“A great find in the heart of San Jose”

Four Points by Sheraton San Jose Downtown
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 30 October 2009

After reading many reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor I finally decided to stay in this hotel for a national conference that I just attended in San Jose, CA. I was so certain that this would be a great hotel and the Hotel.com rates were so incredible that I recommended that many of my colleagues stay at this hotel too. I was a little concerned when I read a few negative reviews prior to my stay but thought I'd wait till I had actually been at the hotel before I made any other decisions.
I was very impressed. Check-in was smooth and the personnel at the front desk were efficient and professional.The rooms were beautifully appointed and while a little smaller than 'regular' generic hotels, they were comfortable and one does realise that you are staying in a historic building. All rooms are very modern with lovely furniture and comfortable beds and linens. The website does advertise that the hotel has Aveda toiletries which my colleague immediate pointed out was not the case.(we are in a recession though, so that can be expected anywhere)
I got a newspaper outside my door every morning and the hotel was very quiet and peaceful. I did arrange a reception at the Mosaic restuarant and bar and found the catering /event department to be very helpful and the Restaurant manager ( I dont recall his name) was SUPER and extremely helpful in assisting our large group during the event.Check out was also super easy an uncomplicated and there were no unexpected suprises on the bill as others have mentioned. Its central and close to public transport.
The only down side would be the fact that there is a very shameful breakfast provided in the lobby of the hotel which was very cheaply put together and really the low point of my entire stay at this hotel. If the restaurant was open in the morning for breakfast with a variety of choices, I think this hotel can make 4 or 5 Stars. Well Done Hotel Montgomery!!!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 2 October 2009

I stay at the Sainte Claire down the street quite often. I'll be switching between the Sainte Claire and the Montgomery the next few times I'm in San Jose. I typically stay for 4 nights. The Montgomery is directly across from the light rail station, which is my main transportation when I'm in San Jose. The rooms are large, but sterile, as opposed to the much smaller but much cozier Sainte Claire. The hotel is clean and has a smooth modern design. Staff are either too jocular and friendly or too distant... they don't seem to have the knack of service, except in the attached bar and restaurant, both of which are quite nice (again, not spectacular, just very good). Dead center in the middle of night-life central in San Jose, so it's hard to beat the location, though noise on Thursday night in the hotel is a real problem. Rooms have been recently upgraded in many cases, so they are fully functional and nicely finished, but again--a bit sterile. My room had a huge unused open space on one side; my associates had similar rooms. Just poorly laid-out and furnished. I moved the furniture to suite my needs, which was interesting.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2009

The good: This was my second stay at the Montgomery, so obviously I like it. It is an historic building imaginatively renovated for today's travelers. This trip, my brother and I booked two rooms for a one-night Sunday stay, and received an amazingly low rate for the night - less than the budget motels. Check-in was quick and easy. We pre-paid and there were no surprise add-on charges. Our rooms were quite spacious, very comfortable and well-appointed, with up-to-date electronics such as big TV and an I-pod dock.. The furnishings and finishings were stylishly "boutique-y". I had understood that the Internet connection in the room woud be by cable, but my netbook's wireless modem worked just fine in the room. It was nice to have complimentary coffee and coffeemaker in the room too for early risers like myself.
The location has easy access to public transit and to numerous shops, restaurants and meeting venues. There is a hip-looking restaurant/bar off the lobby, which I did not try. A nice breakfast spread is provided in the lobby in the morning, at extra cost, I believe, which I also did not take advantage of, as I had other plans. My brother, however, did grab a cup of coffee and declared it excellent.
The Not so Good: The front desk staff are rather perfunctory in manner. Not particularly welcoming or eager to be of service. Capable and efficient, but robotlike. Also, there is a sort of patio courtyard cafe area you must walk through to get to the lobby, and if it's busy, you have to crash whatever event is going on there to get inside. A wedding was in progress while we were there. Not exactly a problem, but awkward. Also, this is my second stay at the Montgomery and I have learned that if your room is on the courtyard side of the building, you will be exposed to the nightlfe sounds of music coming from there, so unless you travel with earplugs, ask for a room facing the street.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed 26 August 2009

did not like how they handled my bill -- very questionable

Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank arnoldkelton2
Reviewed 3 August 2009

I booked three nights at Hotel Montgomery while attending a conference at the convention center. The location was excellent, just down the block from the conference. There are a lot of small restaurants and bars in the area, so plenty of places to eat.

The room I had was huge, though it smelled like someone had smoked in it recently. The bath was nice, the bed was comfy, and the desk staff was very helpful. The quality of the room was comparable to other JDV hotels I have stayed at in the past with very nice furnishings and an eclectic mix of interesting things in the honor bar.

It is also nice to get internet access without paying a huge fee for it, though it was wired rather than wireless in the rooms.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 July 2009

THis hotel is exceptional!! Great rooms, great service, good rates! We would recommend this hotel for anyone and for any reason to stay in San Jose. The "king" room we had was beautiful and extremely comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2009

The Hotel Montgomery is having an identity problem. The management seems to be trying to make the hotel a party destination on Friday and Saturday nights by opening up a nightclub on the main floor. The rest of the week, its a quiet, well decorated, peaceful hotel. No previous reviews mentioned the club scene on the weekend and since we arrived on a Friday afternoon we had no idea what happens at night. The hotel charges $20/night to park in a lot next to the hotel. This lot is also used by the club on weekend nights. Saturday morning we found our rental car with a kicked in rear fender, shoe imprint still visable. Thats when we noticed all the posted disclaimers around both the parking lot and outside the hotel. This place must of went to law school because they state that you are on your own if anything happens and the hotel is not resposible for anything. We ask to see a manager Saturday aand no one was available. We checked out Monday and still no manager available to talk to. So if you stay here, come by taxi or some other transportation, just don't park your car here!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple