“Misunderstanding or Incompetence”

Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Orlando, Florida
“Misunderstanding or Incompetence”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 September 2013

My credit card was charged on August 18th. I did not make a reservation, or stay at this hotel. I assumed this was an innocent error on behalf of the hotel. I have left several courtesy voicemails to assistant manager Brent Gaines. He returned one message on August 27th stating we would be in touch. I have since been completely ignored.

The charge has not been reversed from my credit card, I have not been told who made this reservation, or why I was charged- and what bothers me the most is how Hotel Valencia has remained silent without even an explanation or an apology.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank vladimir e
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
I understand that the misunderstanding regarding your reservation has been resolved. I apologize that it was not handled promptly.

Cordially, Bonnie Best, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

Hotel Valencia Santana Row is a wonderful place to stay as you are just a walk downstairs to all the shops, bars, and restaurants that you could possibly want to venture to. It's like being in a small community where everything is there within the big city of San Jose. It's centrally located and nearby major highways 880 and 101 that will take you to Santa Cruz or San Francisco very easily. The staff is friendly and helpful. The breakfast is nice in their restaurant Citrus. Everytime I stay, it's like coming back home again.

• Stayed September 2013
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments regarding the hotel and Santana Row. I hope that if on a future visit, I may assist you in any way, you will let me know.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

Hip place located in a very nice shopping center area. Expensive but not disappointing the bar is quite nice and you should ask for the rooms that have a balcony facing the court yard. Happy hours should not be missed good appies and good deals on Booz

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your experience at Hotel Valencia Santana Row. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and that you took advantage of the Vbar happy hour.

San Jose
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

May not be suited to families with limited outdoor space and restaurant options. There are many dining options outside oriented to party crowds and serious diners. I liked inner pool view rooms. Don't expect too much for balconies. Balconies are not spacious to stay long.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank CayugaWine
Thank you for providing feedback on your visit. Santana Row is a very popular destination with its many restaurants, shops and entertainment options.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

My hoping this would be a great stay-cation may have been doomed from the beginning!

I had issues even chatting with an online assistant when trying to book my room. I guess they help people more than one at a time...I finally understood when I was asked what dates I was interested in when I stated all my info in my opening entry starting the conversation. I was then asked to patiently wait!!! Really? I ended that chat fast. I then tried chatting with another rep but kept going back to that same person. I called twice and then a third time I was able to get my stay booked. I received my reservation confirming my info and it was WRONG! I then called the hotel and said they showed the correct info so I was assured it would be when we checked in. I called the day of check in and they said they didn't then did show I requested a mini fridge to hold my 2 yr old daughters cold snacks. They yet again said they would make one available.

Upon check in, I was told there weren't any left, and that they could empty the mini bar. Boy that was a bust too! That doesn't keep anything cold! My dairy items would definitely have spoiled! A front desk person came to retrieve those items and keep in an area near them and we can request them 24 hrs! A good option, or so I thought. It's not as convenient as I hoped.

Checking around the room to make it safe for my daughter, I came across a 20amp circuit breaker that she EASILY could mess with! Working for a major Electrical company I knew that wouldn't be good for our room, or any other rooms it may affect if it was tripped off...but most all my daughters safety considering the DANGER warning on the breaker! So again I felt I wasn't listened to when booking my reservation!!!!

We checked in late Thursday night so we didn't want to pack up everything again and move that night. We waited until Friday and a front desk rep mentioned people were checking out so he'd make a list of rooms we could move to. I didn't want to make a decision without my husband and I seeing the room. That front desk person wasn't available before dinner Friday night so we told the other staff we will head to dinner and see the room after. We came back a couple hours later and saw the room. It was beautiful and would work out for us moving. Since it was late at night we decided to stay in the room we originally checked into and move the next day. In the new room Friday night we were ASSURED that the room would be held still. That same front desk staff member even made calls in front of my husband and I from the new room!

