“Great place to stay--and hear planes all night”

La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport
Ranked #4 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I, having wanted to visit San Jose for quite some time, chose this location because we had three free nights available to us through the LQ Returns program, and we paid for a fourth night. Oddly, the LQ computer system does not allow one to combine paid and free stays, so we had to make two separate reservations, but this is not the hotel’s fault. They did, however, quickly let us check out and then back in without actually having to pack up, so the computer thought we had left and come back in.

Anyway, as for the hotel itself, it is one of my favorite locations, and I’ve seen quite a few LQ’s over the last few years. Wonderful location close to downtown and just a couple blocks from the Component light rail station. Easy access off US-101. Almost walking distance to the train, if you don’t mind being along a busy street. If you choose to drive, it’s a two-minute drive to the station. The one negative is the constant airplane noise, as the hotel is right off the end of 12R/30L, which appears to be the main runway used by the airliners. Again, though, this is not the hotel’s fault.

The facility is well above average in terms of quality of maintenance and overall decor. It appears to have been renovated quite recently in a technology motif--not surprising at all given the area it is in. I expect it hosts a lot of guest workers working at nearby Silicon Valley firms. I like that it had a bar on site. They say they offer room service, but when we asked about it, the bartender balked. We didn’t use the pool, but we did check out the area--very nice. We were surprised at the lack of hot though--we like to use those. Perhaps future expansion plans will add one? The adjacent gym is adequate for basic workouts. I like to go for walks in the morning--not much around the area except for light industrial, but at least there is a treadmill on site.

Breakfast? Basic LQ fare, nothing fancy, but at least they have a full layout rather than just bagels and cereal. We like our protein in the morning.

The complex itself is huge, consisting of two (possibly three?) buildings, the longest of which is, well, really long. We had a room at the end of a little cul-de-sac right above one of the staircases. There was no problem with noise from within the building. The building is immaculate and looks like it just opened yesterday! The parking lot is very large and we never had a problem finding a spot somewhat close to, if not right under, our second-floor room.

The room itself is thoughtfully laid out, with a sink separate from the bathroom, a microwave, a refrigerator, and safe. No bathtub, though. We love to soak, so the lack of either a hot tub or bathtub was a bit of a sacrifice, but for four days we managed. I am told other rooms have one, but by the time we discovered ours was missing we had already settled in so we decided the wonderful showerhead--several steps above standard hotel showerheads and even better than ours at home--would make up for it. Plus, in the summertime it’s a bit less important to have a tub.

There are several menus for dining options in the room, but we didn’t try any of the nearby restaurants. I do, however, recommend Flames on First Street downtown. They don’t have a menu for Flames in the room, but trust me--worth a visit. Also, There is a Safeway with every food option imaginable--and wonderful takeout--just a couple miles north.

Overall, this was a great stay for us. We explored the Winchester Mystery House and the Egyptian Museum, both only 15 minutes away, and the city of Santa Cruz, less than an hour away. Please note, however, that CA-87 and I-880 cross, but don’t connect. (Can’t tell you how I figured this out! :-) ) The only negative is the airplane noise, but earplugs take care of that problem. Besides, the hotel doesn’t control air traffic. :-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jumbach
LQSanJose, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Hello Jumbach,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your wonderful review, and for choosing to stay with us on your recent trip to San Jose. I am pleased to hear you not only enjoyed our hotel but were able to venture out and explore the Winchester Mystery House and my favorite, The Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum. I pray that you found time to visit the wonderful garden they have on the grounds.

I truly enjoyed reading through your comments and the excellent description you provided of our hotel and surrounding area. It gives me great pleasure to know that we surpassed your expectations, and that you had a comfortable stay with us. I will be certain to pass on your comments to our whole team and management to let them know you found our modern renovation to your liking. Perhaps we will look into adding a hot tub and have that available for your next stay. Thank you again for your review and please do not hesitate to contact me if I may be of any assistance to you in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We've been here a few times and this place can't be beat for bang for your buck. Excellent rooms: clean, spacious for a non-suite, and modern. Service is exemplary. They have a full service bar, a simple but good room service menu, free breakfast, and shuttle service (loved the driver) to the airport. I've stayed in other La Quintas and this one blows them out of the water.

