“Very Nice”

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Awesome Marriott property. I travel frequently for work and thought this hotel had it all. Very welcoming and friendly staff, great pool and workout facility, and very nice rooms. Property was clean and well kept. I'd stay again and bring the family.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your review of the San Jose Marriott! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our great pool and workout facility, nice rooms, and clean, well kept property. Offering excellent customer service is something we continuously strive for so we are especially happy that you found our staff to be very welcoming and friendly. We appreciate all of your kind comments regarding our hotel and we look forward to welcoming you, and hopefully your family, in the future!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I arrived early in the morning, ten hours before check in time. I expected to check my bags and attend my scheduled meetings. The room was waiting. Similarly at Check out, things went smoothly.

All the basics associated with a high quality room were there. I did not notice a nit to pick. Excellent, but this is why I selected the hotel.

Room Tip: I usually favor hotels based upon location to my business plan. Then I go for assured creature comf...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for writing a review of the San Jose Marriott! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Your kind comments regarding the smooth check-in and check-out and high quality room are greatly appreciated. We are pleased that you found our hotel to be excellent and that it met your expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is an awesome hotel. Very nice during check-in, I felt very welcome. Treated well by all employees. Love the location, close to lots of places to eat, few hundred feet from light rail station, and right next door to the Convention Center.

Room Tip: Rooms facing SW & SE can see Airplanes on final approach to San Jose Airport ... they come reall...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Thank you for writing a review of the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate all of your kind comments regarding our hotel. We are happy to hear that you immediately felt welcome in our hotel and enjoyed our convenient location near the Convention Center, various restaurants and other local attractions. We are especially pleased that you were treated well by all employees as we continuously strive to offer excellent customer service. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed 27 April 2014

Though my stay here was brief, it was nonetheless satisfying. The hotel is located right downtown and is linked to the convention center. The Light Rail stops right outside (get off at the Convention Center stop), making traveling around the city and even to the airport (via connection with a free bus) simple and easy. There are numerous other hotels and restaurants in the area, too.

Check-in was friendly, quick, and personalized. The lobby was fine. The hotel also features a great 24-hour expansive gym, complete with chilled towels and fruit.

The room itself was nothing special. The bedding was the standard Marriott bedding and was - oh so comfortable - allowing for a great night's rest! I'm not sure if Marriott has changed their bathroom amenities system-wide or not, but this hotel did not have the standard Bath & Body Works amenities -- instead offering an off-brand, but still very good. The show had good temperature control and good pressure. Air-conditioning worked well and kept the room cool.

This hotel provided me with everything I need, and I would not hesitate to return when in the area again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for writing a review of the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate your feedback regarding your recent stay. We are pleased to hear that you appreciated our convenient location, expansive gym, and comfortable room. Your kind comments about our friendly staff that offered you a quick and personalized check-in are greatly appreciated as we take pride in offering fantastic customer service. We look forward to welcoming you again in the future to offer you another enjoyable stay!

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I was in San Jose for business and stayed at the San Jose Marriott for 5 nights. All of the staff I encountered were terrific, couldn't do enough for you. There was a convention when I first checked in and a king room wasn't available. I asked about moving the next day and was told to stop by the front desk in the morning which I did. A king had become available and it was already clean. Rooms were clean, quiet and well appointed. A VERY minor complaint I would have is only one bar of soap in the bathroom. Had to keep moving the soap from the sink to the shower, not a big deal and I suppose it's a more "green" approach.
After I had checked out and moved to the next city I realized that I had forgotten a package at the front desk. I called the hotel and told them of my problem and could they hold the package until I returned 5 days later. This was not a problem and when I did return 5 days later I picked up my package without issue.
I would recommend the San Jose Marriott any time.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate all of your honest feedback as we strive to provide the best guest experience possible. We are happy to hear that we were able to accommodate your room upgrade and return your forgotten item without issue. Your kind comments regarding our clean, quiet and well appointed rooms are greatly appreciated. We are especially grateful that you found our staff to be terrific as we pride ourselves on offering excellent customer service. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Excellent customer service - starting with front desk during check-in and continued through 3-day stay for conference and other business. Interfaced with housekeeping, managers, restaurant/conscierge staff - all staff provideed exceeded my expectations for customer service. The hotel location is ideal for convention center and walking distance to local restaurants and attractions.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for writing a review of your recent business stay at the San Jose Marriott! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our ideal location that provided convenient access to the convention center and local restaurants and attractions. We greatly appreciate your kind comments regarding our excellent customer service that extended throughout all hotel employees. We pride ourselves on offering fabulous customer service and we are extremely pleased that our staff exceeded your expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

As nice as this hotel is, and as friendly and helpful as the staff was, I won't be returning. I needed to work on our family weekend away, which required the use of internet. I was not surprised to find that they charged for internet service, but I was astounded at both the price AND the apparent requirement for every device in a room to pay for it separately. Each time someone tried to connect with iPod, tablet, or laptop, it popped up with an agreement to terms of service and charge. Considering we had four people in one room and two in the other, this could almost have racked up a three digit per day charge.
The first day, we didn't notice this and I expected a large charge on my bill. Not happy. The receipt only reflects one charge per room, however; so while you do agree to pay this for each device, they don't actually charge per device but per room. Or, they did for us. Who knows if that is usual or a fluke. Parking is also a separate and quite large charge. One night, the parking garage was full when we arrived back at the hotel at 10 p.m. necessitating that we use valet parking to avoid walking blocks in the dark to get back to the hotel. So our parking charge increased by almost 50% for that too.
Additionally, they do not allow you to use the luggage carts without someone manning them. I've always been a cheerful tipper, but being put in situations where I'm required to use a service that requires said tips takes the joy out of tipping. Because of the valet issue, we needed the cart, but they required someone to man it. I've never been "forbidden" to use a luggage cart myself.
All that to say,, we could have stayed at a nicer hotel when you rack up the "hidden" (Small print--undefined amounts) charges at the Marriott. I'm just thankful that the place was otherwise a nice place. We won't be back out of principle, but we at least don't have a bad taste in our mouths and others might not be as bothered as we were.
Do be careful when walking around the neighborhood. There are strange characters in Downtown San Jose. I was accosted by a woman who appeared to charge me, screaming in my face at the top of her lungs. I do not know if she was mentally impaired or has a sick sense of humor and likes to annoy people for sport.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Chautona
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2014

Thank you for sharing a review of the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate your positive comments on our hotel as well as our friendly and helpful staff. We appreciate your honest feedback, as this allows us to work toward improving the guest experience. We are disappointed to hear about the obstacles you faced during your stay. For future reference, we do charge per room and per day with the use of the devices. The convention center public parking is $20 per day with no in and out privilege and the Valet is $29 per day with in and out privilege. We hope that you will consider joining us again in the future, as you did enjoy our hotel and friendly staff. Again, thank you for taking the time to offer a detailed review.