“2 star room, 4 star service/location”

Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown
Ranked #13 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
United States
“2 star room, 4 star service/location”
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Location is convienent - near the SJC Airport, convention center, and freeways. Stayed there for two nights, and checked-in around midnight one evening. The guest services representative was very friendly and waived our parking for that evening since it was so late already. Unfortunately I was so tired that I didn't get his name - but it was definitely unexpected, and very appreciated! The downstairs lobby, bar and dining area is nice and updated; however, once we got to the room things went downhill. The overall room needs an upgrade. Bathroom was old and somewhat dingy, bathroom towels were thin, furniture was old and beat up - lots of scratches, and marks. We have stayed at many Hyatt properties, and although Hyatt Place is not one of their higher end chains, I did expect a lot more from a Hyatt property in general. My husband is a business traveler who will always try to stay at a Hyatt property before looking elsewhere, but in San Jose? He now stays at a Marriott.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Stephen S, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, 12 August 2014
Thank you for your kind words regarding service and I am happy to hear that you were well taken care of. I am also happy to let you know that we will be replacing all of our desks and dressers by the end of this year which will make a huge difference in the guest room appearance. We are always continuing to improve and feedback such as yours make sure we are doing it where the guests would like to see it most. Thank you again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

The location is excellent- if you're here for business it is right near the airport and conference centre, and if you're here with the family, you are right next to attractions like the children's discovery museum, the tech museum, the sights of downtown San Jose. Rooms are nice and well catered, the free breakfast is excellent, and there is gd 24/7 gallery host service (call down and order your food then pick it up). Parking was quite expensive but reasonable for a city centre location. Wifi wasn't great for downloads eg streaming video, especially in evenings, but all in all a very pleasant dtay

• Stayed August 2014
Stephen S, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We look forward to having you back soon!
California
Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

I reserved a room with two beds and a couch. I got a room with two beds and no couch. We went right back down and they switched us to another room. That was appreciated. The parking is expensive and the room was way overpriced ($300). Oh well.

The bartender, Nick, was very nice. He recommended a restaurant and it was amazing! The hotel is fairly close to everything. We took the kids to Raging Waters. They had a blast. We had dinner at Mexcal (thanks again, Nick)! Then, we had ice cream at Cream. That was also delicious. Beds are comfy. It's noisy due to the airport. No swimming pool. Boo. But, the breakfast was yummy. Oh, and the kids wanted to go for a walk at night. Nope! Lots of homeless. It didn't feel safe. Overall, it was a good experience. I'll get over the fact that I had to pay so much to stay here.

Stayed July 2014
Stephen S, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for the review and I am glad Nick was able to take good care of you. I hope you and your family enjoyed your stay and please feel free to contact me directly the next time you will be staying with us. Have a wonderful day!
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 24 July 2014

This is the first Hyatt Place at which I've stayed, and I was mostly impressed. The price ($120) was extremely reasonable for a downtown property, and the location couldn't be better if downtown is your destination: close to the freeway, a few blocks from San Jose State University, right next door to the Tech Museum (great for kids), not far from the art museum, and surrounded by a variety of restaurants and landmarks. The room was very nice--a partial glass wall partitioned off the bed from a spacious corner-couch, and the desk was larger than the norm, which was great for my work. The bed was extremely comfortable, and the bathroom was nice as well. There was a spacious and well-equipped workout room (with barbells, ellipticals, bikes, and treadmills), but contrary to a hotel TV info-channel picture and invitation to enjoy the pool, there is NO pool (or hot tub) at this hotel. They also offer a plentiful free hot/cold breakfast, and a 24 hour sandwich/snack/drink bar (but no hotel gift/supply store).

Downsides: pricey parking relative to room cost ($22/day), no pool, noise from conference/party rooms close to the lobby, occasional very loud noise from jets (it's right under the flight path to SJC airport), constant troubles with the parking lot gate, and uneven service (reception personnel were very nice, but calls to the front desk to forego maid service for promotional food vouchers were ignored one day and provided no voucher another day). The area is also plagued by multitudes of homeless people, but that's true of downtown San Jose generally.

Room Tip: Ask for higher floors away from street traffic noise and conference/reception room noise.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank AeneasAtSea
Thank you for your feedback. Reviews such as these will help us get better at providing the right service and services for our guests. We look forward to another opportunity to earn your loyalty.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Free a.m. Kitchen Skillet was awesome. Enjoyed every morning of it. Other than that, my stay at the Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown was uncomfortable. My family was moved from room to room the first night because of a flood on the carpet - due to the faulty air conditioning.
If that was not enough hassle, the second room we were in during my second night also had a faulty air conditioning; it just stopped working in the middle of the night.
I was advised that an engineer will come in the morning, so we just had to endure the hot room all night.
It was disturbing that the staff had very poor communication not only to fellow staff members, but also to guests.

All I wanted was to get what I actually paid for. Unfortunately, nobody was able to provide or at the very least offer any sensible solution to my very unpleasant stay.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Arnel A
I sincerely apologize for the AC issues you had while a guest here. I would like the opportunity to make this right for you so please call me directly if you would like to discuss further. I will follow up with the staff to ensure we address these issues more efficiently in the future. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience as we are always looking for ways to improve.
Connecticut
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

I spent two nights here. Check in went very well and the room was spacious, comfortable and clean. I have stayed in two other Hayatt Place hotels and they were both brand new and very modern. This is a notch below that but still fine. Staff was helpful in calling me a cab and the breakfast was like the other Hyatt Place hotels - not the Four Seasons but a step above typical "free" hotel breakfasts. You can do a lot worse.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GK12650
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on our hotel. We look forward to having you back soon!
Newcastle, California
Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

So, we check in at 9pm after a long day of travels, only to find that the 2 Double bed room with sofa that we reserved for 5 people AND I have a printed confirmation for is not available. I only booked here because it accomodated 5 (supposedly). Instead we are given an ADA room with 2 double beds... No rollaway available. The front desk ataff were very nice but basically said "too bad" and didnt come up with any other solution. The adjacent parking structure for the hotel only is near empty and yet I'm told by hotel staff that there are no other rooms because the whole hotel is booked. Thank God we happened to have a sleeping bag in the car for our trip since one person had to sleep on the floor!! The room only had 3 towels so we had to call for more (which they did promptly bring).

The room and hotel is modern and seems nice and business like. Wallpaper in the bathroom is peeling by shower and I had to laugh at "free" earplugs by bedside... Since this hotel is by the airport the massive planes overhead require their use for sleep. Luckily the sound of jet engines is mildly also drowned out by the in-window-wall air conditioning unit that is rattling and shaking, the running small refrigerator and loud neighbors through the paper thin walls. Gonna be a great night! (Not!) Highly recommend a different hotel if you have more than 4 people in your party and you like peaceful, quiet places to sleep.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank SCrawford97
Stephen S, General Manager at Hyatt Place San Jose/Downtown, responded to this review, 14 July 2014
I am sincerely sorry for the issues you experienced while at our hotel. I would like the opportunity to discuss this with you and see what we can do to address them and reassure you that this is not a standard experience here at the Hyatt Place San Jose. Please feel free to give me a call directly.

Thank you!