“Customer No Service”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sacramento
“Customer No Service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2011

We stayed here for a conference. I had read all the reviews was expecting exceptional experience.

I got an average at best.

The staff was friendly at check in. My room was very nice,very large, and I have to say the bathrooms are fabulous. Terrific towels, lovely thick terry robes, deep tubs, great shower. Shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body was were all very nice. Good hair dryer.

Coffee maker in the room, althought the staff did not refill the coffee or tea after my first day.

The bed was average for sleep, the linens were nice.

They do charge for just about everything though. Internet is $13 per day, Parking is $26 per day, If you want to use the business center the charge $7.50 for 10 minutes on the internet . There is a Fedex within walking distance and the charge for internet use if you need it is much lower.

I was disappointed with the service during the conference. The staff never came in to clean the tables, or refill the water pitchers.

After checking out using the on-line option. I noticed I had been over charged on the parking. I emailed Kingsley Kyei, the staff member who had emailed me my portfolio but still have not received a reply. I would guess that this was an automatic email and not a person who is sending it to customers. I called the next day and was told that the accounting department was not available for the day so I left a message. They never returned my call. I called the next day (now 3 days after my stay) and my first try the phone rang over 30 times before I hung up. I called back later and spoke to someone about my overcharge on the parking. She said, "well you did have two people in your room." I explained that we rode in the same car. She asked "are you sure?" Yes, I know who rode with my in my car. I also explained how I had been trying to contact someone and not received any assistance, her reply was "uh,huh". No apoligies, no we strive to give a high level of service. Nothing.

For my next San Jose conference, I will chose to stay elsewhere. If someone from the Fairmont reads this, please send a REAL reply, and not the same automatic one that I have read through all the other reviews when you reply.

1 Thank Jobgirl2009
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Hello,
I have read your letter, and I am personally responding. We do have a template for the letter we respond with on this website, because it has been approved by our management. However, I do personally read every comment on this website, respond, and do customize my response to each individual experience.
We do take our Guests concerns very seriously, and I do apologize that your experience was not up to standard. I would love to resolve your parking issue if it has still not been taken care of , and I do apologize you had to go through so multiple tries to get someone to help you.
We would love to have you stay with us again, and should you like to make a reservation, please feel free to directly contact me so I can personally handle your accommodations, and we will send a gift of welcome to your room at your arrival.
Thank you for your feedback, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Joanne Tan
PR and Marketing Manager
joanne.tan@fairmont.com
408)998-3990

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

Had a great stay at the Fairmont. I ended up with a room that had a sitting area outside that had a gate that opened up to the pool. This was a nice added plus. The rooms are "dated" but also that same "dated" feeling is what makes it feel like a truly nice full service hotel. Sometimes its nice to still have gold faucets, and nice cherry wood dressers. Had a good stay and would come back on business anytime.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Bedfordshire, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2011

The Fairmont in downtown San Jose is a delight to stay in. I visit San Jose 3 to 4 times per year and have to spend a week, and the Fairmont makes that an enjoyable experience. The hotel itself is a beautiful building, exuding that feeling of luxury as you walk into reception. The bedrooms are beautifully maintained and most have good views to the distant mountains or overlooking the park which is at the centre of San Jose.

As I have stayed there a number of times, I have become a member of the Presidents Club which as well as having benefits such as dedicated check-in and shoesine, for me the most important thing is the free loan of a set of golf clubs which is ideal for getting a quick round in without having to bring your own kit 5000 miles.

I also like the fact that the hotel has a swimming pool, which means if you get back after a long day at the office during the summer time, you can go out onto the rooftop pool which still gets sunshine until quite late.

When going to San Jose, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building as it is more convenient than the tower .
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

Not a bad stay but hotel is definitely dated the way people mention in other reviews. There were rips in the chair in my room, and the bedding was surprisingly poor.

My biggest frustrations were the internet not working and the darned room cards! I was there for a national board examination and absolutely needed internet.

I was told the wireless was down and they were working on it. Oddly enough I was given a cable and that didn't help either.

Once I called the actual IT people they said there hadn't been any problems to begin with ...ugh!

The aircon was nice and cool, however, it as noisy. I turned it off and discovered that it was the venting that was noisy.

The room was quiet, until the rude people next door decided to have a morning conversation at 5am ..I wonder if they were hard of hearing...

Most annoying thing was having to go back to the front desk each time to get my room card programmed. This happened from the first try. I had the card in my hand, not against any electronic devices or anything.

One day after I was out, I thought I would be smart and go straight to the desk to have my card fixed...they gave me a new card and guess what...it didn't work either....SUPER annoying to say the least.

The staff in the hotel were pleasant and tried their best to be helpful.

I arrived at 10:30 am and had been up the entire night before. I was beyond exhausted. They checked me in right away and didn't give me any hassle whatsoever.

The staff get 100% from me for this alone. They truly didn't have to do this. I am ever grateful.

On my last day someone at reception took pity on me going up and down the elevator to get my card fixed each time (apparently there is a phone in the hallway where you can call the front desk, however, I never saw it). The reception person gave me a breakfast coupon.

I was in a hurry and unable to partake in much of the breakfast. I had to wait for it to open. Once it did, I saw they had some variety and the food I did try was decent. Again, very nice serving staff.

