“Good for Airport Proximity”
Review of San Jose Marriott

San Jose Marriott
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Good for Airport Proximity”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Good spot for a quick stop in town and if you need to be near the airport. Neighborhood is weird on weekend, total business district that seems to be mostly empty on at least Sunday. The hotel was nice, friendly service, they upgraded us to a corner room with a nice view. Was an easy walk to some of the spots on 1st Street. I would recommend a more thorough cleaning of the bathroom, my husband noticed a condom in the bathroom garbage can; but other than that the room seemed quite clean. Easy drive to the airport the next morning. Valet parking was extra $25 or so I think. And wifi was extra, which is one of my big pet peeves, especially as a Marriott rewards member.

Room Tip: Get a high floor room, here are nice views, and a corner room is extra nice. Could see all the plan...
Green Features: Condom in the bathroom garbage can when we arrived? Maybe they need to work on general cleaning first.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of your stay at the San Jose Marriott! We are glad to know that you enjoyed our convenient location to the airport, the friendly service, and your upgrade to a corner room. We are sorry to hear about your experience in your room. The hotel is reviewing this with the team to see how garbage was missed. Please feel free to call the hotel and ask for the Director of Operations if you would like to discuss this further.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Orange County, CA
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I was blown away by this hotel. Everything was updated and clean and the staff couldn't be any nicer. Also the wifi has been recently upgraded so I was able to stream videos with no issues. The central location is just the icing on the cake. I will absolutely return!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Elaine A, Guest Relations Manager at San Jose Marriott, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for reviewing the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate your kind comments regarding our efficient Wi-Fi, updated and clean hotel, and central location. We are pleased to hear that our staff could not have been any nicer as we are constantly striving to offer excellent customer service. We look forward to welcoming you in the future to blow you away again!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 16 August 2014

As a frequent traveler, I do my best to remain loyal to one hotel brand to reap the rewards of their program. Over the past 10 years, I have stuck to that strategy fairly religiously. My experience at the San Jose Marriott has that streak in serious jeopardy - and I did not even take advantage of all of the amenities.

First, you will notice the friendly and engaging employees. Everywhere. Not in your face looking for a tip, but genuinely looking to assist. Check-in took less than a minute and I didn't use the app.

The lobby area is expansive, with plenty of spots to relax, look at iPads or have a coffee. A comfortable upscale feel.

Since I am bottom rung loyalty member, I got the most basic room. I'll take it anytime. It was immaculate. Felt bigger than it was due to the three huge windows. Comfortable bed. Modern bath area, And, they have the BEST wifi!(free for higher level loyalty members) I paid for the basic level and it was more than satisfactory for email and streaming music. This is a major bonus in my book. Half of the hotels I have stayed at this year have such poor internet that I was relegated to going off-site to work.

As far as the other amenities, the pool is big enough for laps and the hot tub was a gathering spot. The mod Tanq bar was packed every night and I heard the Arcadia restaurant was very good. I took advantage of the newsstand/grab-n-go store which had plenty of Starbucks items and other halfway-healthy to-go items.

If you were trying to find that perfect hotel in downtown SJ, I found it. Try it out and I bet you feel the same.

Room Tip: if you only need to do email, download files and stream music, the basic wifi is sufficient.
1 Thank Enachi
Thank you for taking the time to write a thorough review of the San Jose Marriott! Your kind comments regarding our comfortable and expansive lobby, well-equipped rooms, and satisfactory Wi-Fi are greatly appreciated. We are especially grateful for your feedback on our friendly, helpful, and engaging staff as we pride ourselves on offering excellent customer service. Overall, we are pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of many of our amenities and for those you didn't have a chance to enjoy, you heard good reviews of! We look forward to welcoming you again in the future and offering another great stay!
Cedar City, Utah
Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

I have grown to expect this out of higher rated hotels, but it should be backwards. The more you spend to stay, the less you have to pay for. $8 Internet access, $31 overnight valet, or $20 overnight public parking, no free breakfast of any sort. I better be careful, they may charge me for using the nice soaps. But overall, it is still a very nice establishment. The bed was very comfy, rooms clean, new TV system was nice, and great staff.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share a review of the San Jose Marriott! We appreciate your honest feedback, both positive and negative, as your comments allow us to continue to work to improve the guest experience. We are glad to know that you enjoyed your comfortable room and our great staff. We take great pride in our guest services. We hope to be able to welcome you again in the future, should your travels bring you back to San Jose.
Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed 14 August 2014

The people are great but unfortunetly they bought a new TV system that has many bugs and so my TV did not work in my room for the 3 days I stayed there. The first night after crawling into bed, I turned on my TV and it didn't work. I had to wait for an engineer to come up and fix it. The next day the same thing but this time after waiting an hour no engineer showed up and I fell a sleep and gave up on the TV. The front desk gave me some poiints and apologized but for a $300/ night room I would expect a TV. Everything else was great and the location is great too. Staff are the best.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review of the San Jose Marriott! Thank you for your honest feedback regarding the issues with the television set, we understand the inconvenience it imposed but we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the rest of your experience with us and our location. We are especially pleased to hear that you found our staff to be the best as customer service is something we pride ourselves on. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!
Whittier, California, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2014

As soon as I walked in I felt at home. Best service ever!!! Everyone was friendly and helpful. I was upgraded to an Executive Suite that was almost bigger than my house! This trip was for business but you can bet I will be beck for pleasure :-)

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for sharing your review of your recent business stay at the San Jose Marriott! We are extremely pleased to hear that we were able to make you feel comfortable and at home with our spacious suite and welcoming nature. Your kind comments regarding our friendly and helpful staff are especially appreciated as we take great pride in our customer service. We are happy to hear you will be back and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future!
Oakley, California
Reviewed 13 August 2014

This Hotel has a new GM (2014) who is very interested in making this hotel one of the best in the area. The staff is courteous (the Front Desk Manager has been there for years) and is very pleasant. When booking a room, be sure to ask about upcoming events, you may want to face away from noise. Also, stay away from the elevator lobbies. Special requests don't seem to bother them at all and they are quick to respond. Do not be shy about asking for extra pillows, towels, or anything else. They are great. Not very romantic though. They have two types of internet, depending on your needs. Pretty cool!

Room Tip: Face away from the downtown area and stay away from elevator lobbies.
Green Features: The housekeeping staff are amazingly helpful. Just leave them a note and your requests are granted.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review the San Jose Marriott! Thank you for providing great travel tips and sharing your kind comments regarding our accommodating nature. We especially appreciate your feedback about our pleasant, courteous, and overall great staff as we pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the future!