“A pleasant surprise”

Ranked #52 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Forth Worth
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

First of all, For more than 30 years I have lived and worked as a high school teacher in San Jose, CA. I know the city and its neighborhood quite well. So, I would be the first one to tell you that I would not look forward to staying in a hotel situated on the East Side of San Jose, where the Hotel Fontaine is located.
My wife and I are Priceline gurus, and for our stay in San Jose we alway bid on a 3/4 star hotel for about $80. But, not the week of June 23, 2014. Nearly every hotel was booked and those available and ones that we liked were over $200-$300 per night! We couldn't believe how rates had skyrocketed.
Out of desperation, for $119, we booked the Fontaine Inn through Booking.Com (Priceline's sister company I'm told--and better as you're not charged for the room until arrival).
Totally aware of the hotel's not-so-desireable location, I approached my stay with apprehension. Prior to checking in, I asked to see the room. We walked through what was seemed a short maze to the room. It was dated, worn but clean. Not too happy with a queen-sized bed, we asked the receptionist for a king size bed. We followed her to the front and she opened Room 104. What a pleasant surprise! Freshly painted, quite clean, and sanitary. For $119 we took it! We spent four nights there and all were pleasant. Apparently, the ownership is trying very hard to update all rooms.
The hotel is in a working neighborhood and right off the freeway. The clientele is diversified, many truck drivers and workers who look for a quite night. There is some serious sleeping going on here and any noise will incur the wrath of those who labor. It's not a party hotel. There is a Denny's and Chuck E Cheese at a walking distance. Inexpensive Vietnamese and Mexican eateries abound in this area. As in any big city, it's wise not to wander at night. Yes, I would stay there again with no apprehension.

Room Tip: Get the ones newly renovated.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NelsonSarah

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

This was a blind booking without any research. We needed somewhere to stay between Napa Valley and the coast. We also wanted to be able to say "we knew the way to San Jose"!

We wish we hadn't.

The room was clean and comfortable. The site is right next to a busy freeway and therefore most of the rooms were let to truckers. We felt uncomfortable but that was only down to our personal opinion. We had no trouble and there was no noise after 10pm.

We needed a place to sleep that wasn't expensive. That's what we got.

If you're a tourist I'd say keep looking.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014

I reserved 2 rooms because this hotel advertised itself as pet-friendly on TripAdvisor. During check-in, after driving a moving van 800 miles I was told by the Fontaine receptionist they do not allow pets. I pointed out the TripAdvisor listing, and was told that new management hadn't gotten around to changing it yet. I offered to pay an extra fee, and offered to keep our pet inside its carrier in the room, but they would not admit their error, and they would not let us in. They wouldn't even let my daughter use their restroom - I had to walk with her through their poorly lit parking lot, across the street, past a liquor store with a broken sign, to a Denny's, so she could use a restroom there. The Fontaine hotel staff and manager did not try to help find another place for us, and they expressed no sympathy at all. By contrast, after we made a reservation at another hotel we found on our own, only to be told on arrival they thought we were arriving at 3pm not at 3am, the night manager at this other hotel apologized for the error, expressed sympathy for our very long day, and called around and found us a room for the night at another hotel (which is pet-friendly). He didn't need to help us, but it was much appreciated. His kindness also highlights how horrible the treatment was at the Fontaine.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Mit P, General Manager at Fontaine Inn Downtown-Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,
I am extremely sorry to hear that your experience at our hotel was not pleasant. I see that the hotel amenities, listed on TripAdvisor, displayed that we are a pet friendly hotel. Unfortunately, this is not the case, and was an oversight on our part. I have made the change to our hotel profile on Trip Advisor, so that the information is correct, and future guest will not be misled. I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

As the general manager of the hotel, I would like to personally apologize for this situation, and for any inconvenience that this has caused you. I would also like to apologize on behalf of the Front Desk agent who was assisting you. It was unjustifiable that the Front Desk Agent did not allow your daughter to use our restroom. In addition, we should have provided assistance to you with finding alternate accommodations’. This is clearly a training issue, and I will speak with the agent, and provide more training, so that that my staff is better prepared to assist our guests in the future.

I take great pride in our hospitality at this hotel, and would like to thank you again for bringing this to my attention. Please feel free to call me if you need to discuss this with me further. Hoping that my sincere apologies will be kindly accepted.

Yours sincerely,
Mit P.

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

San Jose, California
Reviewed 21 March 2014

During my stay at Fontaine Inn, i found the location very easily accessible and close to major roads and higgways. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I would definitely recommend Fontaine Inn to family and friends.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank je2525
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 17 March 2014

It was a good stay except for a couple of things. (1) little kid throw rocks at cars. (2) loud talking on cell phone around 3am outside the hallway. Other than all that Management was very nice. Comfortable bed and good HOT shower.

Room Tip: a lot of traffic to this place. This is near Asian Shoppes
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank 306ramsfan1968
Reviewed 8 March 2014

very good clean rooms always can get a room we use this hotel we enjoy our stays alot of parking good service very good prices good breakfast need better coffee but over all you only need a place to sleep never had any problems here they do have a security gaurd

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank richandnena
San Jose, California
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I used to come here often but since ownership changed, I will not be back.

I showed up before check in time and the staff member reluctantly put me in the room early. I could tell they did not want to even though the room was available, but at least this staff member was pleasant.

The room:

The complementary shampoo and lotion were USED! There was not more than a dollop of lotion in the bottle but it was meticulously put back on display by the maid staff.

The plastic cups (all but one) were unwrapped from the protective plastic and restacked, which leads me to believe they were used, rinsed and I was expected to re-use them. Even if they were not used, they were covered in dust, and most likely fecal matter from every time the toilet was flushed. Also no lining in the dust covered ice bucket.

So, all I could think was, are my towels clean or were they just refolded from the last use, what about my linens? Are they clean or am I reusing those too.

Shower curtain covered in goey mold, It got on me, gross.

Finally, check out. I get a call minutes after 11am to rush me out of the room by a rude female staff member. When I get down stairs, I sit and listen to her argue with another guest over the phone about him coming down to pay for an additional day. Then she repremands me for being late on my check out. Her parting words "IF you stay with us again checkout is at 11". Emphasis on the word if, AS IF I WANT to stay at a low end hotel with staff that makes there guest feel like a burden, where they count money in minutes, and expect you to REUSE product because they are too cheap. No thanks, this will not be my go-to hotel anymore, there are several others in the area, I'll try them first.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo