“I really like this hotel”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 1 May 2014

As a regular traveller to the US I get bored staying in the usual "big chain" hotels. This boutique hotel is a very refreshing change. It was undergoing some rennovation when I was there so not at it's best but even so I was happy I booked in there. Also as it is in the middle of the bustling Santana Row it is in a great location to walk to shops/bars/restaurants compared to many other hotels in the Silicon Valley area that are often standing alone

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Andrew M
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Andrew,

Thank you for you positive comments regarding you recent stay. Next visit, no construction! The work is being wrapped up this week finishing the elevator interiors. We hope you like the new and brighter look!

Please let me know if I may be of assistance during a future stay.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

At the first arrival it was very disappointing. You have to pull up and enter a dark and dower area to get into an elevator to take you to the reception area, right from street level.

Then as we exited the elevator into the check-in desk, we were greeted to the sound of jack hammers (so noisy I could not hear the receptionist talking to me inches from my face), dust, safety barriers, men in hard hats, and you know right then you made the wrong choice!

We were there for three nights and it was utter bedlam all throughout our stay.

There are three elevators, but while we were there, only one was working as the other two were sectioned off due to construction activity. The one that was working, farthest right as you face them from the check-in area, had an inspection label that said it was inspected in March 2013...over 1 year ago at the time of our stay.The night prior a woman was trapped in that same elevator and had to be rescued. I asked to speak to a manager and was told there was "no one of duty" and was directed to the maintenance guy, who's first language was not English. I tried to point out to him that the inspection sticker on the elevator was out of date, assuming, that like other states, elevators have to be checked each and every 12 months. I was wasting my breath.

I told the receptionist that I expected the manager to address this and contact me when he came in to tell me how it was being addressed...no one contacted me at all.

Gym had three treadmills, two of which had "out of service" stickers on them. It had two elliptical's one of which had an "out of service" sticker on it...so yet another example of poor maintenance and disregard for the enjoyment and comfort of the customers.

When one pays something in the region of $400/night one is paying form all of the facilities in a hotel, the overall experience, which is always supposed to be an experience of enjoyment.

When that is simply not there, you should absolutely not be expected to pay for that which was expected but is not available or offered at the time of entering the hotel. In short with all the work, noise, dust, broken elevators, broken gym equipment etc. do you really think as a hotel you fulfilled your obligation to us as customers. Answer...no way, we were ripped off, and were not one bit happy. I cannot in good faith recommend this hotel to fellow travelers at all. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank punjabi1

Punjabi1,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Hotel Valencia on your recent stay. I most sincerely apologize that your stay was not as you expected.

We are currently finishing Phase I of renovation of the hotel including all guest rooms, Vbar, function space and lobby area. We have tried to work with the construction group to minimize noise and inconvenience but are not always able to do that. The work is in the final stages to be completed by Wednesday of this week.

All elevator inspections are done by the State of California on their schedule and is not controlled by the hotel. We can neither delay or accelerate the schedule.

We did have electronic panels go out on the fitness center equipment which was on order. In compensation, we offered complimentary access (normally $12.50) to the 34,000 square foot ClubOne which is adjacent to to the hotel.

Again, I sincerely apologize that your stay was less than you expected. I understand completely how you felt. If you should decide to give us another opportunity now that the construction work is completed, I would be happy to handle your arrangements to ensure that you have the experience you had expected on your recent stay.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

On a recommendation, I stayed at the hotel Valencia during a recent business trip. Although a 25 minute journey from my office (outside of rush hour), the journey is well worth it. The location is excellent and the hotel is surrounded by many good restaurants. It can be fairly vibrant and noisy on a party night, but if you can, request a room away from the bar area as these are quieter.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you! for spending a little extra time on the road to your work to be able to enjoy the hotel and Santana Row. We appreciate it!

So glad you enjoy staying with us. Please let me know if I may assist you in any way on a future visit.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

The rooms, amenities and breakfast at this hotel are all wonderful! However, if you time getting there wrong, it can take 20 minutes to go from the freeway to the parking lot - only 1/2 a mile! And there was noise during the night of cars speeding by - and our room was on one of the alleys, not the main streets.

Would love to recommend it, but just can't.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ConnieSeattle

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We appreciate your kind comments on the hotel services and facilities.

As you observed, Santana Row is an urban location with hotel, dining, entertainment and living. I am sorry that your stay was not as relaxing as you might have wished. I do want to mention that in the recent renovation, we have added some additional doors over our plantation shutters in about a third of our balcony rooms. This does create a quieter room and more black out for these particular rooms. If you should decide to give us another try, it might be worthwhile to book a deluxe balcony room with this additional buffer.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

I enjoyed my stay very much!

The location is great with many shopping and dining options just outside the door but also centrally located if you need to move around the San José area.

The service is friendly and although it appears to be a bit of a party hotel, with lots of people moving about the lobby, bar and outdoor pateo, I had no trouble with noise in my room or waiting for elevators. Valet service was also very quick and pleasant.

Lovely rooftop pool for a late afternoon dip.

Rooms are large, nicely decorated in a contemporary mission style with comfortable beds quality linens and all the expected tech amenities such as i-pad/pod cradle/speakers and accessible electric plugs at the desk

Good quality room service food with friendly and prompt service.

Will be back!

Room Tip: Overlooking inside courtyard
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience. It appears that you got to enjoy the full range of hotel spaces and services. I am so glad we met your expectations.

Please do let me know if I may be of assistance on a future visit.

Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

This was my fourth visit to the Valencia. Despite the renovations happening during my stay it was as good as the previous three stays.

The room has the most comfortable bed I have ever slept on. The bathrooms are good but as per someone else's review, the showers are not as good as you might expect.

Breakfast is good, particularly pleasant sitting outside in the sun.

The bar closed earlier than I remember but to be honest that might not be a bad thing!

Location for shopping and eating is the best in San Jose.

Will be back next time I travel to SJ.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay. I am very happy you enjoyed your stay and plan to return. Please let me know if I may ever be of assistance prior to or during your stay.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

My experience at the Hotel Valencia was a great one. The location was perfect for my sales team. Easy to walk to everything and entertain. The staff was helpful. I will return and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your kind comments regarding your recent stay. We hope that you will bring your sales team back again soon!