“Great boutique hotel in santana row”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 28 May 2014

decided to stay here vs the traditional marriot/hiltons for a change during my stay in san jose. Located inside santana row self parking is free (just get a paper from hotel to display in the car) overnight. Valet is also available as well.

Lobby is located on the 3rd floor which was pretty cool and a nice court yard with ample seating area to just chill and relax.

Roof top bar had a great scenery and very nice place to just get a few drinks.

Pool is also located on the roof but don't expect to do laps :)

Ended up staying in room 725 which was on the top floor corner with a glass nook/sun area which provided additional floor space. Room and decor is very modern, although would of preferred a single large queen vs a double bed.

overall would stay here again as there are plenty of restaurants, bars and shopping all outside the hotel

Room Tip: Top floor !
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joe K
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for giving us a chance vs. the larger chain hotels. Delighted that you enjoyed your staff and hope you will continue staying with us. Please make sure you join our VVIP program (free) that offers nice welcome amenities and other benefits.

There are newer reviews for Hotel Valencia - Santana Row

Reviewed 27 May 2014

Hi,

The front office staff was nice, other than that, not so much. Upon checkin, I went to my room and was surprised to find a king bed when I'm positive I requested two doubles when I made my reservation over the phone. I went back to the nice people and informed them of the error. They called the manager who told me I had a king and no doubles were available- tough luck. No offer to lessen my pain. (I always think it's good to acknowledge mistakes/ customer dissatisfaction .) His attitude irked me. So I had to share a bed when I wanted to sleep solo. The real bummer came about 2:30 am when I awoke sweating. The room was not the 68 degrees I set the thermostat on. That was a big drag. One star for the front office staff and one star for location. The breakfast was mediocre. Next time I will take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Suz B,

I apologize that we did not have your preferred room type available as it was a fully booked weekend. From reviewing with the staff, a king bedded room was requested on the original booking and unfortunately, we did not have availability on the day of arrival to change the room type.

Again, our sincere apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Combined, I believe I've spent around a month in that hotel, over 5 or 6 different visits to San Jose. It is a great hotel and the staff is always super attentive. The rooms are quite modern and well equipped, though noise level from neighboring rooms can be a bit disturbing.

The best thing i loved about staying in this hotel is the access. Santana Row is packed with dining and shopping options. And you are a few minutes walk from Westfield's mall on Steven's Creek and you are surrounded with great places to eat. Weekends also host a farmer's market, which is a great place to grab organic produce.

There are great facilities in the hotel. Loved the pool deck on roof top. The daily breakfast is also fresh and, considering the size of the hotel, is rather generous.

The only thing I would recommend while staying there is to try to avoid the rooms overlooking the Piazza de Valencia road (opp to The Counter burger place), it gets really noisy at night. Other than that, the hotel is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms overlooking the Piazza de Valencia road (opp to The Counter burger place), it gets n...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your experiences at Hotel Valencia. We are delighted that you enjoy the hotel and the location within Santana Row.

Sincerely, Bonnie Best, General Manager

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I've been cruising up to San Jose for weekend getaways for years and am so glad I've gone back to rediscover this gem of a hotel. They've done a remodel that's left the place just gorgeous--it has a real Moroccan type vibe that actually fits better than the previous look in a lot of ways. And then there are those beds! And the turn down service. And the amazing bathtub. Then I woke up to this perfect little espresso machine right there in my room (Illy espresso in bed is not a bad way to start a Saturday morning). They still have their delicious free breakfast that goes way above and beyond a continental type, with eggs and fresh juices etc. Love that. What also makes this place so great is its location on Santana Row--it's like Disneyland for adults, with great shopping and food all right there, not to mention a Burke Williams spa right next door (yes, I took advantage). I also thought it was so great that when I first pulled up to the valet, the attendant went out of his way to explain where and how I could self park free of charge. He very easily could've had me pay to valet but instead made sure I knew how easy it was to park on my own. Classy place.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LouiseG227

Thank you for such wonderful comments regarding your many stays with us. We are so glad that you enjoy the new fresh lighter look of the hotel.

Please let me know if I may ever assist you during a future visit.

Sincerely, Bonnie Best, General Manager

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Whenever traveling back to Silicon Valley, we prefer to stay at the Valencia. My wife especially loves the nearby mall, Santa Row shops, and restaurants all within walking distance. If you're lucky enough to get a balcony view room, then you've got a birds-eye view of Santa Row complete with people watching & an occasional exotic car drive by.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Hotel Valencia Santana Row. We hope to see you back often.

Reviewed 12 May 2014

They were renovating the lobby area during our stay however we didn't find this to be of any inconvenience to us during our stay. The standard rooms are quite spacious and well appointed and the bed was extremely comfortable. The rooms though are quite dark inside (apparently they used to be much darker but have changed the colour scheme slightly - my husband has stayed here on numerous occasions). There are plenty of lights to turn on but each is individually controlled so it's a minute of procession around the room to turn on the lights and then another when you leave the room - perhaps a 'master control switch' by the door would be a great option.
The breakfast offered is pretty basic and is the same day in day out, but was included in the room price. Staying here 5 days, I only went to breakfast twice during my stay as there is far better selection and quality restaurants in Santana Row so generally I had a late brunch somewhere on the Row to see me through to dinner.
The bar gets very busy on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights and is quite noisy. We had a room at the back of the hotel so didn't hear any noise but I would suspect a room overlooking the courtyard would hear the music and people in the courtyard at night.
The gym is small and barely can be classed as a gym - so be warned if this is your 'thing'!

Overall i enjoyed our stay at the Valencia and would stay there again as Santana Row itself is a lively, fun area with easy access to major shopping mall and designer stores as well as some top class restaurants and bars. It's what a typical 'boutique' hotel tends to be....

Room Tip: The main street and courtyard area of the hotel can be noisy at weekends so a room at the rear of th...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LoriC2065

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Hotel Valencia.

We are always open to suggestions on ways to change up the continental breakfast we provide to all guests.

We will be adding an option later this year for an a la carte fresh cooked breakfast for purchase in our new patio area.

Again, thank you for your feedback.

Cordially,

Bonnie Best, General Manager

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

A little quirky but I like this hotel. I have stayed three times before.
Very good area for shopping and food.
Great service. Free internet very slow - cannot Skype.
The only negative is the "free" breakfast. It has not changed in 4 years, and the scrambled eggs are still horrible. I suggest management try them!
The rest of the food is OK. The bar is a party scene!

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Valencia.

We appreciate all constructive feedback and would welcome your suggestions for different continental breakfast items. Currently we have hot/cold cereals, fruit, pastries, bagels, toast, variety of juice and a variety of hot beverages.

Later in the year, we will be adding a separate space where you may purchase an a la carte freshly cooked breakfast of a variety of items.

Again, thank you for your feedback,