Stayed: July 2014

Aloha Mauigirl8888,

Thank you for staying with us again and for taking the time to let us know how your stay went. Our goal is exceed the expectation of all of our guests and it is wonderful to have repeat guests such as you. I am pleased to hear that you not only utilized our shuttle but also enjoyed our shuttle driver. Your feedback regarding our other amenities is greatly appreciated and we look forward to your next stay. Please let me know if I may be of any assistance to you in the future. Be well!

Reviewed 8 July 2014

The location of this hotel is very convenient to the airport and downtown San Jose. We have stayed at this hotel twice and we always enjoy our stay at this hotel. The staff is very friendly, the rooms are very clean and the beds are very comfortable. The rooms are worth the price. They also serve a hot breakfast daily.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
1  Thank Bretmcbunch

Hello Bretmcbunch,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel, your business is most important to us. I am elated to hear that you enjoyed your return stay and that you found both our staff and amenities to your liking. We hope to have you stay with us again in the near future and please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance to you.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

La Quinta San Jose was a great place to stay. Great location, super comfortable beds, and yummy hot breakfast options. The only note is that the lounge was a small and crowded during the breakfast hours, so we had to eat in our rooms. They also have a nice snack market in the lobby, and there is a Burger King across the parking lot -- very convenient.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
LQSanJose, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Hello Jlef226,

Thank you for reviewing your hotel stay with us. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your stay in regards to our complimentary breakfast. We make an effort to extend the hours of breakfast so that all guests have an opportunity to eat, but unfortunately there are periods of time when there is high traffic and not enough space for everyone. While we do not have a resolution for this issue, I assure you we are consciously working to find one.

I am happy to hear that you otherwise found our hotel to your liking and were able to enjoy the remainder of your stay. We hope to see you again in the near future. Be well!

La Quinta Inn & Suites, San Jose Airport

Reviewed 2 July 2014

My friends and I needed a hotel close to the San Jose Airport as we had a flight leaving at 6:05am. La Quinta Inn & Suites was perfect. We got there late at night and checked in with no problem. We then returned our rental cars and the hotel shuttle picked us up in timely fashion and brought us back to the hotel. This saved us a lot of time in the morning as we could then have the shuttle just drop us off at the terminal and not have to deal with rental cars and luggage at 4:30am. The front desk even offered to have breakfast bags made up for us for the morning since we would be leaving so early and would miss their free breakfast. Only ONE CAUTION. We had three people in one room thinking there would be a hid a bed. There was a chair that folded out and it was way too uncomfortable to sleep on so we had to switch to a double queen room. We booked through an outside vendor so we don't blame the hotel for that - we were grateful they had a different room.

Room Tip: Unless you have two queens don't try to squeeze three people into a room.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank runsuerun60

Hello Runsuerun60,

Thank you for your recent review on your hotel stay at the La Quinta Inn & Suites, San Jose Airport. I am so happy to hear that you found our facility to your liking as well as our amenities. I am also relieved that we were able to provide you with accommodations that comfortably suited your needs.

We look forward to your next stay and please feel free to contact me directly if I may be of any assistance to you in future. Be well!

La Quinta Inn & Suites, San Jose Airport

Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

I was a little skeptical at first because the price was cheap that it would be getting a substandard hotel. I was very wrong. The front desk staff was very helpful and my room was brand new and clean. The water pressure in the shower was the best I've had in a long time. Even the breakfast in the morning was far superior to other free breakfasts that I've had. I would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Ekaseta

Hello Ekaseta,

Good afternoon and thank you for sharing your hotel stay with us. I am extremely happy to hear that while you found our hotel affordable, you also found the amenities, room cleanliness, complimentary full breakfast and staff customer service to your liking. We would love to have you visit us again and if I may be of any assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you again!

La Quinta Inn and Suites, San Jose Airport

Reviewed 24 June 2014

I highly recommend this Inn for the staff, cleanliness, and price. From the time we checked in until the time we checked out we were very pleased. It was my husband and I's anniversary and I don't think we could of found a better place to stay for the price or treatment we received. We will definitely stay here again when we are in the area.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim1210_25
LQSanJose, Front Office Manager at La Quinta Inn & Suites San Jose Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Hello Kim1210_25,

Thank you for sharing you recent experience at our hotel, the La Quinta Inn and Suites, San Jose. I am pleased to hear you found our staff and facilities to your approval. If I may be of any assistance to you in the future with booking another reservation with us, please do not hesistate to contact me.

Happy Belated Anniversary to you and your husband!

La Quinta Inn & Suites, San Jose