“Schizoid” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
Flemington, NJ
“Schizoid”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

De Anza seems to be trying for higher end business hotel (like Marriott / Hyatt level) and pulls it off in certain areas like the bathrooms and common areas. But room furnishings, beds and linens come up short. Spend the money on the basics too, not just the showy stuff. There is nothing wrong with the hotel, just that when I pay for the better end of the spectrum, I expect it in all of the elements (particuarly the bed), not just some of them.

Room Tip: Call the Fairmont
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mbl5283

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

The Hotel de Anza hos nicely appointed public spaces, and a try good restaurant for pasta, but the room are badly in need of a make-over. The furniture is old and dated looking. Beds are a little uncomfortable by standards of other properties. The bathrooms have no counter space and an old-fashioned shower with a rubber mat you can place in to prevent falls. There was barely enough room to put the bathmat between the toilet and the wall. Electric plugs are few and hard to find. Worst of all, there is now wi-fi, only an ethernet connection, which does not work well if you (like me) have started traveling on short trips with only your iPad. The staff is wonderful, and the La Pastaia restaurant serves good (if not inspired) pasta. Very convenient to the airport.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

We were looking for somewhere to stay that was close to the HP Pavilion and this place was a great decision. It's just a few blocks away... we walked there. The hotel is very clean and very comfortable. We were very happy with our room and the staff couldn't have been any nicer to us.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank maryannmat
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2012

Just a short walk to HP Pavillion, the Hotel De Anza is a very convenient downtown location and has great Art Deco style. The rooms are smallish but very clean and comfortable. The hotel has a very nice buffet breakfast with a good variety of food at an acceptable price. The parking valet service is friendly and prompt. This stay was our second one at the hotel. The front desk staff is generally helpful, although we must have had a new person on this visit as he seemed to struggle with the procedures a bit but without any negative consequences. We are disappointed that the bar is loud and crowded in the evenings (after the Sharks game) and we could not enjoy it. However, I expect we will stay here again and again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms about the bar. We found the rooms on the street were quieter than a room above the bar...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
San DIego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

The De Anza is my "home away from home" when I'm in San Jose. It's a charming boutique hotel, thus not the best option for those who prefer big chain properties. The rooms have more character than you find at a typical Holiday Inn, etc. without going so far as to emulate a bed and breakfast. The staff is fabulous; one of the gals manning the front desk remembered me even though it had been more than a year since my last visit. The hotel has a great restaurant off its lobby, La Pastaia, and it's mere steps away from San Pedro Square, with its many eatery choices. Speaking of food, one of the De Anza's differentiators is "Raid the Pantry." From 10 p.m. to 5 a.m., guests have access to a room that features midnight snack items like cookies, sandwich makings, cereal, juice, coffee and tea, and more. The hotel is conveniently located in downtown...just a few blocks to HP Pavilion at San Jose, home of the NHL's San Jose Sharks. For my most recent trip, I took advantage of the Sharks' Hockey Package, which included my room, two game tickets, two breakfasts, valet parking, in-room refreshment (a couple of Rolling Rocks), and two Sharks' amenities. Unfortunately, the home team didn't perform well for me...but I'll be back!

Room Tip: Avoid 2nd floor rooms if possible, since that floor is trafficked more in the wee hours, as that'...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank SanDIegoCaliGal
Palo Alto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I live in the Bay Area and I spent one night at the Hotel de Anza during the San Jose Film Festival. The historic hotel has been renovated in an Art Deco style and is beautifully maintained. The rooms seem small, although the bathroom in our corner room was huge. My only disappointment is that the interior of the hotel has little of the remaining architectural details of the older hotel. In spite of this the designers respected the building's past in their decoration of the public areas and rooms, by giving a modern take on what was its vintage design. One cool aspect of the hotel is that you can actually open the windows in your room! The front desk person could not have been friendlier and more professional.

Room Tip: Corner rooms seem to be larger.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Seriously, this was a total waste. I had a small amount of business in San Jose for one day and needed a place to stay downtown. I decided to take my wife and baby with me for a little family get away, so I booked a room for two nights hoping to enjoy the extra time with the family. Upon arrival, I was surprised to see that the hotel was going to charge me $20.00 for overnight parking. The valet staff looked at me crazy because I was surprised they would charge a guest for parking...isn't that what a tip is for? Oh well no biggy right. Then the rooms were so small!!! Nothing special at all! My wife ordered room service, which was extremely over priced for the small amount of food and they forgot half of her order. They try to pump up there so called "Raid the Pantry". Complementary food offered to guests between 10:00 pm and 5:00 am. My wife and I were stunned to see the poor selection and quality of food. Really, 7-11 has better quality sandwiches. Then the kicker....Due to the poor service and unpleasant stay, I attempted to check out around 9:30/10:00 am the next morning. They charged me $70.00 for a half day and refused to refund me for the full amount for the 2nd night. Then the front desk staff made an error with one of my credit cards. Very unprofessional staff and very unwilling to assist their guests. Not happy at all and I hope you will take my experience into consideration. I should have wet with my gut and stayed at the Embassy Suites.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family