“Gross but Affordable for the Area”
Review of Hotel Elan

Hotel Elan
Ranked #56 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 29 September 2012

I've stayed in inexpensive motels and hotels plenty my entire life. They're not impressive but sometimes you just need a place to stay that has a clean bed and bathroom. I was shocked at how disgusting this place was. We booked our trip through Expedia for $70/night for a conference we were attending in San Jose.

I'll start with the positives: clean bed sheets, the price was very affordable for being as close to the convention center and nicer parts of downtown San Jose, free wi-fi internet access in the rooms, free parking, free continental breakfast (although I can't comment on the quality of breakfast because we didn't eat any), in-room microwave, in-room mini fridge.

But the rooms were disgustingly gross and dirty. The bed sheets were clean, but that was about it. (I even saw the cleaning lady put sheets in the on-site washer). The bathroom, carpets, walls, everything else had not been cleaned.

You get out of the shower and your wet feet created dirty footprints on the white bathroom tiled floor. Just to be clear, my feet had been in socks and shoes all day...they weren't creating the dirt, the floor was already dirty.

After the shower footprint incident, I wore socks or shoes the entire time I was in the room to create a barrier between my feet and the floor and worst carpet I've ever seen in my life. There were clear water stains all of the carpet and they were dark and very dirty looking.

The walls in the room and bathroom had dirty marks and "stuff" on them. The ironing board cover was stained and I had to put a towel down on top of it so I could iron my shirt. You get the picture.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank Heather W

Reviewed 20 September 2012

I was very disappointed with my stay from September 1, through September 3, 2012. Not only was the cleanness of your hotel in question but the service rendered particular by the housekeeping staff not what I would have expected from Howard Johnson. Upon arrival I discovered that the rooms and beds were dirty, found bugs in the room and to add insult to injury the toilet overflowed that evening. The maid assigned to our room on Sunday was extremely rude and very disrespectful, wanted to clean our rooms while we were still in them! Explained that we were still resting and would be leaving by noon, so to come back at that time. Displayed a very nasty attitude, and when she did clean the room, when we returned, found the carpets had not been vacuumed; she had not left a sufficient amount of towels in the bathroom, and did not replace the coffee packs or toiletries for the room. We had to request these items from the front desk. Parking was a disaster. When we would arrive back for the night, there were no spaces available and the van for the hotel was illegally parked in not one but two handicapped spaces. I have never been so totality disenchanted with my stay in any hotel like I was at your facilities in Jamaica, New York. Unfortunately because of family circumstances I will be returning to New York that will require our staying at a hotel; but I can promise you this because of the conditions described here and more, this will be my first and last time staying at Howard Johnson.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Bronsene T
Reviewed 20 July 2012

April was super helpful, pleasant, and very competant. Great prices, would definatly stay again. Local restaurant was good, taxi's readily available.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms were very nice and quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I booked this on priceline, I wasn't looing for anyhting special so I figured it would be good enough. Not the case. Ive stayed in sone doosies, but this was probably the worst hotel I've stayed in. THere was a big spot in the ceiling that wasnt painted and was obvious that they had recently patched over a previous poor patch job. The bathroom was clean enough. The bed was ok, but squeaked everytime I moved. The carpet was filthy. My socks would stick to it as I walked around. Pretty gross.

Room Tip: Dont stay here
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank iowatraveler100
Reviewed 6 March 2012

Spur of the moment trip to San Jose to see my best friend. Chose this hotel because it was the closest to her house. The place looked clean enough until I lifted the covers and the sheets were covered in hair, as if someone had cut their hair in the bed. I'm not kidding. My friend, who is less squeamish than I went to the front desk to get new sheets. She changed them herself. There was more hair in the bathroom, and a slightly dirty toilet. The "jetted tub" is a very small bathtub with a dial on the wall. I will never book a hotel again without looking at the pictures.
Also, lots of people hanging out outside their rooms. Noisy at times.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank RMarieMpls
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The Hotel Elan used to be in the Howard Johnson chain, but they parted ways about four months ago. It is about 1 mile south of the centre of San Jose, and definitely "on the wrong side of the tracks" in a downbeat part of town. It's true that it is rather basic, as American motels go, and that the manager is taciturn and lacking in people skills. But you get what you pay for. My room was large and (relatively) well equipped. The bed was comfortable. The WiFi was free and fast. There was a (somewhat infrequent) bus service into town, and the breakfast was ample, given the minimal setting in the lobby. It could have been worse.

Room Tip: Ask for one upstairs and at the back, away from the highway outside.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Colour-Professor
Reviewed 19 September 2011

Bottom line do not stay here! I was under the impression by booking on the Howard Johnson Express website that I would be staying in a Howard Johnson Express. Apparently that's not how things work in San Jose. The name of the hotel is now Hotel Elan even though I booked through Howard Johnson Express. I was given no indication that this was the case. Strike one. My husband and I were going to bring our dog with us since the hotel is pet friendly. I called to ask what the rate was and got an answer that began with...umm I'm not sure. I think it's just $10 and you tell the front desk staff when you check in. So instead of taking her word for it (and possibly getting stuck w/o a pet friendly room) I emailed the contacts listed on the Howard Johnson Express website (which was also the email listed on the confirmation email I received) and received no response. Strike two. We made other arrangements for our dog and stayed by ourselves at the hotel. Upon check out the hotel tried to charge us almost $30 more than what I agreed to pay on line. I argued and the front office lady did some "recalculation" and charged me less. However it was still more than I agreed to pay originally. I mentioned this again and she said and I quote: "It's only a few dollars more. And I can't do anything else". I responded, "I don't care if it's a penny more. That is not what I agreed to pay and I will be instituting a charge back with my credit card company". Strike three. I will not be staying here again and I may not stay at a Howard Johnson again for that matter. Plus there were numerous hookers and transients milling about in the parking lot. Not acceptable.

Room Tip: The dumpster down the street would be better quality/value.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple