“As Good as Always”

Transit: Bus
Santa Clara, California
“As Good as Always”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

So i haven't been to the restaurant in a couple of years. They catered our wedding at Clos La Chance vineyard in 2009. But I had the chance to go with an out of town co-worker who is a foodie and had wanted to try it.

So as always, the service is terrific. Michael remembered by husband and myself and welcomed us in and escorted us to our table. The atmosphere hasn't changed! One of my favorite things they have are the gougéres, which are no longer on the menu. But we asked our waitress if they had any in the kitchen and they did and the brought out a plate for the table to enjoy.

For my appetizer, I had the Pan Seared Maine Day Boat Scallops with Hazelnut Polenta and Preserved Lemon while my husband had the Slow Poached Lobster with Lemongrass, Sweet Basil and Tamarind Gel. While i LOVED my scallops, i have to say that my husband won this round. the lobster was poached perfectly and the sweet basil and tamarind gel was incredible.

For the second course, my husband had the Pear Salad with Toasted Pecans, Feta Cheese, Baby Lettuce and Chambord Vinaigrette, which we had at our wedding. I ventured to try the Salsify Soup with Duck Royale and Truffle. Clearly I won this round. This soup was the most amazing thing I ate that night and couple have eaten a larger bowl as a main course. I mean Duck and Truffle... how can you go wrong??

For the main course, I had the Sturgeon "Wellington"with Chanterelles, Red Wine Miso and Potato Mille-Feuille while the husband had Roasted Berkshire Pork Tenderloin with Smoked Maple and Hibiscus-Onion Marmalade. This was close, but I did want fish because i figured i needed to have something lighter and it was..... but the pork had so much flavor, I have to give him that round!

For dessert, we split Soufflé Grand Marnier with Fresh Berries. As this is their house special dessert and definitely is a superb souffle. It's not too heavy, so it makes a great dessert after a rich mean.

I'm so glad we went again. I love that place and recommend it to any foodie that wants to enjoy an exquisite dining experience in the silicon valley

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank A W

Chicago, Illinois
“Delightful”
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This place is great for any occasion. It is easy to have a conversation, and the service is fantastic. The building looks like it used to be someone's house, which makes it cozy, though parking can be difficult. They offer a tasting menu or a prix fixe for 3 or 4 dishes. I had the slow poached lobster which was amazing, the salsify soup, and the duck breast. Everyone at the table got a variety of different things, and everything was amazing, there wasn't a single bad dish or even mediocre for that matter. The chef sent over a couple of tasting dishes for the table and some brittle for dessert (yum!) A couple folks got the souffle for dessert, some got the carrot cake and the white chocolate passion fruit mousse. I'd highly recommend this place!

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank aWANana2
Taipei, Taiwan
“Consistently the best!”
Reviewed 19 May 2013

When I'm in town, this is my go-to restaurant for special occasions. The staff is helpful, friendly, and not intrusive. If you're into wine, they have a wide selection and can help you find something that goes perfectly with your meal. The food - the food is always amazing! They serve little amuse bouche before and in between courses. Nice touch! Order the souffle when you order your meal - it's worth the wait!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank M H
San Jose, California
“Christmas Eve Stuff”
Reviewed 9 May 2013

We try to eat here most Christmas Eves as a family treat. Excellent food and ambiance. One of our favorite, don't care what it costs, places. And it costs! Take your pink slip and checkbook. At least try it once. Would be great for a very special occasion.

• Visited December 2012
San Francisco, California
“perhaps the best restaurant in the south bay”
Reviewed 17 April 2013

a rare quiet restaurant where one can carry on a conversation and can be heard! attractive decor and ambiance and very good service......we ate here for the 20th or so time in as many years and the kitchen continues to maintain a high standard.......attractively presented and inventive preparations.it is expensive......$70 prix fixe for 3 courses/$80 for 4 courses.......a very good and pricey wine list.
a special event destination.

• Visited April 2013