“Between Average and Very Good”

Hotel Valencia - Santana Row
Ranked #5 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Sao Paulo, SP
“Between Average and Very Good”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

A pity Trip Advisor does not have a "good" rating.
The hotel is very nice, spacious and excellent rooms. Besides the lousy coffee, the complimentary breakfast is great, as is the outdoor swimming pool and hot tub.
It lacks attention of the staff. Tables in the breakfast room are often left for cleaning after guests left. We had to ask several times to clean a table so we could sit and have breakfast. Room was not cleaned several times, and also the promised welcome package for the wedding we attended was forgotten.
If you decide to stay here, you should be aware that this is a party hotel. Many weddings, graduations, etc are going one, with all the noise related.
The area is very nice, upscale neighborhood with ample shopping and restaurants around

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts of our hotel. We appreciate all constructive feedback that we can use to improve our guest experience.

Sincerely, Bonnie Best, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
Reviewed 29 May 2014

We love to stay at the Hotel Valencia when we visit our daughter at Santa Clara University. The location is near great restaurants and fantastic shopping. It is a first class hotel. My only complaint is the hotel layout. It is cumbersome to go from street level shopping to the main lobby. We enjoy the complimentary breakfast which has a variety of items. Join the VIP club to learn about specials.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
We are very happy that you enjoy your stays with us during your visits to your daughter. We look forward to having you with us over the next few years.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

decided to stay here vs the traditional marriot/hiltons for a change during my stay in san jose. Located inside santana row self parking is free (just get a paper from hotel to display in the car) overnight. Valet is also available as well.

Lobby is located on the 3rd floor which was pretty cool and a nice court yard with ample seating area to just chill and relax.

Roof top bar had a great scenery and very nice place to just get a few drinks.

Pool is also located on the roof but don't expect to do laps :)

Ended up staying in room 725 which was on the top floor corner with a glass nook/sun area which provided additional floor space. Room and decor is very modern, although would of preferred a single large queen vs a double bed.

overall would stay here again as there are plenty of restaurants, bars and shopping all outside the hotel

Room Tip: Top floor !
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Joe K
Thank you for giving us a chance vs. the larger chain hotels. Delighted that you enjoyed your staff and hope you will continue staying with us. Please make sure you join our VVIP program (free) that offers nice welcome amenities and other benefits.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Hi,

The front office staff was nice, other than that, not so much. Upon checkin, I went to my room and was surprised to find a king bed when I'm positive I requested two doubles when I made my reservation over the phone. I went back to the nice people and informed them of the error. They called the manager who told me I had a king and no doubles were available- tough luck. No offer to lessen my pain. (I always think it's good to acknowledge mistakes/ customer dissatisfaction .) His attitude irked me. So I had to share a bed when I wanted to sleep solo. The real bummer came about 2:30 am when I awoke sweating. The room was not the 68 degrees I set the thermostat on. That was a big drag. One star for the front office staff and one star for location. The breakfast was mediocre. Next time I will take my business elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Suz B,

I apologize that we did not have your preferred room type available as it was a fully booked weekend. From reviewing with the staff, a king bedded room was requested on the original booking and unfortunately, we did not have availability on the day of arrival to change the room type.

Again, our sincere apologies that we did not meet all of your expectations.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Combined, I believe I've spent around a month in that hotel, over 5 or 6 different visits to San Jose. It is a great hotel and the staff is always super attentive. The rooms are quite modern and well equipped, though noise level from neighboring rooms can be a bit disturbing.

The best thing i loved about staying in this hotel is the access. Santana Row is packed with dining and shopping options. And you are a few minutes walk from Westfield's mall on Steven's Creek and you are surrounded with great places to eat. Weekends also host a farmer's market, which is a great place to grab organic produce.

There are great facilities in the hotel. Loved the pool deck on roof top. The daily breakfast is also fresh and, considering the size of the hotel, is rather generous.

The only thing I would recommend while staying there is to try to avoid the rooms overlooking the Piazza de Valencia road (opp to The Counter burger place), it gets really noisy at night. Other than that, the hotel is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms overlooking the Piazza de Valencia road (opp to The Counter burger place), it gets n...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for sharing your experiences at Hotel Valencia. We are delighted that you enjoy the hotel and the location within Santana Row.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

I've been cruising up to San Jose for weekend getaways for years and am so glad I've gone back to rediscover this gem of a hotel. They've done a remodel that's left the place just gorgeous--it has a real Moroccan type vibe that actually fits better than the previous look in a lot of ways. And then there are those beds! And the turn down service. And the amazing bathtub. Then I woke up to this perfect little espresso machine right there in my room (Illy espresso in bed is not a bad way to start a Saturday morning). They still have their delicious free breakfast that goes way above and beyond a continental type, with eggs and fresh juices etc. Love that. What also makes this place so great is its location on Santana Row--it's like Disneyland for adults, with great shopping and food all right there, not to mention a Burke Williams spa right next door (yes, I took advantage). I also thought it was so great that when I first pulled up to the valet, the attendant went out of his way to explain where and how I could self park free of charge. He very easily could've had me pay to valet but instead made sure I knew how easy it was to park on my own. Classy place.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank LouiseG227
Thank you for such wonderful comments regarding your many stays with us. We are so glad that you enjoy the new fresh lighter look of the hotel.

Please let me know if I may ever assist you during a future visit.

Reviewed 16 May 2014 via mobile

Whenever traveling back to Silicon Valley, we prefer to stay at the Valencia. My wife especially loves the nearby mall, Santa Row shops, and restaurants all within walking distance. If you're lucky enough to get a balcony view room, then you've got a birds-eye view of Santa Row complete with people watching & an occasional exotic car drive by.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
HVSR, General Manager at Hotel Valencia - Santana Row, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thank you for taking time to share your experience at Hotel Valencia Santana Row. We hope to see you back often.