“Classic and Elegant”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Miami, FL, United States
“Classic and Elegant”
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This classic hotel is located in the heart of downtown, a block away from the San Jose convention center. There are many restaurants, stores, and eateries in walking distance. Within the hotel they have a gorgeous bar and lounge which featured a live band on Friday night. The Grill on the Alley is a restaurant within the hotel. They also have a day spa in the hotel - Tova Day Spa (I did not get a chance to enjoy any of the services) and a FedEx office location, which was very convenient. McCormick & Schmidt's is across the alley and I had dinner there as well as walked a few blocks away and enjoyed dinner and cocktails at Nemea Greek Tavern.

I stayed a few nights for a conference. The hotel is gorgeous and elegant. The room was very comfortable and spacious. The service was great. I had no problems checking in or out and dealing with valet was a breeze even though the hotel was quite busy.

The only downside (which is a general issue for me) is that they do not offer free Wi-Fi. I think all hotels, especially hotels in this price range should offer free Wi-Fi and I should not have to pay $15-20 a day for it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Hello,
We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your experience staying with us during your conference in San Jose, and can't wait to welcome you back. For your future stay, if you register for the complimentary Fairmont President's Club, you will receive free Wi-Fi Internet in your guest room, as well as other perks.
We thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
marshall.jones@fairmont.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Vermont
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

My third time at the Fairmont. The staff is very professional across the board. They are responsive and really want to make the experience a good one for guests. Concierge is knowledgeable about local options and willing to help with real advice as opposed to only pointing you in the direction of the eateries across the street. A room in the adjoining tower is quieter but also you have to cross the street or use the airbridge to get there. Try to stay in the main building.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Philadelphia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I was staying at this hotel for a conference and I stayed 4 nights. The rooms are clean, the bed is so comfortable and the surrounding areas (the other restaurants, bar, lobby area, etc) were also very comfy and accommodating. I'm not too happy that there is no shuttle from the airport and you have to pay for WiFi. I think that's pretty tacky for such a nice hotel. But everything was very comfortable. The housekeepers that made up my room went the extra mile to sort my shoes, fold my clothes and even arranged my makeup on the bathroom counter so it looked nice and tidy. I thought that was a very nice touch and made my stay even more pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Hello,
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience staying with us during your conference in San Jose, and can't wait to welcome you back. For future your stay, if you sign up for the complimentary Fairmont President's Club, you will receive free Wi-Fi Internet in your guest room, as well as other perks.
We thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Fairmont is a nice hotel without the service to match. This was the 3rd or 4th time I've stayed here and it seems like I'm always waiting for something. The service in the lobby bar kept me waiting, I stood in line to check in and then check out, I stood in line waiting for the valet to get my car, etc. Simply put, the quality of service doesn't match the price paid.

Why is that the more you pay for a hotel room, the less you get? Why do I have to pay for a cup of coffee or internet access when they're free at most hotels?

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is reviews like these that allow us to find opportunities for improvement and it seems here we have missed the mark. I would like to discuss your experience in further detail. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.
San Jose, California
Reviewed 17 October 2013

We booked the Fairmont for a family getaway. We had a fabulous weekend at the Fairmont for a terrific rate. We stayed in the South Tower in a two bedroom suite and had a fantastic view of downtown. The beds were super comfortable , the bathrooms were well appointed and the rooms were quite spacious. The pool area is very nice with palm trees and a bar area. It feels like an oasis in San Jose! I highly recommend a trip to this exquisite hotel!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Hello,
Thank you for your kind words. We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience staying with us during your staycation and we can't wait to welcome you back.
We appreciate you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I'm staying here for a few days. Great smell in the lobby, seamless check-in, helpful bellmen, great city views. For hotel of this class, you would expect bathrobes, shampoos, etc. And while the bathroom was a bit dated, the shower and towels were fine. What was really missing in a dimly lit bathroom is a makeup mirror. There was no attached nor detached makeup/shaving mirror. When I called housekeeping for one, they were very responsive and polite, but brought me one with a broken hinge which is very difficult to use. Small things like this are easily fixed but a hassle for customers. Maybe the hotel will find a mirror for me this week that is not broken?

Room Tip: High floors have a beautiful mountain view.
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is reviews like these that allow us to find opportunities for improvement and it seems here we have missed the mark. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused during your stay with us. I would like to discuss your experience in further detail. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Beautiful lobby and common areas, five minute walk from convention center. Rooms are comfortable, but a little worn.

Parking is $26/night for regular cars; $13/night for hybrids. However, valet pointed out free street parking near the 82 [about four blocks away] and on Fourth Street.

Free in room WIFI if you join their President's Club