“a delightful find”

J. Lohr Vineyards & Wines
Ranked #17 of 140 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: Our urban winery, located in the heart of San Jose, is owned and operated by the Lohr family. Our sustainably-farmed, estate-grown wines capture the vibrant flavors of California’s Central Coast. We invite you to experience our friendly hospitality and meet our knowledgeable staff. We offer complimentary tastings daily for both the novice wine fan as well as the avid enthusiast. (Closed New Years Day, Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas Day)
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I was in Santa Clara for some business meetings. I knew I wouldn't have time to make it up to wine country, but was delighted to find this tasting room not far away in San Jose. Two colleagues and I arrived a little after 4:00 on a Wednesday evening. There were others there, but still room at the tasting bar. One of my colleagues is very new to wine, one is more of an occasional wine drinker, and I am more experienced (although certainly not an expert). So we presented an interesting challenge to Mike, our server. He handled it all with aplomb - answering questions, customizing the next sample to what he was learning about each of our tastes. I found a cabernet that I just love (Hilltop Cabernet Sauvignon). And Mike even gave us a great recommendation for dinner. Definitely worth a stop if you're in the area.

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Second visit to the J. Lohr winery in Paso Robles. The staff is always friendly and knowledgeable and the tasting is free in a beautiful area, what more could you ask for? Definitely stop in this winery if you're in the area. We even joined their wine club during out last visit.

Reviewed 18 October 2013

I love how easily I can go to a winery 10 minutes from home. It is almost in downtown San Jose off the Alameda. They have a very friendly wine room staff. Great wine to taste and a wonderful wine club. Don't miss it.

Reviewed 26 September 2013

We were meeting people and had a little time and needed something close to the Airport which we just flew into. Found J. Lorh Winery on line listed close. It is around businesses and does not look like your typical wine tasting. No grapes or long winding drive more industrial which it is. They produce the wine here only. However the people we met and the wines we tasted were very good. We were not expecting a lot but learned J. Lorh has many more wines available which are not for sale outside CA and some only from the winery. The tasting was free for the first 5. My wife drank 5 whites which I tried and I drank the reds which she tired. We bought a few estate wines and very glad we stopped. You could hear the bottles rattling in the back and working people would come in which just added to the fun.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

We were invited by friends to keep Saturday afternoon open for wine tasting at Lohr's before dinner. It was a real treat. There were four places at the end of the bar and a charming guy
to pour and discuss wines. A real pleasure and informative to boot.