“Great and interesting collection”

Ira F. Brilliant Center for Beethoven Studies
Reviewed 2 July 2014

There is a great collection of Beethoven sketches and manuscripts. The best thing though are the historical keyboards, which the public is allowed to play. The staff was extremely knowledgeable and can teach you no matter your musical background.

1  Thank Asterixes

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Who would have known this was here? The Beethoven Center is located on the fifth floor of the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. library in downtown San Jose. The library is a collaboration of San Jose State University and the San Jose Library. The center was established in 1983 when Ira F. Brilliant donated his collection of Beethoven memorabilia to San Jose State University. There are 4 historical keyboard instruments (a replica can be played by visitors) and free mini concert and presentation are given on some Wednesday afternoons from 2 until 2:30. There are art works related to Beethoven, a lock of Beethoven's hair, a life mask, a death mask, and group visits (we were all adults) with a tour guide would be optimal. It is not a stuffy museum, but approachable for classical music novices and is free.

2  Thank SacTomato
Reviewed 16 January 2013

Excellent! Despite the size (it's only 1 large room), this is a must see for people interested in classical music. I brought a group here and setting up a "tour" was extremely easy by sending an email to them. I don't know if they normally play for visitors but they played for our group and showed us how the different "pianos" (including harpsichord, there were about 5 instruments) worked. We were also allowed to play on the instruments ourselves too.

2  Thank miamia246
Reviewed 3 January 2011

I could have spent hours here if I did not arrive late. There are so many wonderful exhibits here! In fact, the curator said they cycle their displays so there should be even more to be seen!

Highly recommended if you are a music (especially beethoven) enthusiast!

2  Thank malaysianinnewyork
See more reviews
Reviewed 22 September 2007

I had gone to visit a friend who lived in San Jose, and she had planned all the great attractions, which were wonderful, but this one, we inadvertently stumbled across! That visit MADE MY TRIP if I had not seen anything else! I am a classical pianist, was taking music courses (Piano, Performance) through the University of Alaska, and had never heard of this place before, but it has my full attention now! :) Sue took a picture, one of my treasures, of me playing Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata on the clavichord.

I highly recommend this Center to anyone interested in Beethoven and/or classical music! The staff was above average in friendliness and oh, so helpful with everything!

Sincerely, L. Winters