“Average experience”
Review of Grill on the Alley

Grill on the Alley
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill on the Alley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 2,166 Restaurants in San Jose
Transit: Light Rail, Bus
Houston, Texas
“Average experience”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Last year I ate at this restaurant. Food was fabulous and I especially enjoyed their split pea soup! Speed up a year later and my experience was a disappointment.
From the water spot stained wine glasses to the awful tasting split pea soup, This split soup was different it tasted just as if they had opened a Campbell's soup and added a few pieces o ham. The steak was underdone and had to be returned to the chef so it could become a real medium well steak. I think that perhaps it as a bad day but I don't know if next year when I find myself in San Jose I will be giving this restaurant another try.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Sherina A

San Jose, California, USA
“Good food, but poor service”
Reviewed 6 May 2014 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

Joined a couple of friends who were celebrating their anniversary. The food that we had was really good. Taste was great and my steak was cooked perfectly to my request. If I was to rate it on the kitchen staff they would get 5 stars.

Unfortunately the service staff (mainly the bar staff) let the experience down. When we arrived and were waiting for a table we were practically ignored for 15 minutes despite sitting right up at the bar. During the meal we tried to order some cocktails that took 40 minutes to arrive, despite asking our server where they were multiple times.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank wbisson
California
“Good food and service but rather far from the "stars"”
Reviewed 28 April 2014

To start of this review and to make sure there are no missunderstandings, this is a good restaurant and they are true experts in making that steak right and they even did a very good Dry Martini (with my instructions of course). You will also enjoy that this place has a great service, wine and a very nice ambience but for me to call out the word excellent in a review requires that all of the pieces of the puzzle are there and in the right order. One part of this is to feel that you actually get the full value of what you actually pay and if this balance is out of order in some way it will also impact the rating.

There are five main reasons why this restaurant does not earn (or deserve) the rating excellent and these are the reasons:

1. In a top restaurant you do not bring the check until the customer asks for it - period
2. The staff should not over-sell the menu of the day (clearly they did this time)
3. The wine prices should not be "unappetizingly" high
4. The sofas where too soft for my taste, I actually prefer a regular chair instead
5. The restroom would deserve some extra care

I might give this place a second chance, let us see how they do next time.

Thanks to the staff who did a good job.

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank Lamboswede
Victoria, Canada
“Have been here many times but this was a bust”
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Having traveled SA n Jose for several years this was the first time this place was suboptimal my sea bass at over 40 dollars was far from that price point it was too over cocked , extremely dry and bland. My side was also overcooked.

Honestly I believe in paying for value but this was terrible. The waiter also a very nervous erratic behavior and was quite irritating.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank nocomment26
Noida, India
“Quiet, good ambience, great food”
Reviewed 7 April 2014

We went there in a big group for lunch. The ambience was good, service is prompt. Tried the grilled herb chicken which was done very well. A place worth the visit.

Visited April 2014