“A bright spot for something good”
Review of Back A Yard

Back A Yard
Ranked #65 of 2,198 Restaurants in San Jose
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed 25 November 2013

We came here on a double date with some friends, and the food was quite good. I had the jerk chicken as I had heard about it but never tried it. It was really good; very tasty and not overcooked. This is a great place to come to get something a bit different from the standard fare around town.

There are newer reviews for Back A Yard

Reviewed 20 November 2013

Considering it's located in the deadest & decaying downtown area in the Western Hemisphere as San Jose is a social graveyard...Back A Yard is welcome respite!! I've been there twice now & it hasn't disappointed yet. I recently went with a friend who is from Kingston & she couldn't stop nodding her head to the music, getting nostalgic when viewing the murals on the wall reminding her of home, & adored the color scheme & overall aesthetics of the restaurant. The food is absolutely delicious with all of the sauces & dressings being so distinctively flavorful. My personal favorite is the Beef Oxtails which are tender & make you want to get every last piece off the bone. Given how cheap restaurants are now these days cutting back on anything they can, the portion size is generous (I'm 6'4' with a big appetite too) so you won't leave hungry & you surely get your money's worth!! The 2 young men who serve you & take orders are very cordial & prompt so the service is excellent too. I definitely recommend it & will be back again most definitely...

Reviewed 18 November 2013 via mobile

The jerk chicken here is INCREDIBLE!!!

This was easily among the best meals I've EVER eaten. Ever. Really. Ever. In my life. Ever. And without question the cheapest of my "best meals I've ever eaten".

The jerk spice is spectacular. My nose is running and I'm actually tearing up as I write this.

If I lived in San Jose, I'd eat here twice a week.

Sides are awesome, too. I LOVE the greens and Mac & cheese.

I don't have enough superlatives to describe this place's food.

Go try it for yourself, then thank me.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

Back a Yard looks looked like it might be in a rough area but is actually a block away from a great little neighborhood called San Pedro Square filled with interesting restaurants. The restaurant looks like nothing on the outside, but is cute on the inside with nice murals on the walls and a nice homey feel.

We got the jerk chicken plate, the jerk pork plate, two extra (but tiny) jerk sauces (46c total) the corn festival, a fresh ginger beer and a fresh mango passion fruit juice. We ending up bringing about a whole meal's worth home and spent under $30. We considered it an excellent value for the large quantity of food.

The bad news:
1) we waited almost 30 minutes to receive our meal after ordering, yet people after us seemed to get theirs within 10 minutes. No idea what held them up but other reviews mention the long wait to get the food.

2) the pork had quite a bit of fat on the edge (but the meat itself was lean)

3) the salad that comes with the meal is just some lettuce, but actually tasted pretty good with the jerk sauce, or was it dressing? It's a mystery.

The good news:
1) delicious, cooked just right, two legs and two thighs of jerk chicken with a tasty skin rubbed with jerk spices. The jerk spice that comes with it is pretty hot, great for me but be careful if you are don't like too much heat.

2) delicious jerk pork but you need to pick at it if you don't want to eat the fat.

3) rice and beans (two good sized scoops included in the meal) was quite tasty and a nice mild contrast to the jerk heat.

4) plantains (also with the meal) were perfectly cooked with a delicious caramelization.

5) corn festivals were sort of like fried donuts, could have been a bit hotter, but very yummy.

6) I never order juice but went crazy and got the home made ginger beer. It was delicious, mega gingery and a burn in the throat, but also quite sweet. The mango passion juice was also great, very mangoey but maybe a bit too sweet. The juices were specials, I think they may change them each day.

If we had this place in our neigborhood we'd be going at least a couple of times a month. I definitely recommend giving it a try. It was on Check Please Bay Area, I think about a year ago, and they all liked it.

Reviewed 14 October 2013

I ordered the combination meal and everything was sort of bland and needed some sort of extra flavor to the meat. Probably will never go back.