“Pretty swanky”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Riverview
“Pretty swanky”
Reviewed 6 December 2011

A very nice place to stay while in San Jose. We were in town for a hockey game and were not dissapointed. I have stayed here a few times this year and each experience beats the last. The hotel has two towers - the best rooms are in the tower adjacent to the building (not the main). However, the rooms are fine either way.

This trip Christmas in the park was underway right outside the hotel, a kind of public arcade that runs for a few blocks in San Jose. Definitely a must for families. Everything nearby is an easy walk and it feels safe around the hotel. I will be coming back early next yeasr.

Room Tip: Try the new tower - get a room if you can!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Stephen L

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed 28 November 2011

My husband has spent almost three weeks at this hotel -- I was there for a night and left at 5:30 a.m. to get to the airport.

Big room - perfect for one -- fine for two.

Nice view of San Jose ( however, that isn't that great to look at anyway)

Beautiful bathroom with good amenities. Separate area for makeup and coffee

Quiet.

All worked.

Room Tip: One bit of advice -- if you are leaving in the early morning --make sure you stay in the main buildi...
1 Thank Susie20817
Sacramento, CA
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This was my second stay at the Fairmont and once again it was great. The hotel is perfectly located in downtown San Jose, close to a variety of restaurants, bars, and attractions for the entire family. Hotel staff was friendly and everything from check-in to check-out was smooth. The hotel food is delicious and if you like a hotel bar with great atmosphere, the Fairmont's central bar is fabulous (though service can be slow at times). I would definitely recommend this hotel to both families and business travelers.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 25 November 2011

First of all, I'd like to point out that this is the 2nd Fairmont I've stayed in. The first one was in Singapore. I must say that the Singapore one was much more superior to this one, but.... let's forget that for now.

Secondly, I wrote this review as a new visitor to San Jose (and US, in general).

The hotel was located at what appeared to be San Jose's Central Business District, with easy access to the major freeways and highways. I lost track of all the different freeways and highways within 5-min drive from the hotel. There was US-101 (always packed at peak hours, AVOID AT ALL COST!), CA-87 (my favourite to drive from San Jose to Sunnyvale or Palo Alto during peak hours). Then there was... I-280, I think. Or was it I-680? I can't remember. Whatever it was that eventually connects to I-5 to go to San Diego.

The room I stayed in was a bigger room with separate lounge, since I was traveling with my family. It was HUGE. Being a tea-drinker rather than coffee, I also appreciated the fact that I could get a kettle to boil water in addition to the usual coffee maker/dripper.

There were quite a few restaurants and eateries within 15-min walk from the hotel (my favourite being Hanuman Thai restaurant, and Johnny Rockets diner), as well as a Safeway supermarket. Oh, and there's a 12-screen cinema virtually across the street.

The biggest downside of this hotel, for me anyway, is the sport and health facilities. The gym was poorly equipped, and the pool was outdoor. The other thing was, the first two days of my stay there (or could be three?), the elevators took an awful long time resulting in long queues at the lobby.

Room Tip: Half price parking for hybrid cars ($13 rather than the usual $26).
1 Thank Michael C
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 November 2011

As UK visitors when we travel in the States we stay extensively at Fairmont Hotels. This one fell below the usual standard. We were greeted on arrival in a very lukewarm way and on departure, despite requests for an itemised bill we were continually delivered a "mantra" that it was all "done". With some persistence we eventually received an itemised bill only to find that we had been overcharged $73. That said, we had a wonderful suite, had breakfast served in our room and room service was exemplary. In addition, after our visit we were sent a guest questionnaire. We expressed our concerns. There was an immediate response which was extremely impressive and we have no doubt that this Fairmont will correct the rather disappointing experience we had. On a travel note, as far as overseas visitors are concerned, this is a hotel which is mainly addressed to the Silicon Valley market. It is superbly located but it is not worth venturing far from the hotel at night. There is however a rather interesting restaurant nearby called Gordon Bierreich Brewery Restaurant. Please see our review of it. Fairmonts always seek to deliver. However, we have read a number of other reviews on Trip Advisor which would seem to indicate that the reception/guest experience needs to be improved.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IANandARI
California
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I recently stayed at this hotel due to a hosted conference. While I certainly understand the quality of the hotel and why the cost was high (even though a negotiated conference rate), the amenities were outrangeously overpriced! First off, parking was $26 bucks aday and in this area there is little alternative due to location. Internet connection is also a premium. For example, I was advised by staff there was a WIFI connection in the lounge area and to report to the front desk for a code. I needed to forward a business email which would take approximately 5 minutes and then I would be done. I was "informed" by the desk that I was "misinformed" and no such thing existed other than to purchase the internet connection for a minimum of 24hours.

