“Great place to stay!”

Great place to stay!

• Stayed: September 2010
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose

Reviewed 8 September 2010

This hotel was a very nice surprise for my wife and I. It was great to have a free shuttle service from the airport. Our driver was very nice and took very good care of all on-board. Check in was fast and smooth. The man who helped us was outstanding !! PLUS, Hot Cookies, mmmm, Choco-chip ! I found the entire staff to be very polite and there to help all.
Our room on the 7th floor overlooked the swimming pool area. Great view towards the west of the valley. The room was very clean and quite large. Wolfgang Puck Coffee pod maker and pods in the room. A nice touch and great coffee. The small amenities are a super plus. Our room attendant was Excellent, If my wife needed something they were right there to help. Great Service.
The hotel itself was very nice. All the common areas were bright and super clean. Being able to print out our flight's boarding passes right there was a very nice touch. One can hang around in the lobby and enjoy the fireplace and bar area. Large Flat Screened TV's displayed everything from the current sports to the Departure and Arrival screens from the airport.
However there were a few things that needed to be looked at. I understand the hotel is a very busy place, and this should in no way steer anyone away from going there. Only 2 elevators were in service to our room. The ice machine on our floor was broken. The ceiling tiles in our room entryway needed to be replaced with new ones. The drain holes in the shower soap trays need to be cleaned out with a small diameter brush. One big thing was the time it took to get hot water to the room. You waste too much water running it and waiting for it to even warm up. Maybe an open recirculating hot water loop would be a good idea.
These are small things. The total hotel is well worth one staying there. I WILL be staying there again. When ever we go to San Jose, This is the best place to stay. From the shuttle service to the great staff, the Double Tree will not let you down.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I recently spent four nights at the Doubletree for a high school reunion trip. The reunion events were all held at the hotel, so we decided to stay there for convenience. It was extremely convenient to the airport and close to many restaurants and other activities. W The had a pleasant stay and the staff was very courteous. The room was clean and my son loved the pool.

There were a few negatives:
- Internet access in your room costs $18 per day, which is ridiculous. That might be OK for business travelers who can write it off on their expense reports but it should be free to hotel guests. Note: they did have a couple of computers in the lobby with free access. Guest parking was also $18 per day. It adds up quickly.

- The tile around the pool is unbelievably slippery everywhere. We saw at least a dozen people (children included) slip and fall while we were there. I can't believe that someone hasn't fallen with a serious head injury yet. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

-There was a fire alarm at 4am and the entire hotel was evacuated into the parking lot. No hotel staff ever came out to tell us what was going on or when to go back in. The fire department never came. Huge lack of communication and coordination there.

- There was a cockroach running around the lobby one evening. I never saw any others but wasn't particularly thrilled to see that one. I know it's an unfortunate byproduct of hotels.

Reviewed 7 September 2010

Doubletree is so lucky that the online pictures of their guestrooms are 100 times better than in reality. The lobby was very nice, modern and comfortable. But a short trip to the 7th floor tells a different story. Old, outdated and in desperate need of a really BIG renovation.
As soon as we stepped out of the elevators the "Old" smell hit us strong. Right there and then I knew that I should have booked a different hotel. The guest room was dark, old, smelly, outdated. I was shocked. No flat screen tv. The furniture was old and scratched. I didn't want to touch anything in that room. My husband immediately called the lobby asking them if they had any "Newer, renovated rooms." Maybe something closer to what we saw on the pictures. Nope! Nothing better! IT WAS SO OLD AND OUTDATED THAT THE CAPS ON THE BOTTLED WATER WERE COVERED IN DUST. THE CREAMER NEXT TO THE COFFEE WAS EXPIRED. DISGUSTING! Oh and Parking was $18. Not cheap!
This is nowhere near a 4star hotel. 2-2.5 stars at most. I'm not staying at a Doubletree hotel again unless it's brand new or newly renovated. Never AGAIN!

Reviewed 7 September 2010

We love the Doubletree Hotels. They are older, large buildings with lots of wings and rooms. Lots of windows and outdoor areas. This location was one of the best as far as updates and cleanliness, nice grounds (lots of green/trees). Close to the San Jose airport, complimentary shuttle. Many of our shuttle riders were using the park and fly, better rates than the airport. Love the signature cookies !! PROS. Typical of other Doubletree Hotels, the 2Q room is huge, double bathroom sinks in separate areas (one in bath area, one in closet foyer area), sliding door opens to small balcony, nice linens/bedding and towels; coffee maker, desk work area, very clean. CONS. No refrig/micro, charge for internet, limited TV selection, needs new shower head, expect airplane noise. What's up Hilton? About time to offer complimentary in-room internet to at least your Hilton Honors members !

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 September 2010

When you walk through the lobby and see the valet parking it would suggest a nice hotel, but a quick walk through the halls and the rooms and you quickly realize it is not. The rooms are old, wallpaper peeling, doors and furniture badly chipped, the toilet not firmly bolted down. I booked with priceline.com which listed this as a 4 star...it is definitely not.. maybe 2.5 star. The ceiling tile in our room would flap when the A/C was turned making it difficult to sleep. The ice machine on our floor was broken, had to get it from the next floor which broke the next day, so had to go to another after that. It was not repaired during our stay there. Plus on top, there's a $20/ day for parking. I definitely would NOT recommend this hotel. This is first time I used Priceline and my last. I'll stick with Hotwire. Stay here only you're expecting to pay 2.5 star prices.

Reviewed 1 September 2010

We had been in Carmel and had an early flight out of San Jose, so decided to stay overnight at the Doubletree. The shuttle to the airport was the main reason we decided to stay there. From the minute we walked through the door, everyone was friendly, efficient and helpful. I mentioned that it was my birthday and we were given a dinner voucher for the steak restaurant on the property. Our room was large, nicely decorated and very quiet. The bed was comfortable. They had flight information in the lobby as well as computers and a place to print our boarding passes. It did not feel like an airport hotel, though. The shuttle ride was short and easily available. I encourage anyone to stay here.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple