“Clean, good service”

Ranked #32 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Ottawa, Canada
“Clean, good service”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed here for 2 weeks. This property is clean and safe, quite adequate and consistent with the Marriott standard. It was good value for me in the Silicon Valley area, relative to comparable properties in better locations. The location was not ideal (in south-west San Jose and surrounded by car dealerships), but the price was right. On the upside, it's walking distance (about 30 min) to Santana Row with its posh overdone restaurants and shopping. The front desk staff are courteous and helpful. Stand-up, self-serve breakfast in the reception area is included and you can grab your coffee and breakfast items and eat in your suite (which I preferred). Free wi-fi works well and is fast. Suite was spacious and functional with a nice, large office desk, sitting area, and small fully equipped kitchen. The laundry facilities are convenient, clean, and easily accessible. A/C was a bit loud, but if you open the windows at night, it's not needed. Appliances were old, but clean. Overall good experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed here for one month. The room was comfortable: chair and love seat, kitchenette, comfortable queen-sized bed, LARGE desk with lots of storage room. Everything in the room worked well: dishwasher, oven, stove, fridge (with ice-maker) and ample dishes, pots, cutlery, etc.. The air conditioner wasn't very loud, good water pressure, iron and decent ironing board. Always available parking.
We didn't realize until we arrived that the hotel only accepted small dogs. Our dog is a gentle, quiet, crate-trained, non-shedding boy, but mid-sized. After the manager met our dog an exception was made. There's a space at the rear of the hotel with poop bags and ample grass for a dog to relieve himself. I found most of the owners did pick up after their dogs and the area was always clean. The only negative: the fenced pool area is the only area with outside seating, and unfortunately was identified as a dog-free zone.
The coin laundry area is well maintained and they provide powder laundry soap and drier sheets. There's a computer/printer located in the lobby which helped us out tremendously many times. They offer free breakfast: cereal, yogurt, bagels, fruit, coffee, juice. Always well stocked and everything you need for a healthy start to the day.
It's the staff that truly shine here though: The staff at reception would always smile and say hello. They were quick to help us out with mail, providing change for laundry, faxing documents, and helping us use the printer. Maintenance was quick to repair a clogged bathtub drain when requested. Cleaning staff kept us well stocked with towels, dishwasher detergent, dish soap, etc. They did a good job of cleaning our room, sometimes when we were out and had left our dog in his crate in the room! Everyone we met were pleasant, helpful and professional. It really made a difference.
After leaving this hotel I realize I miss one more thing: the evening cookies at reception! I think I was addicted to those: we took many, many trips past the lobby just to peek in the window and see if the plate of cookies was out. My favorite: oatmeal raison. Mmmmm....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Brea, California
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We recently made a reservation thru Marriott 800# to stay 1 night to visit our nephew in a nearby children’s hospital. We were on route home from a family vacation with packed van, retired guide dog, kids and all. We drove 4 hours to get there knowing the facility accepted pets; at least that's what we were told on the phone. Come check in time with Manager, she says no dogs over 25 lbs.! She wouldn't budge on the policy even though we drove 4 hours to get there and wanted to get to the hospital to see our nephew.
She kept us waiting for an hour while on the phone w/corp office trying to find an alternative hotel. Anyone with a heart would've let us stay. Worst service I've ever experienced in a hotel mgr. Their website and posted policy at location has no pet pound restrictions, obviously we reported her but never heard back from the corporate office.
We made the reservations over the phone and she kept telling me well our web site states no dogs over 25 lbs. Hello I wasn’t on her web page I made the reservations over the phone.
This was a retired guide dog give me a break, I just wanted to get to the hospital!!!!
When we returned home I was even more disgusted when I checked their local web page
“fact sheet page” it reads:
Pet Policy
• Pets allowed, non-refundable sanitation fee: 100 USD; contact hotel for details

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank 342Michael
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights on business because Palo Alto hotels were either booked or too expensive, and it was a good choice. The hotel’s location is quite convenient – right off the freeway, and centrally located if you need to move around the area. As a business guest, having a 2-bedroom suite was a bit much, but I liked having the extra space – one room to sleep in, one room for my clothes, and a living room where I could work using the free internet. The décor and furniture are kind of cheap and outdated, but functional. The door to one of the bedrooms would not stay open, and the interior doors themselves are so flimsy they seem to be made out of paper.

That said, there were only two things I considered real problems with the room: there was no full-length mirror, and the refrigerator was extremely loud! I think every hotel room I have ever stayed in had a full-length mirror except this one. And the refrigerator…! It sounded like something heavy was crashing to the ground every 10 minutes or so.

The staff is fine, and the thank you note they left in the room on my last day was a nice touch. I did not try the breakfast – the description of “grab and go” did not sound appealing to me, so I skipped it.

The hotel is overall a very good value for the area, and would be perfect for a family with kids. It is a decent, if not obvious, choice for a business traveler to the Silicon Valley area looking for less expensive options.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I came to visit friends for a holiday weekend. I choose this location because of the two bedroom suite with two queen beds. The bedrooms were quiet and the beds were comfortable. Both the bedrooms and the living area had been updated since my last visit a few year ago and the kitchen was clean and adequate.

The hotel pool area provided a quiet and relaxing place to hang out with my friends.

I did not like the breakfast choices which were heavy on carbs. and light on protein. The breakfast was free so I consider that a minor detail.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
Nazareth, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 4 May 2013

There is no wooden drawer to keep your clothes. The closet has a closet space shelf rack where you keep your clothes. The cooker in the Kitchen is from the 70's or earlier, refitted with electric burners. You can see the refit because it doesn't fit very well, you have to keep pushing it down to fit as you cook. The bathroom counters is from the 60's and the hand sink is together with the bath, which is unlike most modern hotels I have stayed in. The equipment in the gym has a TV for each threadmill or elliptical but it works sometimes. Okay I am not going to neat pick except I don't like old settings, its one of the things I don't like about the Marriott brand until I stayed at a Residence.

The bed is comfortable, the TV is nice, the stay was okay for business but I certainly would not bring my family here.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank travellerTrader
Redding, California
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Whenever i make my trip to San Jose, this is one of the hotels that i try to always get. Location is great, rooms are nice and i always enjoy the convenience of the kitchen. Although i normally just use the kitchen for the fridge and microwave i have used the oven and stove a few times but i don't generally like using them because it's electric. The staff is always friendly and the beds are comfy. Also it is nice to have the free internet they provide in the rooms. Only thing's i would recommend is for them to have more dinnerware to use if you decide to cook and also to have a better stove and oven but other then that everything else is very satisfying to my needs.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
#46 of 75 in San Jose
Staybridge Suites San Jose
Staybridge Suites San Jose
#22 of 75 in San Jose

Been to TownePlace Suites San Jose Cupertino? Share your experiences!