As a solution, I walked out the side door, across the trolley tracks to the local starbucks where I purchased a drink and used their FREE connection to my hearts content! Later I was met by a friend from a local agency who inquired as to parking a specially equiped vehicle utilized by a State agency task force. The attendant allowed her to park the vehicle herself at no charge for a couple of hours while we conducted an operation related to official work business. When we returned for the vehicle, now mind you we were driving my vehicle which I was paying the overinflated parking price for so it wasn't in the garage, another attendant tried to strong arm her for parking fees stating she needed to provide the name of the individual and a signed receipt from the person who allowed her to park. After much wasted time arguing over why she had been allowed to self-park if this were a valet situation, I demanded a manager who dismissed the charge with reluctance. This left a negative impression of the garage service.

Now on to the rooms - They are fantastic! The beds are extremely comfortable with beautifully appointed linens. The sleep alone was worth the (3) hours of heavy traffic I drove to get there. The bathroom is huge. There is an independant vanity and one of the few hotels I have stayed in that has a separate tub and shower. The setup was exquisite.

The only negative was the shower head. This thing was circa 19XX who no adjustment to regulate the flow of water. Actually it had a knob that spun around with no regulation.The shower head spewed water at such a high volume it was downright uncomfortable. The waste of water truly could have serviced a small thrid world country! I was so shocked at the water waste I proceeded to take an independant poll of other conference goers and all said the very same thing so it wasn't just my room. This hotel posts go green leaflets everywhere from the bathroom on reuse of towels to environmental/ecological materials at the guest checkin yet still uses these unregulated high flow shower heads. It was the most wasteful thing I have encountered at a hotel with regard to water usage.

I was provided lunch during my conference which was quite good. The following day a "box lunch" was offered at a optional cost of $20.00 which was high to me for getting a sandwich and a bag of chips. Stepping out for lunch could be had on the go for far less since this hotel is in close proximity to other businesses.

Overall I rate this hotel high based on comfort and good service. However the water issue has to be corrected.

3 Thank LeeLee33
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, 30 November 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

We do take our Guests concerns very seriously, I do appreciate you mentioning the shower head being a waste of water. I will bring this to the attention of our Management, as we do strive to be a green company in as many ways as possible. I am very happy to hear you enjoyed the comfort and service at our hotel. Thank you for your feedback, and if you like you may contact me directly in the future.
My email address is joanne.tan@fairmont.com and my direct line is 408-998-3990.
Thank you for your feedback, and I hope to hear from you soon.
Sacramento
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We stayed here for a conference. I had read all the reviews was expecting exceptional experience.

I got an average at best.

The staff was friendly at check in. My room was very nice,very large, and I have to say the bathrooms are fabulous. Terrific towels, lovely thick terry robes, deep tubs, great shower. Shampoo, conditioner, lotion and body was were all very nice. Good hair dryer.

Coffee maker in the room, althought the staff did not refill the coffee or tea after my first day.

The bed was average for sleep, the linens were nice.

They do charge for just about everything though. Internet is $13 per day, Parking is $26 per day, If you want to use the business center the charge $7.50 for 10 minutes on the internet . There is a Fedex within walking distance and the charge for internet use if you need it is much lower.

I was disappointed with the service during the conference. The staff never came in to clean the tables, or refill the water pitchers.

After checking out using the on-line option. I noticed I had been over charged on the parking. I emailed Kingsley Kyei, the staff member who had emailed me my portfolio but still have not received a reply. I would guess that this was an automatic email and not a person who is sending it to customers. I called the next day and was told that the accounting department was not available for the day so I left a message. They never returned my call. I called the next day (now 3 days after my stay) and my first try the phone rang over 30 times before I hung up. I called back later and spoke to someone about my overcharge on the parking. She said, "well you did have two people in your room." I explained that we rode in the same car. She asked "are you sure?" Yes, I know who rode with my in my car. I also explained how I had been trying to contact someone and not received any assistance, her reply was "uh,huh". No apoligies, no we strive to give a high level of service. Nothing.

For my next San Jose conference, I will chose to stay elsewhere. If someone from the Fairmont reads this, please send a REAL reply, and not the same automatic one that I have read through all the other reviews when you reply.

1 Thank Jobgirl2009
FairmontSanJose, Public Relations Manager at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Hello,
I have read your letter, and I am personally responding. We do have a template for the letter we respond with on this website, because it has been approved by our management. However, I do personally read every comment on this website, respond, and do customize my response to each individual experience.
We do take our Guests concerns very seriously, and I do apologize that your experience was not up to standard. I would love to resolve your parking issue if it has still not been taken care of , and I do apologize you had to go through so multiple tries to get someone to help you.
We would love to have you stay with us again, and should you like to make a reservation, please feel free to directly contact me so I can personally handle your accommodations, and we will send a gift of welcome to your room at your arrival.
Thank you for your feedback, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Joanne Tan