“I keep coming back”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
“I keep coming back”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

There are many hotels in silicon valley, but the majority I have stayed at are quite forgettable in terms of character or atmosphere. Hotel Valencia stands out from the rest in this regard. It has a "buzz" due to its location in a hip, open air mall (Santana Row) with lots of restaurant choices within easy walking distance. The hotel itself, and the rooms in particular are nicely decorated. In the years I've been coming here, the management has not allowed the hotel to become dingy,or worn out - the rooms are in as good a shape as they were when the hotel was new. The only reason I don't give it five stars is that it can be a little expensive, and they seem to have high staff turnover - occasionally the service has been a little lacking. Having said that - I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Silicon Valley with a little time to spare for relaxing.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank ou for being a loyal guest!

We appreciate your comments regarding the condition of the hotel -- however, we are going to be renovating all of our guest rooms, corridors, lobby and Vbar beginning in November. We are also going to be adding an outdoor "pavilion" off the lobby area.

We hope you will enjoy the "new" Hotel Valencia as well as the current one.

Cordially, Bonnie Best, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Seattle
Reviewed 29 September 2013 via mobile

I knew I would arrive cranky after a long flight, so asked for early check-in the night before. Got into my room at 8:30 and bonus, got breakfast, then a much needed rest. Beds are crazy comfortable. Room large though a bit noisy. Got moved up two floors and to the back the next night. Walking distance to lots of restaurants. Would definitely stay again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, 14 October 2013
Thank you for the feedback on your stay. I am very happy our occupancy allowed us to honor your request for early check in. Hope to you see back often!
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This hotel doesn't even deserve a single star. We came up to our room at around midnight and we had a knock on our door from 2 security guards telling us to keep it down even though we did nothing wrong other than half a couple of laughs on our way to the room.

After the treatment we received, I went down to the concierge to complain about the security that lingered around in outside our room and invaded our privacy to let them know what had transpired and the guy at the front told me he's calling the cops because we're being "difficult guests". The security guards and the concierge laughed at me while I walked away and taunted me by saying " you're gonna get kicked out".

Absolutely unacceptable and inappropriate for the hotel staff to bully their guests. I highly recommend you check out other places before thinking about settling in at the Hotel Valencia unless you are a fan of being bullied.

This hotel is THE WORST. If you like being bullied, stay here. I have never been treated in this manner and hope to never be again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
5 Thank Tarlan S
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
I am very sorry that you had an unpleasant encounter with our security team. We review procedures with them on a regular basis with the aim of handling the various guest encounters appropriate to the situation. It is never our intent to "bully" anyone and am sorry that you felt that occurred.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I've stayed here twice in the last year on business and really like it. It's position is great as it close to shops and restaurants. The breakfast is free and really comprehensive. The pool is small but nice to have at the end of the day for an hour.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind comments. We hope you will visit the area again soon.
Holly Springs, North Carolina
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Interesting boutique hotel in Santana Row in San Jose. I was there for a 3 day meeting and found the hotel to very nice, perhaps a little dated or in need of new carpets in the hallways. The staff were very helpful and attentive. The rooms were quite spacious with an eclectic mix of decorating styles. The rooms were quiet and allowed you to adjust the temperature, with no noisy fans. We had dinner in one of the meeting rooms one night, and the food was very good. The location is great - wonderful views from the upstairs patio area. Many shops, bars & restaurants right out the door.
The fitness center is average - fairly small but the equipment all works well.

One warning - the sushi bar next door (not part of the hotel) has great sushi, however its impossible to have any conversation since the music was playing at over 100 decibels.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank AJFfromNC
Thank you for providing feedback on your stay at Hotel Valencia and Santana Row.
We are beginning a guest room (including corridors and landings) renovation in November. We hope to see you back to experience the "new" Hotel Valencia!
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 11 September 2013

Spent one night at the hotel which is centrally located in the midst of shopping and night lives. At first glance, the room is good size and seems to be clean. Not enough light though. The bed is soft. TV remote control is missing from the room. Housekeeping is quick to replace the control. I was appalled by the condition of the bathtub. There were black flicks all over the tub. I had to put a towel over them. When I turned on the shower, I know why the tub was so dirty. It was clogged and water was not really draining well. Same applies to the wash basin. It was a long day and I was too tired to complain. Thought the hotel should make sure the room is ready before guests are checked in. My criteria in choosing hotels is based on cleanliness, then the location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank kotrav
I am dismayed by the condition of the drains in your guest room. I have emphasized with the housekeeping and engineering staff the importance of ensuring all drains are working properly.

the lighting in the guest room is being improved with the renovation that is being done between November 2013 and February 2014. The beds have been replaced recently but it is difficult to meet everyone's softness/firmness preferences. I am sorry you did not find it to your preference.

Thank you for your feedback, I hope that you will give us another opportunity on a future visit to provide a more satisfactory stay.

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 10 September 2013

My credit card was charged on August 18th. I did not make a reservation, or stay at this hotel. I assumed this was an innocent error on behalf of the hotel. I have left several courtesy voicemails to assistant manager Brent Gaines. He returned one message on August 27th stating we would be in touch. I have since been completely ignored.

The charge has not been reversed from my credit card, I have not been told who made this reservation, or why I was charged- and what bothers me the most is how Hotel Valencia has remained silent without even an explanation or an apology.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank vladimir e
I understand that the misunderstanding regarding your reservation has been resolved. I apologize that it was not handled promptly.