“Great Staff Service & Comfortable Room”

Hampton Inn & Suites San Jose
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Great Staff Service & Comfortable Room”
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I've stayed at many Hampton Inn properties across the country. The staff at this San Jose property were friendly, energetic, and helpful. Each staff person I interacted provided the same level of quality support. The room was clean and well provided. The fitness center equipment was in excellent condition, which is important to note as the week prior I couldn't work out at a different Hampton Inn because the treadmill was shoddy. Don't be put off by this property being a "2 star" hotel. It's amenities are excellent. Staff is highly responsive. There is a nearby outdoor mall with all of the restaurants you'd want with any budget. I would return to this property if I'm back in town for business.

Room Tip: The studio suite in the second building has a unique layout with lots of space. Worth the experience...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Beaverton, OR, United States
Reviewed 14 June 2013

I am very pleased with our SJC Hampton Inn room. We had to change our reservation to a mobility access room and special shower. Most hotel brands would error, but this Hampton Inn had the correct room ready for us. Everything was very clean. All hotel employees were very friendly and helpful. The complimentary breakfast was delicious.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

San Jose, United States
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Cheerful personal, Very clean rooms, and spacious. Descent food and warm. Enjoyed this hotel and will be glad to recommend this hotel anytime anyone asks for advice where to stay. Just wish they had not sold some of their hotels hard to find a Hampton inn now in Stockton, near where I usually go to meetings.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo

Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This was a pretty standard Hampton Inn...newer construction and well-cared for. The staff were very nice. They were painting, so some of the doors were blocked, but it wasn't a big deal. The weather was nice and I didn't notice any paint smell in the room.

The room was nice. It was a bit odd in that the ceilings are quite tall (10 feet maybe?). The location is on the edge of a more industrial area of San Jose. There is a Grocery Outlet next door, and that was convenient since the room had a microwave and refrigerator.

Overall I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Upstairs might be better (we stayed on the first floor) since the plumbing tends to be rather loud.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Superior, Colorado
Reviewed 5 June 2013

I frequently stay at Hamptons because I'm a HiltonHonors member and get free nights. That being said, not all Hamptons are as good as the others. This one is average, with some good points and bad points. Speaking of points - this one was 30,000 points per night compared to 20,000 for the newer one in Morgan Hill. If you're just driving through San Jose, I'd drive the extra 30 minutes or so to the one in Morgan HIll.

We stayed here at the end of May, 2013 for one night. I was traveling with my teenage son.

Good points: the room with our 2 queen beds was large and had plenty of room. Not as large though as the Hampton we stayed in the next night (it also had a chair and ottoman). Beds were comfortable and we had plenty of towels and toiletries (although no shower cap - yeah I actually use them!)

The location for us was okay. I lived in San Jose for 15 years so I had no problems finding it from airport. But for those not from the city, it may not be so easy as you have to navigate a lot of busy streets to get here. Not an "airport" hotel by any means and not really close to downtown. So I think the location is sort of weird. We visited friends in south San Jose - about 10-15 minutes away. It's just off Monterey Road, which is convenient, but sort of a shady area of town. Not the sort of place you can walk from to restaurants, shopping, etc. Car is definitely needed.

Despite the area being busy, our room was quiet. However, I did notice that they were doing construction and painting, so if you were a late sleeper you'd be out of luck. Not sure when all of this will be done. The positive is that the Hotel does have a fresh clean look to it. I noticed that they were completing a second building - didn't appear to be open yet. So this will be quite a large property when done.

As we were out visiting friends that night, I didn't notice that the TV wasn't working until morning. Not a huge thing, but I do like to watch the local news in the morning.

Where they fell short was the breakfast service. I noticed that the employee in charge of the restocking the breakfast area was more busy socializing with the painters that keeping the food restocked. I noticed that waffle mix was about empty. Didn't see anyone around so I told the front desk clerk. He said that "oh, this happens because families come down on the weekend and they all have waffles and we run out." Well, first of all, it was Friday, not a Saturday or Sunday, and there weren't any families - primarily business people. Secondly, the employee was slacking off and not doing her job. At the Hampton in Morgan Hill I saw the breakfast person constantly buzzing around and keeping the area looking neat, clean, and restocked - a stark contrast to this Hampton.

However, they did have complimentary cookies when we arrived, as well as a little cocktail party (wine/beer/appetizers), so this extra service was appreciated (didn't have this in Morgan HIll).

Overall, good. Just a few little issues with breakfast service and TV not working.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank pjc62
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 5 June 2013

The lobby area was very clean and had a fresh smell when we entered, good sign...hope that means the room is equally fresh. The guest room was indeed clean and fresh smelling. Plenty of parking. The complimentary breakfast, was plentiful...waffle maker a major plus...kids will really love it.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family

Fairfield, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2013

There was no notifications given through Hilton Honors that this hotel is being worked on. At this point in the construction there is no paint on the walls and no dining room (You eat in the lobby). The room itself was quiet and well maintained and the staff was very friendly. The area it is located in is shady at best.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family