“HORRIBLE!!!”

Extended Stay America - San Jose - Downtown
Ranked #51 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 14 July 2013

First I will say hold your nose before you even walk into your room because there is smell from out of this world. Second, get plenty of sleep before you come here, it is impossible to sleep due to the bed feeling as hard as the floor and the feather pillows poking you in the face all night. Third, make sure to ask for a shower mat or you will FALL, yes I did on to the floor out of shower, and it hurt! Fourth, make sure your bring your own cookware, plastic ware, and cups; they only give you one pan(only after to have to ask for the pan), no plastic ware, and one cup(again only after you have to ask). When I arrived there was a draining pan, 3 plates, 2 bowls, and 2 coffee mugs, that was it. After all of this I can honestly say this is the most HORRIBLE experience I have had with a hotel!!

Room Tip: Don't choose a room here, you will regret it!
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mtown702

Reviewed 23 June 2013

We stay at this property every Monday thru Thursday and really appreciate the service and value. Our room includes a nice kitchen so we can prepare our food there, the bed is comfortable, the staff is always helpful and the location is central to everything in San Jose. We highly recommend this hotel for overall value and comfort.

Room Tip: The 2nd floor rooms have a nicer view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2013

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I am glad to read that you were pleased with the comfort of your room and the customer service provided to you during your stay. The staff and I look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Reviewed 13 May 2013

Excellent hospitality, by Rebecca, Maria and Mariena. Would highly recommend for your next stay. They were very flexible with our late flight schedule, made us feel at home. Clean rooms and comfy beds

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 9 May 2013

Our first time to stay here. We've stayed at 8 Extended Stay Hotels since December 2012. We are very pleased with all of them. The room is very comfortable and oversized, and very quiet. Great to have a kitchen and really nice bathroom, too. No pool, but that is ok because we are very busy. Also, the grab and go breakfast is all we need to start the day.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 April 2013

I looked here for reviews before staying at this Hotel in San Jose. Many of the negative comments are a result of not understanding what this chain targets for customers. They offer good rooms, with fridge and small cooking facilities, for people who normally stay in places for a long time (days or weeks). For your money, you get something like a small efficiency apartment, which has clean sheets when you check in, and maid service once a week if you stay longer than a week. They have plates and glasses enough for 2 people, and more or less a full sized fridge. If you want your Bed to look like it was made up when you return to your room, you have to make it yourself in the morning. Just like home.... If you leave towels on the floor of the bathroom, they will still be there when you get back form work (just like home). Given the price for this hotel in San Jose, I would be happy to stay here for a week or two if I were in town for training or some long-term project.

As others have mentioned here, the staff is very nice. I made a mistake and showed up a week before my reservation. The desk clerk and the manager resolved the problem and found me a room which was a relief. They could have easily sent me looking for an other Hotel as they were heavily booked, but they did everything they could to help me.

My only real problem was that I got a no-smoking room as requested, but it had been smoked in both recently and frequently. I guess one of the side effects of only having rooms cleaned once a week (or between guests) is that people can smoke in non-smoking rooms for weeks on end, and not get noticed. The cleaning people tried to cover the smell up with industrial chemicals, but that just makes things worse. Luckily the chemical smell was gone in 24 hours and I just had to deal with the smoke for the last 3 days. The energy-saving AC unit has motion sensors so it will run only when there is a person moving around in the room; this means you are not able to leave the AC fan on all-day to help circulate the air. So, if you have allergies or asthma, you might want to check that your non-smoking room is acceptable to you.

If you want a decent hotel in the Bay area where you can save some money by keeping cereal and milk in a fridge or heating up a TV dinner, this is a pretty good place.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Hello I stayed here a week and extended for another. The staff was extremely professional and a joy to interact with. Had to interact with the manager Rebecca as well as Riana and Jennifer.. they provided excellent service and were extremely personable and pleasant. Planning on staying here again on my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Jose - Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2013

Our many thanks for your review of Extended Stay America San Jose. It sounds as if our staff had made you feel right at home. Rebecca, Rianna and Jennifer are definitely an asset to our deep commitment to excellent service each and every guest stay. It makes us proud to know our staff is kind, caring and helpful so that our guests know how important we feel that they are to us. We hope that you will continue to stay with us and that you will visit us again should your travels bring you back to the San Jose area. Thank you again from the Management at Extended Stay America San Jose.

Reviewed 30 March 2013

I have been here for six months and want to say how much I appreciate the people who work here. Maryann, Catherine, Henry, Frank, Teresa, Narineh, and Jennifer -- I know I'm leaving out someone: Thanks! You have all be helpful, personable, and quick to solve problems when they come up. They were also patient when there was no problem; I just did not know how to work a panel of switches.

The place seems a little short-staffed, which is no surprise, but everyone still manages to be pleasant and concerned about the guests. They've treated me well.
Thanks again to all.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank S_C_B_2013

We would like to extend our thanks for your kind words about our staff at Extended Stay America San Jose. It is very rewarding to hear that our staff makes you feel at home when you stay with us. Given our companies commitment to excellence this comes as no surprise we pride ourselves on providing fresh and comfortable accommodations coupled with outstanding service each and every stay. We will be sure to pass on your thanks as well as ours to the entire staff for a job well done. We thank you again for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again. With our thanks the Management at Extended Stay America San Jose.