“Great Tuna”
Review of Grill on the Alley

Grill on the Alley
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill on the Alley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #13 of 2,198 Restaurants in San Jose
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: b/w San Fernando & San Carlos
Transit: Light Rail, Bus
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Ate at the bar part of the restaurant and had the Tuna. It was a very tender fresh nice size piece of Tuna I added the Brussels Sprouts that were delicious. Great food, service s so much. Waiter was too busy.

There are newer reviews for Grill on the Alley

Reviewed 2 June 2014

First of all this restaurant gets 5 stars for the food. The Lobster Bisque was incredible. My husband had the steak which was cooked perfectly, while my scallops and our friends' tuna were fresh, succulent and well prepared. The dessert (which we shared)was an enormous chocolate brownie and icecream which was actually more like a molten lava cake. Fabulous. So, why the 3 stars. The service was so poor for a supposed top notch restaurant. Our first waiter left early - we can only presume his shift was over but we were never informed. Our second server spoke only a little English and could offer no suggestions at all. Sorry, but there are plenty of excellent restaurants in San Jose and what should set one apart from another is the quality of service. The management at The Grill needs to work harder at training it's wait staff. In a restaurant of this supposed calibre, the service should be exemplary and the waiters knowledgeable. We would probably try one of the other high end steakhouses in town before returning here.

1  Thank Angela C
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Last year I ate at this restaurant. Food was fabulous and I especially enjoyed their split pea soup! Speed up a year later and my experience was a disappointment.
From the water spot stained wine glasses to the awful tasting split pea soup, This split soup was different it tasted just as if they had opened a Campbell's soup and added a few pieces o ham. The steak was underdone and had to be returned to the chef so it could become a real medium well steak. I think that perhaps it as a bad day but I don't know if next year when I find myself in San Jose I will be giving this restaurant another try.

1  Thank Sherina A
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Joined a couple of friends who were celebrating their anniversary. The food that we had was really good. Taste was great and my steak was cooked perfectly to my request. If I was to rate it on the kitchen staff they would get 5 stars.

Unfortunately the service staff (mainly the bar staff) let the experience down. When we arrived and were waiting for a table we were practically ignored for 15 minutes despite sitting right up at the bar. During the meal we tried to order some cocktails that took 40 minutes to arrive, despite asking our server where they were multiple times.

1  Thank wbisson
Reviewed 28 April 2014

To start of this review and to make sure there are no missunderstandings, this is a good restaurant and they are true experts in making that steak right and they even did a very good Dry Martini (with my instructions of course). You will also enjoy that this place has a great service, wine and a very nice ambience but for me to call out the word excellent in a review requires that all of the pieces of the puzzle are there and in the right order. One part of this is to feel that you actually get the full value of what you actually pay and if this balance is out of order in some way it will also impact the rating.

There are five main reasons why this restaurant does not earn (or deserve) the rating excellent and these are the reasons:

1. In a top restaurant you do not bring the check until the customer asks for it - period
2. The staff should not over-sell the menu of the day (clearly they did this time)
3. The wine prices should not be "unappetizingly" high
4. The sofas where too soft for my taste, I actually prefer a regular chair instead
5. The restroom would deserve some extra care

I might give this place a second chance, let us see how they do next time.

Thanks to the staff who did a good job.

1  Thank Lamboswede