“Perfect for low budget”

Fontaine Inn Downtown-Fairgrounds
Ranked #53 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 29 April 2012

First off, you get what you pay for! I had a very nice stay here and the front office was extremely polite and helpful! The room was nothing special but it worked for my needs. I was in town for the Springsteen concert at HP Pavilion and it was only a 7 minute drive from the Inn. Upstairs room was quite, in fact I could not hear Hwy 101. The bed was comfortable (king delux), the shower worked perfect, the TV was a bit small but I only watched it in the morning while packing up. I did not use WiFi so I can not write about it. People who complain must except a four or five star hotel. My response is do your research ahead of time.
Again, great place for the price and I would stay here again!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 9 April 2012

My husband and I will be traveling to San Jose several times a year now, him to spend an afternoon, evening and the next morning until noon with his mother, me to have a lot of uninterrupted time to work on line. This is what happened April 4 and 5, 2012.
I am writing this from the hotel room we are in at the Fontaine Inn, where, based on their webpage, we made reservations 2 weeks in advance. I would love to post it from here, and will try, but the wifi, even after having the tech man on the phone help me reconfigure my computer, is unusable.
When we arrived yesterday at 2pm, the manager was very nice. We couldn’t get into room 108 because the key cards didn’t work. After he reset them, he accompanied me to the room to make sure they worked. I entered the room, and immediately called him back to see the yellow painted graffiti on the work table.. I called him back again to point out the line etched into the mirror, all the way across it. He took a minute to look around the room, and pointed out where someone had put their fist through the bathroom door. I pointed out the destroyed lampshade over the microwave, but he said that was normal wear. The room was a dump, no other room was offered. Things just got worse. My requested non smoking room was obviously a smoking room. I couldn’t open the window because there wasn’t a screen. There were, however, torn curtains! Every piece of furniture in the room, including the tub, had multiple cigarette burns. The phone book was graffitied. There was half a roll of toilet paper, no more. No hangers, suitcase rack, the television remote had been chewed on, and the microwave didn’t work. I called the front desk about a clock, which is listed in the amenities, and was told that if there wasn’t one, someone had taken it as a souvenir.
I wasn’t able to work because there was no usable internet. Middle of the night, (turns out it was 1:25, I had to ask when I called the desk because we didn’t have a clock), the smoke alarm started to beep. Called the desk, we got dressed, and the night man tried to make it stop. When he took out the battery, it went from a beep to a screech. Finally, at 2am, he offered to move us to another room, but also asked that I write a list of what was wrong with the room and discuss it then. Finally, at 2:30am, we moved to room 104. What a difference! This room was what we expected initially. Even had an extra roll of toilet paper! Two tables, the heating, cooling unit was framed in, there was a rack for the menus, the tub was caulked, it’s like a complete different hotel! And…..it’s the non-smoking room I had reserved. OK, so the curtains were full of holes, making it look like we had a mirrored ball hanging from the ceiling, but it was much better.
At 6:45 this morning, after very little sleep, we discovered that again, one of the key cards didn’t work. While in the office getting this corrected, I thanked the night man for changing our room, and asked the day man what on earth he was doing yesterday, putting us in an absolute dump when there was a good room available, and I had told him that if things were OK, we’d be a two or three time a year visitor. I also asked him to start thinking about what he was planning on charging me when I physically came to the office to check out, as he requested.
When I came in to check out, (who has to physically go to the front to check out?), I had to wait while he checked people in. He bragged about their high speed internet to all of them! When I asked him what the charge was going to be for the room, he said that he’d have to talk to his boss, and would get back to me. No one got back to me, and my credit card was charged $94.22 for the night from hell.
DON’T EVEN CONSIDER STAYING HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2011

as i walked into the room, the strong odor of smoking is everywhere....even on the bed sheets too. doesn't matter how much i tried to deodorized the room with....the odor is everywhere. this hotel needs a deep cleaning and remodeling. the tub is filthy nasty dirty broken...couldn't walk bare foot at anytime...

