“close to everything”

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 July 2014

I do think this hotel is ideal if you are attending a conference at The San Jose Conference center (because it is one door away of it) or if you are doing business n the downtown area because it is located in the heart of the downtown.

The hotel has a couple of restaurants that didn’t surprise me because they have a very limited menu and it was very conventional. The room service menu was more limited so I decided to go out for diner.

I found that the hotel is a walk distance from a very noce area (1st ave) full of really good Bars and restaurants so I got better value from my money as I was able to have a delicious diner way cheaper than what I had to pay at the hotel rest

The room was okay and the bathroom was big and clean. The noise isolation was not that good so I’ll recommend you to say away from any room close to the elevators unless you want to hear how often people use those at 2 AM 

The staff in the lobby is very courteous and willing o help you. During my 3 days I saw all of them with a big smile and welcoming people passing by which means a lot for me as am the type of guy that always say good morning and expect and answer’

Valet parking is fast but pricey (normal abusive California rates) however you can park your car at the convention center parking for $20/day and walk few steps.

Check-out and check-in process is very fast and effortless so they know very well how to meet guest expectations in terms of speed

What I didn’t like at all was the micro starbucks coffee shop/ gift shop/mini market all-in-one located in the lobby area because I got non-fresh pasties 2 days in a row and decided to do not give another shoot. The first day I ordered a muffin to later realize in the middle of the highway that it was not fresh, the 2nd day I ordered a chocolate croissant and tried it right there and to return it for the same reason. I exchanged it for a non-chocolate croissant and it was the same. I complained that this does not makes sense as it was 7:30 am so stuff should be fresh

Will I return? Yes and it is not because the hotel itself (it was not that spectacular) but because location, cleanliness and staff service

Room Tip: Away from elevators
1  Thank nportillo
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2014

Thank you for writing a review of the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate your positive feedback about our great location, our rooms and particularly our friendly and welcoming staff. We take great pride in our guest services! Thank you for your honest feedback regarding the breakfast items, as it helps us to maintain and improve our guest experience. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

The chemical warfare going on in my room did NOT make me happy when I arrived! I am severely allergic to this stuff and did not expect a problem at a major hotel chain that I frequent regularly. I called down and they offered to send up some kind of ionizer and switch out my bedding with 'green bedding'...um why not just use them in all of the rooms, why do I have to specially request a chemical-free room??? Apparently you need to request a clean-air room in advance...not sure how I would know that when I've never stayed at a Marriott that sprayed my room with chemicals before, but I guess now I know. As far as the rest of the room...I don't know because I was gagging and had to leave immediately. We'll see how the ionizer works when I return.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thank you for choosing the San Jose Marriott for your recent stay. It is our foremost goal to create a comfortable and relaxing room environment for our guests. We apologize if the cleaning supplies used presented a problem, but we are glad to hear that the issue was resolved quickly and efficiently. We are delighted to provide chemical-free rooms when requested by our guests. We appreciate you taking the time to provide your honest feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

I am in a hotel 4 of 7 days each week. The room was airy and clean. plenty of electrical outlets at the desk and there was a quality high speed internet access. I had access to the club level lounge which had he best hotel "free" breakfast I have seen in years (at least in the U.S.). Deck that was attached to breakfast area offered a wonderful view.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Thank you for choosing San Jose Marriott for your recent stay. We are thrilled to hear that you were so impressed with our rooms, the club level lounge and our beautiful views. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We recently stayed at the Marriott in San Jose. The gentleman who checked us in was very friendly and helpful. He went above and beyond. The rooms were worn and not very appealing. Our room was missing one of the closet doors. The bed was okay but pillows were minimal. We had to call down for extras, which were brought up. The bathroom okay. Extra towels were provided to us. They have switched from providing shower bar soap to shower gel. Okay if that's what you like but I still prefer the bar soap. We had a room next to the elevators and it was surprisingly quiet. We had breakfast in the restaurant and it was very good. Opt for parking and breakfast to be included in your nightly rate. The downstairs bar was quiet one night and very busy the next. It was pleasant when it wasn't busy but a nightmare when it was. Check out was fast and friendly. Location couldn't be beat as we had an easy time walking around the area. When we had to drive somewhere, it was easy to get to where we were going.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 13 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your honest feedback. We are thrilled to know that you experienced efficient and friendly service throughout your stay. We are also glad to hear that you enjoyed breakfast in Arcadia and that our location was convenient for you. We appreciate your comments on the rooms and pillows. It is our goal to create an comfortable and relaxing room environment for our guests and we will use your review to help direct us toward that goal. We hope to have the chance to serve you again in your future travels!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We chose this hotel because it is directly linked to the convention center where TKD Nationals were taking place. The room was nothing special and the view was nothing special. No fridge in the room. No Wifi. No free parking. Lots of taxes and fees though!

The personnel was nice though. Each time I called the front desk they were very nice and responsive.

I will say that there was a room service cart left in the hallway for THREE DAYS! YUCK!! I called, but even after I called it took another day. Gross.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Thank you for joining us during the TDK Nationals. We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback on the San Jose Marriott. Your honest comments help us to maintain and improve our guest experience. We are glad to know that you enjoyed our helpful and professional staff! However, we apologize for the situation with the food cart. We pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service and will share your comments with our team to ensure that this does not happen again. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future!

Reviewed 10 July 2014

We stayed at the Marriott in July. We had an early flight and the hotel is just a few minutes away.
The beds were comfortable and the room was spacious. Parking was $26. I don't know why it can't be included? We had a nice martini and finger food late at the bar.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for choosing the San Jose Marriott! We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed our comfortable and spacious rooms as well as our convenient location and food and beverage services. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback on the parking fees, as it helps us to maintain and improve our guest experience. Thank you for sharing a review with us and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

OUTSTANDING!

Last there in 2012. The facility is better. Rooms nice and quiet. Internet was faster than any I have used. No delays. Easy access to downtown stores.

Staff was very helpful and very responsive. For example, I did not have a cup for making coffee and they sent someone in under ten minutes. Perfect. Please let staff know I appreciated.

I did not use the restaurant of other food facilities as I was at a conference all day. What I needed was available and service was excellent.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

We are thrilled to hear that you returned to enjoy your stay with us here at the San Jose Marriott. We are especially pleased to hear that you found our staff to be so helpful. We look forward to sharing your positive feedback with our team. We appreciate the time you have taken to share a review of your experience and we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!