bath tub was very tiny, no room for the two of us lol : (
7. Knowing the gouging with the parking and internet, I didn't want to have a bell boy carry the luggage cart up to the room because I didn't want to tip any extra money. They wouldn't let me take up my own luggage, so there was more money spent on an unnecessary tip.
8. Service and concierge was very accommodating. The valet service was actually pretty awesome but would prefer to park myself for free. If valet was maybe 10 bucks a night, I could afford to tip the valets, I know they were waiting for it, sorry little buddy.
9. Location was pretty prime, it was in the center of everything we were in San Jose to see, but then again I don't know the whole of San Jose too well.
10. The crowd that was in their outrageous fancy bar, Tanq, turned me off.

Anyway, diary of a man caught up in the working poor America. Occupy Wall St.!

Room Tip: Know what you're getting into ahead of time. Don't risk bidding on a 4-star in San Jose.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pmoney559
Reviewed 4 October 2011

For the second time I was desperately looking for a San Jose hotel connected to their annual Rock N Roll half-marathon that would be "the one." The Marriott is connected to the San Jose Convention Center as was the Hilton Hotel, where I had previously stayed. Perhaps that unique location, almost guaranteeing high occupancy, has made them both complacent. Neither hotel excelled.

Check-in at the Marriott was seamless. There were plenty of registration agents available as they anticipated the onslaught of marathoners and another convention starting Sunday. But that other convention also posed the problem of the Marriott informing us the only way you could get late check out (after 12 pm) was by paying half again of your room rate.

The half-marathon was slated to take place from 8 am to 1 pm. So it became incumbent upon us to immediately return to the hotel to take a shower if we wanted to avoid the late charge. So much for the after event entertainment. Thanks for spoiling the party, Marriott!
As a Marriott Rewards member my profile asks for a high floor. They put us on the 6th (of 25) floor. The room was basic Marriott although with a sliding door that was annoying and noisy at night. We had to keep the door closed because a low level fan ran constantly.

We found the room to be tight with the standard king bed, corner chair, two piece desk and entertainment/dresser arrangement. A better design could have opened the room up a lot.
We ended up parking in the convention center parking lot, maximum of $20.00 a day. This beat the Marriott's $36.00/night rate and, as it turns out, since we stayed less than 24 hours (due in large part to their being no late check out) our parking fee was only $20.00.
The dining options were what they were. If you like a loud bar or a fancy-schmancy restaurant, this is the place. We wanted neither so walked to one of the ample options within within a couple of blocks.

What passes for a coffee shop/convenience store in the lobby was disappointing. It was almost sad. A few day old Danish, some packaged cereal and a couple of spotted bananas. While it had good traffic the morning of the race (perhaps too much, all those runners trying to get caffeinated) overall it was a below average convenience store.

So no big kudos for the Marriott. It could have been so much more but it failed to take the lead. If I attend next year's half-marathon my search will continue.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher level room on the west side, higher than the convention center.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank KenVicLee
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We stayed here September 26, 2011 My husband had to go to see the doctor in San Jose and we stayed one night. We were welcomed when we walked in and the service at the front desk was excellent. The location is very good for downtown and close to the freeways. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. We were on the 16th floor and asked for a wake up call so we could make a early morning appointment. Everything was right on time and friendly. Valet was expensive $26.00 a night. Close to SFO airport about 30 minute drive maybe longer depends on traffic. I am crazy for a clean room, comfortable bed and service. All was better than average, they do need to had extra mirror in bathroom for putting on makeup.
We would stay there again and we are glad that they read our reviews:)

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny....a lot of windows. The bathtubs are nice and deep.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Facility looks fine, though valet parking area is very small and congested. Bar had good selections of beers on tap, but was a little too much loud music being pumped in late at night. Room was up to date in terms of base comfort, wireless was $13 for 24 hours (hate it but it is typical of larger hotels), and coffee was single cup brew and pretty good. Major issues I had were no bath towels (made due with floor and hand towels), and being woken @ 5am by noise associated with convention center (truck loading of loud clanging metal parts). Convention center proximity should be viewed as double edge sword to this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2011

Yes only stayed here one night on Friday sept the 2nd. I must have walked through the front doors and out a dozen times and not once a Bellman or Valet or even a girl standing behind a stand even say "Hi" once. Im not making this up. The hotel has a good location near the some shopping and eating a few blocks away.
I was on the 9th floor, I left for the evening at 7 pm and set the a/c system down to 65. When I came back at 11:30 it was no where that cold. The room was ok, no clock which I thought was weird for a hotel. The shower did not have very good water pressure. And when you call the "may how I help you line" on the phone no one answers. So there is alot of things this place needs work on. I will not stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo