“I keep coming back.”

Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown
Ranked #11 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I travel to the US from the UK every month, so I've stayed in my fair share of hotels. I stay at the Crowne Plaza whenever I'm in San Jose.

The location is great. Walking distance to a bunch of good restaurants and bars, and a $2 bus ride to Valley Fair Mall.

The staff are great. The rooms are as you would expect in a 4 star hotel. Clean and spacious and comfortable.

Breakfast is OK. The bar serves dinner. It's usually pretty quiet in there, and the quality of the food is not great, but it's ok for a beer and a sandwich. With so many good restaurants nearby, that's no real hardship.

Over all a great stay (this time was 7 nights), and I'll keep coming back.

• Stayed: May 2011

Reviewed 5 May 2011

This was my first time to the hair show in San Jose and my colleagues were staying at the Crowne Plaza so I decided to stay there also. As soon as I walked into the hotel they impressed me. The front desk staff were so welcoming. I have been to hotels where they don't even say hi when you walk in and it just makes you want to go in your room and stay there, I didn't feel that way here. The room was very clean and the beds were so nice. The bed was nicer then mine at home. The only thing was I could here the plans over head, but I was on the top floor. Even with the planes I still had a great night sleep. That night we had dinner in the restaurant and the food and staff were great. The portions were big, it was enough food to feed two people. I believe our servers name was Shana and she was so attentive and made sure that everything was great. I am coming back to this hotel next year. HIGHLY RECOMENDED!!!

Reviewed 5 May 2011

We stayed here for two nights with our two young children. Because we wanted a little extra space, we were able to get a room that connected to a living room with a large meeting table and comfortable seating. Our girls loved watching the light rail trains come and go from their perch in the living room.

The hotel is very well located - within walking distance of the Tech Museum, San Jose's Children's Museum, and many other downtown attractions. Staff were friendly, knowledgeable about the local area, and helpful. They even put a portable refrigerator in our room (without us requesting it) because they knew we were traveling with young children.

The beds were incredibly comfortable and the rooms were clean. The lobby has a great modern decor. The onsite fitness center includes a sauna. Some of the fitness machines weren't working at the time of our visit, but my understanding is that the hotel will be renovated soon.

We will definitely be returning to this hotel the next time we come to the Bay Area.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 April 2011

The management team was very receptive to my needs and questions. Management treated me like a family member in their home. Management ensured that my stay was the ultimate hotel experience. They provided me with a complimentary dinner at the hotel restaurant (very delicious meal), for my small inconveinience. Hotel has modern decor, rooms are plush and quiet, with a great work out room. I will most definately stay and eat here again on my next visit to San Jose. Hotel is centrally located in the downtown area, close to shops and restaurants. They gained a repeat customer.

Room Tip: Book online, and ask to face the north side.
Reviewed 14 April 2011

I travel quite a bit for with job and stay at a number of hotels. I have found the Crowne Plaza San Jose to be one of the best in terms of customer service, cleanliness, and overall quality. My room was clean and the bed comfortable. The employees are so friendly. I found them willing to "go the extra mile". I would certainly recommend this hotel to any one traveling to San Jose

Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 April 2011

This hotel is conveniently located across from the convention center. The beds are OUTSTANDING, I am thinking about ordering their pillows for my house :) I love them!!! I prefer staying here over any other hotel in the area because I know I am guaranteed a good nights sleep. Their coffee is yummy and the front desk staff is extremely friendly and helpful. I had 3 different reservations and lots of questions, Tony was patient enough to help me get everything squared away. He never got frustrated and answered all my questions. The free apples at the front desk are a nice treat. They also have a couple computers in the lobby that allow you to surf the web and print stuff for free. Thank you Crown Plaza for not letting me down again!!!

Reviewed 9 March 2011

I stayed here because the Hilton was full and I wanted to get American Airline miles. It was affordable <$200) and the bedding was nice. The staff was pleasant, there was a basic restaurant and bar and the lobby was small but okay. There are much better hotels in the area, but some that you would expect to be top notch are only "okay" (Marriott and Hilton) and can be pretty expensive. Basically, a decent, but very average hotel. Street noise was pretty bad in the room until I turned on the fan. Very close to the convention center and Adobe. The wireless internet was EXCEEDINGLY slow.....

The big irritation was that the normal room supplies (soap and such) were not provided until I asked for them at the front desk. There was, however, a sign that said that any unused shampoo or soap will be given to kids in developing countries.

Really? Is that why you didn't give me any shampoo or soap Crowne Plaza? Did you ship it to Cameroon and give it to some poor child so he can at be clean and smell like lilac while he starves to death?

Screw that cheap crap-- I paid $200 a night and, since I can't bring shampoo along with me on the plane, I darn well expect it to be provided by a $200 a night hotel. The pretense that you didn't provide it because of some great benevolent impulse on your part (and at my expense) is BS. You were just being cheap.

In short, stay elsewhere unless this hotel is the only one available or is way, way cheaper than the competition.

Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Middle_Aged_Man
thoken, Director of Sales at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2011

Dear "Middle Aged Man":

We do appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us at the Crowne Plaza San Jose. I was pleased to see you positive comments regarding the bedding and the pleasant staff.

I was disappointed to learn that your room was void of the basic bathroom amenities. This was a rare oversight on the part of our housekeeping staff, and for that I am very sorry.

As your review indicates, we do donate the shampoos and soaps that are opened by our guests and not completely used, to an organization that cleans and recycles these products to help underdeveloped countries. Clean the World is a reputable organization that works with many hotels including ours and has helped countless children around the world, with what would otherwise be thrown away as trash.

Our participation in this worthwhile organization has absolutely nothing to do with our housekeeper who apperantly missed a 'step' in replenishing your bathroom amenities.

Again, I am truly sorry for the overshight and for the perception it left you regarding your stay with us. We certainly value our customers, their feedback, and certainly do not ever intend to deprive them of anything but excellent service and superior accommodations. I do hope that you will forgive our misstep and give us another opportunity to host your stay, should travels bring you back to the San Jose area.

Sincerely, Thor Kennedy