“Downtown San Jose Gem”
Review of Hotel De Anza

Hotel De Anza
Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 17 December 2004

We stayed at this hotel and took advantage of the Special Events Package...it was great. There are plenty of nearby restaurants to choose from and it was a very easy and pleasant walk to the HP Pavilion. There was quite a crowd of people walking back to their hotels/parking after the event and so we felt "safe" even at 11 p.m. The hotel staff were great and the decor of the lobby and rooms was lovely. The real gem is the dining room which is decorated in a Spanish Mission stlyle with lovely bright colors. The breakfast was delicious with a great selection of sweet and savory items.
The late night "pantry" was a joke...we had to check it out, not because we were hungry but because we had read about how awful it was! Give it a miss and avoid the disappointment...bring your own midnight snacks. We slept very well as the bed was very comfortable and the noisy room heater was only minimally noticable (perhaps it blocked out the airport noise because that was not a problem.) The bathroom was gorgeous...great place for a long soak in the tub. We will certainly stay here again when in San Jose.

2  Thank 707Valdez
There are newer reviews for Hotel De Anza

Reviewed 1 October 2004

Stayed here on business in August, it was highly recommended by a friend in San Jose, and I'm glad I didn't read any of these other reviews beforehand! I was very impressed with the well-appointed and luxurious room, the service, the Italian restaurant downstairs... and the "Raid Our Pantry" was the icing on the cake. This is a very unique hotel and I will definitely stay here again when I come back to this area, which is something I don't say for most hotels I have visited.

2  Thank Jolysa
A TripAdvisor Member
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 12 September 2004

My experience at the Hotel de Anza was the worst I have experienced as a business traveler. Since I flew across country to San Jose, I arrived at the hotel at 1:30pm and they didn't want to check me in early although it was not crowded at all. My hotel room didn't have a coffeemaker or anything for tea in the morning. The advertised pantry food was mostly gone whenever I visited the pantry. The business center was management's offices which are closed on the weekend and after 5pm. It was too weird to used someone's desk and computer with their personal effects everywhere. The gym was a tiny room with no windows - too uncomfortable to use. The rooms are very noisy from outside traffic and early morning garbage pickups. I suggest skipping this hotel.

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 June 2004

I to did my research for Downtown San Jose hotels and read the reviews for the De Anza and it sounded fantastic.

We were in town for a concert taking at the nearby HP Pavillion. After perusing the hotel's website we chose the "Downtown Event Package" which included "the convenience of staying close to the excitement and complimentary valet parking. After the show you’ll be able to walk back to the hotel and have a drink in the Hedley Club or “Raid our Pantry” before relaxing in your luxurious guestroom. Includes overnight valet parking and a lavish breakfast buffet for two.

Here's why: Our room, while clean, was well worn. Baggage scuff marked the walls and elevators and displayed a general lack of detail awareness.

The hotel is directly beneath the landing zone for San Jose International Airport. This makes for even noisier hotel stay.

The after concert "Raid Our Pantry" feature was a complete scam. There are no late night restaurants open in downtown San Jose and the Hedley Club stops serving at 10 pm (according to an bored, indifferent cocktail server), therefore the pantry was our only option. We found it to be what it said, "raided." There were only scraps of food, discarded waste, a few cookie crumbs and a few slices of ham, white bread and lettuce. In essence, it was barren. We contacted the front desk who (also indifferently) advised us to "wait 10 minutes" so it could be restocked. A hotel representive did appear a short time later only to direct us to wait outside for 10 more minutes while he replenished the food. Needless to say we passed on his suggestion...

The "lavish breakfast buffet" the next morning was somewhat better.

Upon checkout we passed our comments on to the pleasant front desk clerk, who informed us that the pantry "does get like that on concert nights." Which puzzled us since the hotel was aware of the condition of the pantry, but did nothing to compensate for the lack of food and the mess.

Bottom line, our package (almost $200) at Hotel DeAnza was a disappointment. The overall experience was OK at best. I would not recommend or stay there again.

7  Thank Parrothead63
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 March 2004

This hotel is beautiful and the best service I have ever experienced.
We stayed in a jr. suite which was spacious and comfortable. It featured a desk, couch, large bathroom & minibar. Lots of lamps, lots of windows *with curtains* and a closet with iron & ironing board. This hotel was built in the 1930's and redone in modern decor. On the 2nd floor they have a small room for midnight snacks, called "raid the pantry". I thought it would be a few cookies, but they had breads, deli trays, milk, juice & cookies. It does get crowded after customers flow in after concerts and games at nearby HP pavilion. It gets a little cramped in there and they did run out of a few things, but the hotel employees told us if anything was run out in the "pantry" let them know. When we checked out, they had a huge basket of more cookies, and another basket of fruit. He told us we can take as many as we want home since they bake hundreds of cookies all night. He even gave us small bakery cookie bags to take them in. The De Anza is within walking distance from the HP Pavilion, about 2 blocks. It's not a huge hotel so does fill up if a major event is in town. The one downfall is paying for parking since it is in a downtown location. I think it was $15 for valet overnight parking, otherwise you would have to park a block away and pay in a parking garage anyway. I did see package deals which include parking. We didn't eat at their restaurant, but it looks beautiful and the night we were there it was full.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 3 February 2004

I read the reviews for the De Anza Hotel and it sounded fantastic.
Nothing could be further from the truth for a business traveller. The first word that comes to mind is funky. Don't let the pictures or reviews fool you. This hotel must have been built in the 1930's and shows its age. The windows are thin glass that let all street noise in.
Since there are no curtains, all the street lights stream in all night also. There is no closet. The "pillows" look like round couch cushions.
Even with a request, you cannot receive what most people consider a normal pillow. If you have a business meeting, you cannot look into the closet for an iron, because there is none. If you expect to be able to make yourself a cup of coffee or tea in your room to wake up in the morning, forget it. You must dress and go downstairs to eat or drink anything. Everything about this hotel was a disappointment.

4  Thank pgwinegar
Reviewed 16 January 2004

This hotel is very nice and luxurious, although our room seemed rather small. Plus, even though we reserved through Orbitz they could not find our reservations! The breakfast was spectacular. The Pantry that is available to raid was a disappointment. We went to San Jose to experience the hockey game and many other fans walked back to the hotel afterward, all of us raiding the pantry at the same time! They had some coldcuts (gone by the time I got there), cookies, fruit. Nothing too special (especially after hot dogs at the hckey game). BUT walking around in downtown San Jose in the afternoon and evening before the game was quite fun -- the holiday decorations were up in the downtown "square" and there were loads of restaurants and shops to explore. Plus the museum. All in all a fun night.

3  Thank cruisingblue