Hotel De Anza
Ranked #12 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I stayed at the Hotel De Anza for while visiting San Jose for a convention.The first day I turned on my lap top and after failing to connect to the internet several times (including re-booting my computer and even unplugging it), I called the front desk. They tried to help me, but to no avail. They then had me speak to their techs. Afterwards, I could connect to the internet for a few minutes, but then I would lose service again. I would then call the front desk, they'd call the techs, the techs would call me, it would work for 5-10 minutes. This went on ALL FOUR DAYS of my visit.
The front desk staff was obviously embarrassed and I didn't harass them as it wasn't their fault, and they did let me know this is an ongoing problem at Hotel De Anza, and they have been trying to fix it for some time.
I spoke to the hotel manager, Allison, today, and after she explained to me that the hotel contracts out it's internet service, and therefore the hotel has no way of fixing this problem, she offered me $25 a night refund by way of compensation.
I told her that San Jose is a business town and I was there on business. I would never have chosen a hotel which did not offer internet service; particularly not for $25 less a night, but she said that was her final offer, take it or leave it.
I guess the hotel is fine if you want to be unconnected. Otherwise, don't let the "free internet" offer entice you.....it's free, but it just may not work!

Room Tip: Don't choose 615 - no internet service! I don't know about the others.
7  Thank gowesttraveler

Reviewed 13 June 2014

I stayed here for several days at the beginning of June for a company activity. This hotel is some 70 years old, if I remember correctly, and quite a sturdy classic. I was given a nice quiet room on the 9th floor. I enjoyed my stay. The restaurant is very good and the staff attention is outstanding. There were some details... the Wifi was horrible. Good thing I have a tethering option on my cellphone. The a/c in the room is right next to the head of the bed, so I had to turn it off if I didn't want to freeze my brain. I wish I had known all the rooms were NOT like that, so I could have asked to be moved. The room was clean and well maintained, the bathroom was impeccable. All in all, a good value. Downtown San Jose may be very underwhelming, but the hotel was a nice play to stay.

Room Tip: High floor.
1  Thank juanj325
Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I stayed here about a year ago and due to the service the experience was fairly average. Because of the positive portions of our last visit and the proximity we decided to give them another try. As with our last stay, we enjoyed the hotel and our room. We like the renovated style of the De Anza and our room was comfortable and immaculately clean. I do agree with the other posters regarding Internet connectivity issues and hopefully the management will address the situation.
The service issues we were concerned about on our last visit were handled exceptionally well this time around. The service could not have been better. We were really happy with this stay and we're looking forward to coming back.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2014

I like this hotel. For one thing, the bar is beautiful and it has a pretty good bartender, which is hard to find at hotel bars in San Jose. I like the old feeling of the hotel and find it to be run down in an appealing way. The location is excellent and the service is fantastic. Now for the downsides: The hallways have an odd odor and the WiFi is useless. I was completely unable to connect to my corporate VPN during the trip, which meant I could not do much work in the hotel. I'm not the only person to have had this problem -- several of my co-workers have stayed here at different times and had the same problem. I've never had this problem at any other San Jose hotel. For that reason, and that reason alone, I do not book myself into this hotel anymore. If I were to vacation in San Jose (though I have no idea why I would do such a thing) I would definitely consider staying here again, though.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Sneeuwfuif
Reviewed 5 June 2014

The reviews that are already on here are pretty close to reality. I was under the impression that being an old hotel you would be expecting some creaks in the floors, old door handles, that type of thing. Refurbished. But that's not the case. It's old. The furniture is old and rundown. There is a VHS machine under the 27" flatscreen (hey, at least it's a flatscreen). Yes, VHS. I think I have a copy of the Breakfast Club somewhere in a box..... I gotta remember to bring that next time. No, there won't be a next time.

But seriously, let's see if there is anything else.... The tub tiles are circa 1970. The A/C unit is more like early 60's. I'll try to post a picture of the controls. You honestly don't care what the temperature is, when that thing kicks on, you will enjoy the cushy pillows to cover your head with! It's scary loud, rattles, shakes and makes noises that would make you believe the thing is haunted!

