“Would have been better with power”
Review of San Jose Marriott

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Manteca, California
“Would have been better with power”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

My best friend and I decided to stay here for one night. Our package included valet parking and breakfast Sunday morning. Our stay was cut short due to a power outage. The front desk staff was very polite and offered to call other hotels for availability since there were no other empty rooms in the hotel with power. We were offered glow sticks to take back to the room, but we didn't feel comfortable staying there with no power. It was after midnight, and there was no estimated time of the power returning, so we decided to go home.

The valet was prompt and professional, and we never got a chance to try the breakfast. There is DJ River in the lounge which serves food and drinks. It's something to do if you don't feel like leaving the hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, 27 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to offer a review of the San Jose Marriott! We apologize for the issues that you faced during your stay. Unfortunately we experienced a power outage due to a mechanical failure beyond our control. Please feel free to call the hotel at 1-408-280-1300 and ask to speak to our Director of Operations, Mr. Raman Natarajan, if you would like to discuss this matter further. We hope you will join us in the future and be able to enjoy the full hotel experience.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stay at this particular location frequently for business and volleyball tournament. Even during chaotic times.... the staff is extremely polite, helpful and with personality. It's the first place I look when booking. Definitely better all around from the other hotels in Downtown San Jose.

Room Tip: The location even made me breakfast for a later night after hours dinner option. I was thrilled.
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for sharing your experience at the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate your kind comments on our polite and helpful staff as we take great pride in our guest services. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!
Paris, France
Reviewed 24 February 2014

The service and hospitality of the staff in this Marriott are the standard that all others should be judged against. The rooms are clean and large, beds comfortable, but it is the staff and the food that can make an ordinary Marriott be...... extraordinary.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank MarkJH H
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review! We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed the level of service at our hotel as we take pride in our guest services. Thank you for your kind comments on our dining and comfortable rooms as well. We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I stayed here two nights on business in February 2014. Overall, I had a nice experience--about what I would expect from a Marriott.

Good things: service at the desk was fast and polite on both check-in and check-out; Marriott Rewards status was recognized by the hotel. The concierge lounge, on the 26th floor, had a very nice breakfast available and also did a nice job with evening appetizers, etc. The concierge lounge includes a fantastic outdoor patio--a great place to enjoy the beautiful California weather. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable.

Bad things: the room and hallways were looking a bit worn. Not gross, but starting to have that "renovation time is upon us" look--slightly faded carpet, older furniture, not very modern, etc. Internet in the room was so slow, especially on the first night, as to barely be useful. The valet at this hotel, while very good service-wise, is SLOW--it took nearly 20 minutes for my car to be retrieved, even on a morning where I was leaving at 5:00a.

Overall, it was fine, and I would certainly look at staying there again when business brings me to the area.

1 Thank brmusicman
Thank you for sharing your experience at the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate your honest feedback, both positive and negative, as this allows us to continue to maintain and improve the guest experience. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the concierge lounge as well as our staff service. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!
Union, Washington
Reviewed 23 February 2014

This Marriott is clean, comfortable and in a great location for getting to all the major things in downtown San Jose. The staff were friendly, timely and responsive in every way. I'd stay here again for sure!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Labhadventures
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, 24 February 2014
Thank you for joining us at the San Jose Marriott! We are glad to know that you enjoyed the location, our staff, and the clean facilities. We appreciate the time you have taken to write a review and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

Its now been over an hour and the Marriott's rooms are ALL without that power. For someone who wants to prepare for a meeting tomorrow and needs medical equipment for sleeping that's not a good thing. On top of that I can only say DO NOT get room 300 on a weekend night. I can typically sleep through anything however its pretty much impossible when your room sounds like you have your own personal DJ from the club beneath. Nothing quite says goodnight like Busta Rhymes let me clear my throat and the DJ congratulating the newly weds.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank radge44
Thank you for your feedback, as it helps us to maintain and improve our guest experience. We apologize for the negative experiences during your stay. Please feel free to call the hotel at 1-408-280-1300 and ask to speak to our Director of Operations, Mr. Raman Natarajan, if you would like to discuss this matter further.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Have stayed at this location more recently a handful of times. Front desk has always been extremely kind and friendly, it seems with one particular employee I always have problems. The first time, I was given a room that was still occupied (the bedding was stripped, and lights were on, door was help open with latch lock). The associate gave me another room which was fine, but what if I'd walked in on someone? That would be horrific.
This last time I checked in just a few days ago, the SAME associate charged the incidental fee on my card TWICE. Called yesterday to get a very unhelpful employee who pretty much was laughing through the whole conversation.Didn't even try to help me, or apologize. Told me I just had to wait until MONDAY to talk to "the person that takes care of that"
I've had the door (of the a.c /thermostat) literally fall off the wall in the middle of the night exposing the dust, and dirty air filters-very un-safe considering I have my 3 year old with me) I called the front desk immediately and was told that they really couldn't do anything, and for me to move it and MAYBE tomorrow someone would come and fix it. No offer of moving rooms, even after I told them I felt that it was unsafe for my child.
As for the rooms, very clean, but some are small and the double beds are small. Why they don't offer two queens is beyond me. Everytime I check in, I always ask for a king with some type of sofa bed, and always have received the same answer that none are available at that time.
PARKING is either 29 or so dollars for VALET or 20 dollars for self parking in the Convention center parking (bit of a long walk for some). Not many other options near-by. So on top of the parking fee, theres also the INTERNET FEE. It's something ridiculous like 10.95 ? You'd think this hotel in the heart of silicon valley would at least give their guests complimentary internet considering they just paid a ridiculous amount for parking, etc.
Overall, the location is great. Right in downtown, close to freeways, wonderful restaurants, convention center, etc. But with all the fee's it's hardly worth the hassle.
I'm highly disappointed as i'm always a big fan of all Marriott hotels. Every time I come here theres been a problem that no one seems to eve care about nor even want to TRY to fix.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have MUCH more space. Ask for a higher floor and one with a view of downtown. It'...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Marki T
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We apologize for the issues that you have faced during your stay. Thank you for your feedback, as it helps us to maintain and improve our guest experience. Please feel free to call the hotel at 1-408-280-1300 and ask to speak to our Director of Operations, Mr. Raman Natarajan, if you would like to discuss this further.