Room Tip: Internet is free if you join the Fairmont Club. Pricey if you do not.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
First off, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Fairmont San Jose! I know that you always have a choice between hotels and we are pleased that you have chosen ours in the past. Your business truly is important to us. I wanted to personally respond and follow up with you after I received your letter. I would like to assure you that we take all comments and concerns from our guests very seriously and yours is no exception. I can understand your frustration with the keys not working properly, and I am truly sorry for the inconvenience.I would like to inform you we will be remodeling our Main Building rooms very soon, and hopefully you enjoy our new bedding and decor.

If you would be so kind to allow us to redeem your faith in the Fairmont brand, we would like to invite you back. The next time that you would like to make a reservation, kindly contact me directly and it will be my pleasure to personally handle your reservation requirements. At that time we would be delighted to upgrade your accommodations to one of our Suites as well as ensure that an expression of welcome is delivered to your guestroom upon arrival.

When you find the appropriate time, the best ways to contact me are by telephone at (408) 998-3990 or by email at joanne.tan@fairmont.com.

I thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Westport, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2011

The Fairmont San Jose is an enigma. The staff is friendly and very helpful when you can get their attention. The location is great if you can avoid the street people asking you for money in the evening at the outdoor seating areas for the restaurants. But, Faimront needs to sound some money on this property and train the staff in how to anticipate the needs of the guests.

It took me two days and a half dozen phone calls to get the front desk staff to activate the movie system and the long distance calling capability in my room. When I checked in, there were four hangers in my closet. I called housekeeping and their was no answer. Come to think of it, I have called housekeeping four times and they have never answered the phone. So, I called the laundry and the told the woman who answered the phone that I needed some hangers. She replied that if I wanted my car, I needed to call the valet. I explained that I needed hangers to hang clothes in my closet. She again insisted that I call valet for my car. Now, everntually, I did get my hangers and the woman who brought them to me could not have been any nicer.

The Fairmont San Jose is the sort of place where the wallpaper is peeling from the wall in the bathroom, lights are coming out of the wall in the vanity, and lights in my room were burned out when I checked in necessitating another call to housekeeping that went unanswered. Once more, when a man from engineering showed up to change the bulbs, he could not have been nicer, but one would hole that they would check the rooms before they are released for a guest and not after.

The mini bar selection is good but the refrigerator does not cool very well so soft drinks are warm. If you ask, they will bring you a small refrigerator and that is a very good idea if you plan to stay more than one night.

The fitness center is pathetic. The equipment is old and the treadmills all share a single TV on the wall tuned to HNN which is fine unless you plan to run for more than 15 minutes because that is when they begin repeating the headline news stories. Ther are exposed wires on the wall, holes in the wall, and exposed wires on the floor where the car let tale has come up. There are no windows and the p,ace does not have good air flow so when a number of people are working out, the smell of sweat is overwhelming. But, there is a wonderful Bally's Fitness a block away and for $15 you can work out there and you should.

The Grill on the Alley is housed on the first floor and it is awesome. The food is remarkable and the service is outstanding. Eat lunch at the bar with Carl, the day bartender. He is a transplanted Texan and a gentleman who knows how to take care of his customers and greets most of them by name.

The rooms need some help as discussed above. The TV entertainment system has been upgraded, but someone forgot to tell the remote control so it does not always interact with the system in the way that you wish it would. After three or four tries, you can usually get the selection you want and that is a pretty good metaphor for the Fairmont San Jose experience.

There is much to like about the hotel. The Executive Sales Manager, Katie, is outstanding. She has a can do attitude and she never responds with "that is not my job." She got my light bulbs changed. She got me a fan for my room. She even offered to get me a bucket of ice. Katie provides the sort of service normally associated with Ritz Carlton. She will make a wonderful general manager of a hotel one day.

The ting about the Fairmont San Jose is that the people are earnest and friendly and they aim to please, but the property needs some work and attention to bring it up to snuff. The Fairmont is like a buzzer beater shot at the end of a basketball, game that rims out. So close to greatness.....

Room Tip: Rooms in the main building are better than those in the tower and are located near more of the hotel...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
First off, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Fairmont San Jose! I know that you always have a choice between hotels and we are pleased that you have chosen ours in the past. Your business truly is important to us. I wanted to personally respond and follow up with you after I received your letter. I would like to assure you that we take all comments and concerns from our guests very seriously and yours is no exception. I understand that answering our phones is a basic expectation, and I apologize this was not met. In terms of needing updating, I would like to inform you we are going to be remodeling our rooms in our Main Building very soon. Also, I am happy that despite some dissapointments you were very happy with our staff, which is a great compliment.

I thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back!
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

I've always had excellent experiences at this property and my latest stay was no exception. The rooms are more than adequate (I particularly appreciate the high water flow rate in the showers, quality linens, and solid wifi - which supports my VPN) and the location is extremely convenient to downtown San Jose. Finally the Grill on the Alley never disappoints at happy hour with well priced and excellent tasting (if not so healthy) offerings.

Tampa, FL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2011

Stayed here for a National Conference. Check-in was smooth and efficient, even with multiple guests waiting at the desk. Facility is well-suited to handle a large conference and within walking distance of the Convention Center. The Fairmont is divided into two buildings; the main structure is in front, and there's an additional tower in the rear. Various types of rooms are clean and well appointed with great bathrooms. The hotel ambiance is quiet and restful. More than once, I felt that the staff went well out of their way to accommodate my requests and unforeseen needs. For example, they provided free refreshments and secure storage for our luggage when check-out time didn't coincide with our group's departure time; printed flight boarding passes free of charge;offered Presidential Club membership in order to afford us free upgrades, etc. I will keep this chain in mind for my future travels.

Room Tip: Consider whether you will want a city view or a mountain view.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled on business