“Wonderful hotel in a great location!”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We stayed in this hotel for a week during our vacation last month and it was amazing. The rooms are large and beautifully furnished. The room has a mini bar and you can rearrange the stuff inside to store some food or leftovers. We requested a microwave and got it too. The complimentary breakfast was very good and the staff are very friendly. We were asked if we wanted a room with a view or a quiet room. We went for the view but still it was quiet. I would suggest that you get a room in the 6th or 7th floor. The V bar gets noisy during the night and could be disturbing if you are in the lower floors.They also have a nice gym and pool. But above all, is the location of the hotel. The hotel is right in the middle of Santana Row full of high end shops and awesome restaurants. Also the Westfield mall is just a short walk from the hotel. The hotel offers complimentary self parking in a parking lot across the street. Try Kara's cupcakes and the french pastry shop near the hotel! There is a little play area for the little ones behind the hotel (near Maggiano's). I would definitely stay here again if I get the chance!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view on the higher floors!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We delighted that you enjoyed Hotel Valencia and Santana Row and definitely hope that you will have another opportunity to stay with us!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Valencia - Santana Row

Reviewed 23 April 2012

This is a great boutique hotel! The rooms are contemporary and large. The bathroom is a little small, but extremely nice and clean. The bed and furnishings are wonderful! I have stayed in several hotels in the area in the last few years and this is diffinetely the best! Santan Row is very lively and happening! This is not a hotel if you want a quiet and serene stay.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the courtyard are noisy at night.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Thank you so much for your feedback of Hotel Valencia. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Should you need any assistance for a future visit, please let me know.

Reviewed 18 April 2012

My last boutique hotel stay in San Fran wasn't the best experience so I went into this one with a slighted opinion. I was surprised at the friendly service and quality hotel this has turned out to be. I had a room on the 7th floor and also enrolled in the "VIP" service. Its free and I always do with hotels. I believe it got me an upgraded room.

The service staff was friendly, and had me checked in right away. The overall impression of the hotel was clean, a bit upscale and in a great location on Santana Row.

The pool area was a great place to get some work done by the sun. The lounger chairs were clean, well kept and comfortable.

Lots of good places to eat in the area which makes this a great business hotel.

Would stay here again for sure.

Stayed: April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide a review of Hotel Valencia. We are very happy you enjoyed your stay.

Please let me know if I may assist you in any way on future visit.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel easter weekend and had a wonderful experience. The hotel is just beautiful. we had a king room with a balcony, which I highly recommend. The room was spacious and the bed amazing. We had enough room to set up an air bed for our 2 year old. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel offers complimentary breakfast which was great. They had a wide selection of breakfast items, such as eggs, pancakes, oatmeal, cereals etc. The location can't get any better. We were able to walk outside and be in the heart of shopping, dinning and all the amenities. There is a valet parking at the hotel for $24, but we ended up parking at the parking lot across the street which offers complimentary self parking for hotel guests. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback of our hotel from your recent visit. I am delighted that you enjoyed the hotel and Santana Row. We hope you will stay with us again on a future visit. Please feel free to contact me if I may assist in any way.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I booked a two night weekend stay at Hotel Valencia with great anticipation for a fantastic weekend. Sometimes reality is a very disappointing entrée. I’ve been a Los Angeles based visitor to the Bay Area for ten years and have always been very excited to try Hotel Valencia but never had the chance until April 2012. The location was obviously perfect for San Jose – smack in the middle of Santana Row amid a beautiful, walkable mall with plenty of shopping, dining and nightlife. It’s also across the street from the area’s biggest and most luxurious mall – Valley Fair. What could go wrong? Well, the hotel is a poorly executed, cheap “W” Hotel wannabe without service, luxury, or design. Let me start by stating that the service was perfectly adequate. All of the staff I encountered were polite and helpful so my review is not based on a poor customer service experience. That said, the personal attention that I’ve come to expect at higher end hotels was not on display either which is probably reflective of a lower staff to guest ratio. The real problem with Hotel Valencia is the décor. The interior is as dark as a dungeon. Dark can be hip. But in this case its uninviting, uninspiring, and cheap looking. The carpet in the halls is worn and the lighting is all encapsulated behind perforated metal so that the lights cast shadows on the walls of the hallways. I’m a sucker for creative inexpensive design solutions and this is one that went horribly awry. But the lousy design doesn’t stop there. The hotel room itself is average in size and furnished with cheap (again) oversized furniture that has a major lack of functionality and decorative appeal. The first example is the bed which features a wooden frame that’s substantially larger than the mattress and provides a very hard object perfect for stubbing toes and bumping shins. The room also featured a ginormous glass vase filled with sticks…a decoration better suited to a huge lobby table…but stuffed into the corner of my hotel room taking up a ton of room and looking outdated and dusty (gross). Finally the windows featured black shutters which prevented any natural light from entering the room. Overall the room was what I would describe as a very modest upgrade from a run-of-the mill Hampton Inn. In fact, a few days later I visited some family staying at a new Courtyard Marriott in the Sacramento area and I was substantially more impressed with the décor in their lobby and room. Hotel Valencia has a lot of potential and a fantastic location. At under $200 a night it’s probably a reasonable value. But beware that the hotel is woefully outdated and beginning to show its age. It is not on par with a typical offering from W Hotels. If location is critical – give it a go. If style, service, and amenities are what you’re after you can probably find a better hotel in San Jose.

Room Tip: Breakfast was free and did have a substantial variety so I'll give it high marks for that. The...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Dear Los Angeles Traveler, Thank you for taking time to write a review on our hotel on Trip Advisor. We always appreciate constructive feedback.

I am sorry that you were disappointed in your visit. The decor of our hotel does not always appeal to everyone the same. The hotel has been open since 2003 and a renovation is currently in development. Perhaps if you are in the Santana Row area in 2013, you may have a moment to stop in to see if the new design is more appealing to you.

Again, thank you for your time in providing feedback.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

Overall, the hotel was ok - the check in was very slow due to only one person being at the desk and taking an inordinate amount of time with another client. The room was fine but I think was overpriced at $299 for what you get. There wasn't any complimentary bottled water which to me says something about the quality of a hotel. The lighting of the room was also very dark so you never got a sense that the room was really clean, even in the daytime with the balcony door being opened. The location though was very convenient being in the heart of the shopping district so was very fun to go walk around. Good restaurants close by.

Room Tip: We asked for a room with a balcony but really, never used the balcony at all and it was really reall...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank mulan12
Reviewed 21 March 2012

So hotel is comfortable, with spacious and well designed rooms ( however a bit stingy on the amenities),
However location is in middle of shopping & eating area so no amazing locale to visit and can be noisy, Friday & Saturday nights especially. The restaurant facilities are little strange as location is used for breakfast & evening, It is fine for the morning but the atmosphere for the evening is not a great experience, but food is ok though.

Room Tip: Ask for room not on front street ( will be much quieter)
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business