How about the furniture. Everything is scratched up or falling apart. This has nothing to do with it being an old hotel. It's just run down.

The internet? That really truly sucks. It is awful. It is dial-up slow and has the reliability of a 1980's Russian car. (That means bad.)

The electrical outlets??? Now there are 2 places you can plug into. One is next to the desk, but found out the hard way that when you turn off the light, most of the 6 outlet adapter in the one outlet will also turn off, so you wake up with cell phone dead, computer dead.... The other is in the bathroom. Thinking of using the iron? You'll have to bring the ironing board in the bathroom to plug it in. Be careful to not wipe the toilet with your white shirts....

Then there is an older mini flat screen above the toilet. It's kinda there, but if you touch it, it falls backwards. I decided that watching the little tv while standing in front of the toilet was not really necessary.

So is that all that makes this a poor experience?? NO!

I booked and paid for the hotel online a month prior to arriving. They had a special rate if you made it subject to no cancellation. 2 rooms, 2 nights, about $900. That's right $900 for what we got above. But it gets better. In the reservation, I asked about corner rooms (you want to be away from traffic and elevators). We were put in rooms FACING the elevators.... Thank you. And we asked about their breakfast packages as those were hard to figure out. They never responded, however they charged my credit card with olympic speed! So upon check in I asked about the breakfast and my question. "Sorry our manager isn't here. Sorry she didn't answer. She can call you when she gets back NEXT WEEK." So they get a total fail mark on all of this. Really, no one could figure it out right then and there??? The customer service just sucked as bad as the the Wi-Fi.

Turn down service. One of us got it offered the first night and the other didn't. Neither the second night.

Room phones.... just as bad as the Wi-Fi and the A/C unit. All sorts of noise and then just drops calls. Cells drop calls, not land lines!

All in all, it just wasn't impressive. It was an utter disappointment. We decided to go out for food or drinks as the idea of giving them any more money seemed wrong.

Planning a trip and want a boutique hotel? Go to the Kimpton in San Francisco. I have never been to the one in SF, but all the others are beyond awesome. The service is top notch, the rooms are perfect (and old). And they are comparably priced.

I totally regret having come here. If it hadn't been for the no cancellation thing they got me on, we would have left and gone anywhere else.... Oh well.

I'll try to send this now, but with the Wi-Fi, who knows if this will ever actually send!

Room Tip: Get a room somewhere else. Even if you ask for a specific type room, you won't get it.
5  Thank 112DesMoinesTraveler
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

At first glance it doesn't look that great. On the outside it kind of looked dirty and I even apologized to my girlfriend when I first saw it and told her I thought I got us a nice place. The inside was really nice though and the staff were friendly. The rooms were nice the bathroom was nice. The wifi however was horrible. It took me forever to connect to it and when I finally did, I lost it constantly until finally I lost connection all together and for the remainder of my stay I was unable to connect to their Internet. The outlets were horrible. I plugged in my ipad and it didn't charge and all my plug ins kept falling out of the outlets. They have a cool thing where you get free food from 10pm to 5am which is great if you're a stoner and have late night munchies. Well we went to see what they had and they had hard cookies, coffee, a couple plates of salami, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes to make a sandwich I suppose. They had bread and milk. It looked like food that didn't sell that day. We stayed there because we did the color run and it was around the corner from the park where it was being held. Having said that, if I were to go to San Jose again I would only stay here if I was doing the color run and I couldn't find another hotel near the park that was decent.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

I'll start this off by saying if you don't value old world niche hotel charm and would prefer large established places that you have a membership card to, this might not be the place for you...or maybe it is. I was traveling here to scope out wedding venues with my fiance and we were in between the Fairmont and other hotels. I finally determined we couldn't go wrong with a 3 star hotel in San Jose and used priceline. We ended up with de Anza and we couldn't have been happier. The only gripe I have is the parking situation with valet each day. The ambiance was awesome and coming from the east coast I wasn't expecting such a roaring 20's vibe on the west coast. Rooms are clean and unique and staff is friendly. Other cool extras like free movies and snacks made the stay even better. Friday had some fantastic jazz and great drinks. Overall a wonderful experience and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2014