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 November 2010

We found this hotel off the 101 in San Jose looking for a affordable place to spend the night. The hotel isn't that big two levels with doors outside. We could hear the traffic at times since our room faced the highway. The room was clean and smelled OK. Carpet was fresh and the bathroom was clean. Sheets looked clean. Although I did pull the bedspread back as soon as I walked into the room. Older television set of course at a place like this your not going to find a flat screen.

There was a mini fridge and microwave. The towels could have been a little bigger and softer. Light in the small bathroom could have been a little brighter. They did offer a small continental breakfast till 9am. Seemed to be fresh paint on the walls. Bed was comfortable, pillows were soft. Maybe a little too soft for me. I need to bend one in half so I would be a little more comfortable. The room was a little warm, I tried to figure out the A/C but with no luck. Actually I was little afraid to turn it on fearing dust might fly out. They did offer free internet which was nice.

I was expecting much worse. I was pleasantly surprised. It was a great place to just spend the night if your passing through town. I wouldn't spend a whole weekend here. There was a Denny's just next door and it was right off the highway access. We didn't seem to hear our neighbors. Of Course we were so tried since we checked in at 2am. I felt safe leaving the car in the parking lot. We did park right in front of our room. I would stay here again if I need to pass through town again.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2008

6th OCTOBER 2008 My wife and I were on our way back to SFO for our homward trip to the UK, we booked into this clearly aged motel, and were allocated according to our request "ground floor twin queen" room 110.
Whilst the room was a little tired all was ok until about 11:30pm when the noise started doors slamming, both car and hotel, laughter, "not ours" and this continued until about 2-2;30am.
No coffee, very hard pillows, very noisy toilet flush, I mean noisy.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank seniortravleer
Reviewed 2 March 2008

well your picture on the website was very misleading. The room smelled like mildew and body odor I had to go and purchase towels and washcloth for my wife and I due to the poor and disgusting ones that were being supplied.Also the plumbing was in poor condition.

I would have brought this to the front desk' attention but when I
checked in I had just driven 7 hours to get there thru the night
and needed to rest and also my wife had mentioned if I made the girl at the front desk mad she came across as the type that would not be kind. Well we were right about this as it would seem someone who had my bank card info has charged fraudulently and I am not to happy
with my days inn experience. And when I did go over the bill with the manager she was right there with him and insisted I stayed there for 6 days once again trying to cheat me so I believe it to be a problem and I would hope to hear back from someone concerning these matters before I go public

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 19 June 2006

First the good..the TV and the air conditioner work. We especially liked the TV. When it is turned on, the volume is automatically adjusted to a low setting. Oh, and they have wireless internet access in the rooms.

And now the rest...the hotel itself (not furnishings) looks a little worn. It could use some updating & cleaning. It gives an overall appearance of cleanliness, but if you look too close...

Also, we stayed in room 201. Beware! This room is on the freeway side. You hear freeway noise all ------- night ------- long. The only time you noticeably do NOT hear the freeway is when the air conditioner is on! So we heard intermitten freeway, air conditioner, freeway, air conditioner, freeway...you get the idea. The bed was OK. The pillows about an inch thick and all foam. Only two. No extras in the room. We didn't ask for more either. The funiture is in OK condition

The "continental" breakfast provided is less than average. Understanding that a continental breakfast is nothing more than cereal, milk, juice, fruit & pastries, that's exactly what you get. However, when we arrived at 11:30 PM on Friday, the cereal was still (already?) out in the lobby. They were in one of those plastic see-through containers where the cereal pours out of the bottom, but it still gives the impression of not being fresh! The bananas looked like they were ready to make Banana Bread with. Also, it is highly advised that you get there early enough, otherwise, what little there is will be gone. And it doesn't appear to ever be replenished. There is a Denny's within easy walking distance. And a Chuck E. Cheese across the street if you are so inclined.

If you should feel the need to ask the front desk any questions about the area , don't bother. The desk clerk we spoke hadn't a clue. For the price though, this Days Inn is about what one would expect.

• Stayed: June 2006