“Enjoyable Dinner with Belly Dancing and Fun Atmosphere”

Moroccan Restaurant Menara
Reserve with OpenTable
Moroccan Restaurant Menara is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #172 of 2,163 Restaurants in San Jose
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Good for: Romantic, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: North 1st Street
Transit: Light Rail (VTA) at Gish Road Station.
Fremont, California
1,580 restaurant reviews
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,685 helpful votes
“Enjoyable Dinner with Belly Dancing and Fun Atmosphere”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We went to Moroccan Restaurant Menara for a fun Friday night.

They serve family style. We ordered Le Dinner Rabati
It consisted of Moroccan Salad, B’stilla, Tajine Rabbit with Paprika, Tajine de Poule aux Citrons, Brochette de Kefta, Vegetable Couscous, Baklava with Mint Tea.

Yes, one eats with one's hands but they do a nice hand washing prior to and after the main meal. I found that it was actually a lot less messy than the huge towel they give you for your napkin. Food was spiced right; there was a lot of great food.

There were two belly dancers - each one danced solo. If one wanted to, one can also dance with the belly dancers. It was a whole lot of fun.

Service was friendly.

Although it took us a moment to find it, there is a parking lot close to the restaurant where we parked.

Its a fun night - we arrived at 8:00 and left at 10:15 so go there when you have time to enjoy.

We made our dinner reservations on open table.

• Visited August 2014

Campbell, California
“Fnatastic Food, but...”
Reviewed 15 April 2014

I absolutely love the food here and the entertainment is great. The Moroccan salad and b'stilla are two of my favorites. And you absolutely MUST try their drink specialty... the Moroccan Magic. But be careful, they're so tasty you can't even tell there's alcohol in them. They're dangerously good.

I wish I could rate the place as Excellent, but it's in a somewhat sketchy neighborhood. If it weren't for that, it would be rated as high as possible.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank RobertPrieto
Austin, Texas
“Pretty Good Food, Fun Experience”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

I recently ate here with a work group, and overall we had a good time. If you're planning on dining here, plan to spend several hours, it's a 6 course meal and it is served at a pace intended to encourage discussion, relaxation and drink consumption (in a good way).

The food overall was pretty good, the belly dancer was also talented and entertaining. They have several different dinner selections you can choose from, and everyone at your table is supposed to have the same selection. This can be problematic in a small group, but in a larger group you can align appropriately so everyone eats what they want.

I thought the food was overall very decent, nothing I ate was horrible but nothing was spectacular either. I did enjoy the shrimp dish I had, otherwise there was quite a bit of chicken, lamb and eggplant. If you like those dishes, you'll probably enjoy it here, if not then not so much.

The belly dancer was skilled and entertaining, she brought everyone up to dance during the course of several dances (but not in an obnoxious or annoying way), so our group had quite a few laughs (and pictures for future blackmailing).

The cocktails were very nice, I enjoyed their version of a mojito and I was told that their sangria was also quite nice. I would rate this restaurant higher, but I have had several more inspired meals in the San Fran/San Jose area that I rate much higher.

If you choose to dine here, you will get good food and you will have fun. But there are definitely other restaurants with more innovative and more interesting food options. I recommend Menara for the overall experience, assuming you are looking for an experience. Otherwise I think there are other less "showy" options that will provide more interesting dining.

• Visited April 2014
Galway, Ireland
“Very average.”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Read about this online and it seemed good but visit was disappointing.
Food was average at best and while the eating with your hands thing might feel all rustic and charming to some it's generally a pain in the behind (especially with the salads).
Seating area was too dark and had a slightly rundown feel to it.
The bellydancers added a bit of an authentic feel to it but I was surprised to see people putting dollar bills in the dancers waistband. Not what you would expect from a family restaurant.
The Asian guests seem to love the dancers and the inevitable bellydancing conga was a weird kind of fusion thing.
Staff were very friendly and efficient.
Price slightly higher than average.
Don't drink the house white. It's below par and expensive.

Visited January 2014
Santa Cruz, California
“A Fun Evening but Average Food”
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Menara is a unique experience in Moroccan dining. The decor is a little worn but interesting and the dining options were highly anticipated as we had never had Moroccan food. Unfortunately, the food was average. The chicken and meats were tough, dry and overcooked and the vegetables were unremarkable. The service was friendly and attentive but the entertainment was the real draw. If you have never been to a belly dancing show it is worth the trip and the average food.