Come Saturday morning, after breakfast...guess what....to our disbelief the new room was NOT available!!!!!! We are still in our current room. The breaker was sated off with blue painters tape, and our view is still good....but I feel as someone who has stayed her before...this time my requests are falling on deaf ears. What is going on Valencia??? Who do I need to be to feel treated right at a place I know could be great??? The hotel is showing a lot of wear (bathroom caulking peeling away from the bottom tiles in the shower, bathroom tile grout dirty, guest room carpet making our feet dirty, hall carpet pulling away from the padding on he 6th floor). I know there are upcoming upgrades to the hotel, but even with those upgrades...would I want to come back to a place where I feel as a hard working consumer....think it would be with it? Honestly...maybe not. Along with that...not recommending it to fellow family, friends and co-workers to stay in Santa Clara Valley for a fun stay-cation of their own??? We have 2 days left in this stay and I honestly hope it gets somewhat better! At least Sean managing the breakfast staff and his whole team was amazing this morning or I would've had been harder on the front desk staff member delivering her bad news about the room being booked over us!!!!

Please step it up Valencia!!!

***revised review...addition of the following notes***

Serious effort was put towards making the rest of our stay AMAZING by The Valencia management team!!!! All I have to say now is WOW regarding the service.

Thinking I would just see a response to my review here, I was pleasantly surprised to be reached by management. Late Saturday morning after I created my original post, I kid you not, it was probably 2 hours...at the most...and management was on top of getting us into a new room and an AWESOME room to boot! It thankfully is the amazing room we were shown Friday night.

Sadly the pool was over crowded and a lot of families saved many chairs for those still in their rooms. The new room also had an issue with part of the bed frame being broken and the leather headboard significantly worn. It's like an older house, it now needs some extra love which I believe going to be done this fall. Hopefully the upcoming reconstruction phase will help. Two Queen beds instead of Double size would be better. The TV's are a little outdated too.

Regarding noise levels, we've traveled with our toddler daughter twice here now. Our deluxe balcony room with inner courtyard view, I think the noise bothered me more than her considering the doors were open when the VBar started their busy hours. If you know you will need ample quiet sleep time, request something on the 6th floor, maybe facing the Starbucks side. We were facing the main strip which has an amazing view. However if u don't plan on being up with the sunrise, ask for a room facing the sides. This way the sun won't be peaking through the shutters. We were also woken early by the noise of blowers cleaning the main strip.

My speaking up is never to expect to get compensated for anything, just to receive what I requested and hope it would be noted for the future and help other guests too. I know it could be a great place, and I try to treat it like home when there...so I always hope I'm greeted/treated like we are home.

Our stay has been filled with craziness....but at least we have some great stories/memories too!

Thank you Marie, Allen, Sean & Jose.

Ps...still never received our mini fridge. :(

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for not only your original comments but the follow up comments. Unfortunately, sometime things don't go as you or we wish but am happy our staff responded!

Yes, we are renovating all of the guest rooms, corridors, elevator landings, lobby and Vbar between November and February. We are very excited to have a beautiful new look.

If you have an opportunity to return, please let me know so I can make sure we have an appropriate room for a small child and the fridge.

My sincere apologies for the challenges your encountered. Thank you for acknowledging staff members that assisted you.

Cordially, Bonnie Best, General Manager.
anchorage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Came for 20th wedding anniversary (son was also playing in hockey tournament). My wife and i stayed away from the team hotel and instead spent 4 nights in a wonderful king balcony room, away from the outdoor court where live music went on and had a great stay. Its a bustling place at night but our room 660 was quiet for a very light sleeper. Hotel provided complimentary sparkling wine and choc dipped strawberries on our first night. Great vbar with a few outside tables for happy hour people watching. Relaxing rooftop seating as well. Just great romantic place, close to maggianos and other great restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet side room away from the outdoor square if thats not your thing.