“Guest rooms need renovation! Not recommended!.”

DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose
Ranked #16 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 November 2010

The guest rooms have popcorn cieling and the curtain scrapes on the cieling which loosens the popcorn into powder. Checkin was very slow, the front desk staff is not aware of our reservation so we feel unwelcomed. There is dust surrounding the AC vents. The TV closet has the door removed and the furnitures are very old. I have to ask for a refrigerator setup. I asked if there are other rooms with better furnishing and I was told that all rooms are the same.

Oramge juice is not included with your breakfast and no breakfast pastries.

When I tried estending my reservation for one day, I was told that they will jave to increase my rate by $ 10 a night.

I will not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010

Reviewed 30 November 2010

I attended a small conference at the Doubletree and stayed two nights. This is a very large hotel but is staffed by friendly people. The room was clean and spacious, with the bed meeting Hilton's standards for quality. The (unstaffed) concierge lounge had soft drinks and apples (although no bottled water or other snacks) and comfortable seating areas with a computer-and-printer setup. There are many meeting rooms of various sizes. In addition to the usual gift shop in the lobby there is a package mailing center that can take care of a number of business needs. Hotel personnel drove our group to a local restaurant one night using their courtesy vans, saving us a lot of money.

The breakfast buffet was good...especially with the free coupon I was given! I ate dinner one night at the sushi bar and found it to be pricey but enjoyable.

The location near the San Jose Airport can't be beat. From all indications, this is a well-run hotel that will meet all of your business travel needs.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 November 2010

Great place to stay with the kids. We have 3 children under age 6. The loved the cookies. Hung out at the pool all day on Saturday and they had so much fun. Clean rooms with plenty of pillows. Would stay there again. Hotel is in a good location close driving distance to everything we needed.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 November 2010

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times. Usually my stay is quite short in duration, so I cannot comment on the surrounding area. I can say that I have always experienced great service with a smile. I find the rooms spacious compared to most places; and, the beds and pillows are very comfortable. I've never had a problem with noise, so I always sleep well here. The lobby is very grand and is beautifully decorated for the holidays. I love the complimentary cookies. Van service to the airport is excellent, too. I highly recommend this hotel.

Reviewed 23 November 2010

From the moment I stepped into their beautiful lobby, I knew it would be a great experience. I was there for a business meeting at the hotel. My room was near perfect. Overall, my experience was pleasant and I would return to this location if I am again on a business or personal trip to San Jose!

Pros: multiple food options on site, friendly staff, well placed meeting rooms, updated amenities in the sleeping rooms, overall good food quality, airport shuttle was timely, plenty of lunch time restaurants to walk to

Cons: cost of parking, location of courtesy phones in the meeting room areas, lack of dinner time restaurants within walking distance, lack of shuttle in a "5 mile radius"

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business
CookieOnArrival, Director of Business Development at DoubleTree by Hilton San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2010

Dear texymexy16,

On behalf of the Doubletree Hotel San Jose, we would like to thank you for taking the time to review us. Every comment that is posted is taken into consideration and we love to hear how we can become a better hotel in our guests’ eyes.

We are very happy to see you enjoyed your stay with us. We take pride in delivering a friendly and welcoming staff, clean rooms, delicious meals, and more.

We are sorry you were unsatisfied with our surroundings, such as restaurants and shuttles. We hope you informed our parking staff that you were interesting in nearby entertainment so they could update you with what is around and call you a cab. We try our best to satisfy every guests needs, the greatest way possible.

Again, thank you for staying with us and for reviewing our hotel. We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 November 2010

Staff were extremely friendly. The shuttle to/from airport is very accessible and timely.

I was there for a convention and there were shuttle buses provided to take us downtown. I'm not sure if the hotel provided these or someone else, but they were very useful.

The hotel lobby was very clean and inviting. My room was in great condition.

The only cons were:

1)My room key (card) was demagnetized both days that I was there. That was annoying having to walk all the way up to my room on sixth floor, not being able to get in, and then walking all the way back to front desk (twice!). I was told that having the key next to a cell phone will do this, but they need to find a new key technology because cell phones are everywhere nowadays.

2) Location is extremely convenient for airport (right across the street), but not good for downtown San Jose. I walked one day from hotel to the trolley and it was a bit of a hike. I can see where most people would not want to do this.

Dear 123Chad123,

Thank you for taking your valuable time to review our hotel.

We are very pleased that you experienced our friendly staff and that the hotel shuttle service provided the services to your satisfaction.

We do understand your frustration with your room key. De-magnification of magnetic stripped cards by cell phones does need to be fixed through new technology. We are looking for resolution as it relates to our hotel product and hope to eliminate this issue in the near future.

We understand downtown San Jose is not as close as preferred, but our hotel is best known for the convenience of the airport. Additionally, we are within walking distance to the Light-rail transit system that whisks you straight downtown which is only minutes away; plus you don’t need to find parking in the downtown area.

Thank you again for staying with us and taking the time to review us. We hope you return for another visit soon!

Reviewed 18 November 2010

Last stayed here in Dec 2009 and was looking forward to the great breakfast buffet with omelets, fresh breads, bagels, lox, etc.
I was very disappointed to find that this has been significantly scaled back to a shadow of what it was. Only scrambled eggs, potatoes, dry cereal, bacon/sausage, fruit/ yogurt. Bread is only a choice of white or wheat slices -not even muffins. Forget about the juice, too. Too understaffed on a Tuesday to get a coffee.
Sushi bar food is expensive and second rate.
Room service food was very good.
Rooms are aging for the price point of this hotel. Management response to other reviews on this site state that all rooms have a flat screen 37" HD TV is not true. Mine has an old 26" std tube TV.
All hotel staff were very helpful and friendly.
in room coffee is good and bed is comfortable.
Internet service works well.
Oddly, housekeeping only supplied one hand towel on multiple days.

Dear SkokieTraveller,

Thank you for staying at our hotel and taking the time to review our hotel. We encourage every guest to write a review, so we can fix any problems our guests’ may have experienced during their visit.

We are sorry to learn your stay with us was disappointing. Based on customer feedback, we made changes to our buffet to make it quick, affordable at $10 versus $18 and provide many of the essential breakfast foods that our guests desire. We have a full breakfast menu at Sprigs, as an alternative to the buffet.

The new flat screen TV installation period is mid November through Dec 7, we should have specified those dates for clarification.

We are pleased to see that our hotel staff was helpful and friendly. We try our best to satisfy every guest’s needs. Again, thank you for taking the time to review us. We hope you will return in the future to see our newly updated rooms.