“Enjoyable stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Vancouver
“Enjoyable stay”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

I was in San Jose for business and stayed at the San Jose Marriott for 5 nights. All of the staff I encountered were terrific, couldn't do enough for you. There was a convention when I first checked in and a king room wasn't available. I asked about moving the next day and was told to stop by the front desk in the morning which I did. A king had become available and it was already clean. Rooms were clean, quiet and well appointed. A VERY minor complaint I would have is only one bar of soap in the bathroom. Had to keep moving the soap from the sink to the shower, not a big deal and I suppose it's a more "green" approach.
After I had checked out and moved to the next city I realized that I had forgotten a package at the front desk. I called the hotel and told them of my problem and could they hold the package until I returned 5 days later. This was not a problem and when I did return 5 days later I picked up my package without issue.
I would recommend the San Jose Marriott any time.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate all of your honest feedback as we strive to provide the best guest experience possible. We are happy to hear that we were able to accommodate your room upgrade and return your forgotten item without issue. Your kind comments regarding our clean, quiet and well appointed rooms are greatly appreciated. We are especially grateful that you found our staff to be terrific as we pride ourselves on offering excellent customer service. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Wyckoff, New Jersey
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Excellent customer service - starting with front desk during check-in and continued through 3-day stay for conference and other business. Interfaced with housekeeping, managers, restaurant/conscierge staff - all staff provideed exceeded my expectations for customer service. The hotel location is ideal for convention center and walking distance to local restaurants and attractions.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for writing a review of your recent business stay at the San Jose Marriott! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our ideal location that provided convenient access to the convention center and local restaurants and attractions. We greatly appreciate your kind comments regarding our excellent customer service that extended throughout all hotel employees. We pride ourselves on offering fabulous customer service and we are extremely pleased that our staff exceeded your expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!
Ridgecrest, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014

As nice as this hotel is, and as friendly and helpful as the staff was, I won't be returning. I needed to work on our family weekend away, which required the use of internet. I was not surprised to find that they charged for internet service, but I was astounded at both the price AND the apparent requirement for every device in a room to pay for it separately. Each time someone tried to connect with iPod, tablet, or laptop, it popped up with an agreement to terms of service and charge. Considering we had four people in one room and two in the other, this could almost have racked up a three digit per day charge.
The first day, we didn't notice this and I expected a large charge on my bill. Not happy. The receipt only reflects one charge per room, however; so while you do agree to pay this for each device, they don't actually charge per device but per room. Or, they did for us. Who knows if that is usual or a fluke. Parking is also a separate and quite large charge. One night, the parking garage was full when we arrived back at the hotel at 10 p.m. necessitating that we use valet parking to avoid walking blocks in the dark to get back to the hotel. So our parking charge increased by almost 50% for that too.
Additionally, they do not allow you to use the luggage carts without someone manning them. I've always been a cheerful tipper, but being put in situations where I'm required to use a service that requires said tips takes the joy out of tipping. Because of the valet issue, we needed the cart, but they required someone to man it. I've never been "forbidden" to use a luggage cart myself.
All that to say,, we could have stayed at a nicer hotel when you rack up the "hidden" (Small print--undefined amounts) charges at the Marriott. I'm just thankful that the place was otherwise a nice place. We won't be back out of principle, but we at least don't have a bad taste in our mouths and others might not be as bothered as we were.
Do be careful when walking around the neighborhood. There are strange characters in Downtown San Jose. I was accosted by a woman who appeared to charge me, screaming in my face at the top of her lungs. I do not know if she was mentally impaired or has a sick sense of humor and likes to annoy people for sport.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Chautona
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, 24 April 2014
Thank you for sharing a review of the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate your positive comments on our hotel as well as our friendly and helpful staff. We appreciate your honest feedback, as this allows us to work toward improving the guest experience. We are disappointed to hear about the obstacles you faced during your stay. For future reference, we do charge per room and per day with the use of the devices. The convention center public parking is $20 per day with no in and out privilege and the Valet is $29 per day with in and out privilege. We hope that you will consider joining us again in the future, as you did enjoy our hotel and friendly staff. Again, thank you for taking the time to offer a detailed review.
Hayward, California
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Very clean comfortable plush hotel.
The staff is friendly and anticipates guest needs. The room was super quiet and came with a great view. This hotel is a definite 10. I am looking forward to my next visit.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thank you for choosing the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate your loyalty and are thrilled to hear that you have enjoyed multiple stays with us. Thank you for your positive feedback on our location and particularly our staff, as we take great pride in our guest services. We look forward to the pleasure of your return one day soon!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 16 April 2014

One of my favorite places to staff. The staff is second to none. The location is fantastic.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, 17 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your experience at the San Jose Marriott! We are thrilled to hear that you have continued to your enjoy your time with us. We appreciate your positive feedback concerning our staff, as we strive for the best in our guest services. It is great to know that you enjoy our downtown location as well. Thank you for choosing Marriott and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future!
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the San Jose Marriott very much.
I felt pampered by all the staff.
Valet was very prompt with my car, as was room service.
The fitness room was clean, spacious and the pool was heated as advertised.
The gift store/snack/coffee/pastry service had everything you'd need and more, friendly staff always.
My room had a wonderful view, very clean and updated, good layout, the bathroom was well proportioned, room staff always pleasant and accommodating.
All in all a, wonderful place to unwind, relax and feel comfortable.

Room Tip: Higher floors had great views and are quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for choosing the San Jose Marriott! It is wonderful to hear that you felt so welcomed and taken care of by our staff, as we pride ourselves on our guest services. Thank you for your positive comments on everything from our valet service to the view from your room. We hope you will join us in the future, should your travels bring you back to San Jose.
Orange County
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Decent price and a standard hotel in San Jose. An easy walk to great restaurants and the SAP Center. The parking is expensive but that's normally in any busy downtown. That fact it takes 15 minutes to get your car from valet isn't. Otherwise I would stay there again if in town. Checking-in was really quick.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
We are so glad to hear that you have enjoyed your time at the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate your honest feedback, as this helps us to maintain and improve the guest experience. Thank you for your positive comments on our location and check-in process. We hope to be able to welcome you again in the future.