“Beautiful hotel for a price”
Review of Fairmont San Jose

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Massachusetts
“Beautiful hotel for a price”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

If you're looking to spend big bucks on your San Jose stay, chose the Fairmont. It's a gorgeous, classic hotel, but everything is a price. Understandably, it's a busy city hotel in Silicon Valley and, presumably, many businesspeople staying here have the money to spend on such a place, but beware of the numerous fees. I also felt that, for the price tag, this hotel should have had more of the conveniences modern hotel chains serve as part of their namesake.

PROS:
The main lobby is beautiful; speedy valet; the workout facility was one of the largest, well-equipped and nicest at any hotel I've visited; exercise classes available; restaurants and bars in the lobby area (nice ones); large, spacious rooms; one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've slept in (super fluffy pillows and comforter!); high end toiletries in the bathroom; LOCATION is excellent (close to the HP Pavilion, Adobe, University, major company buildings, walking distance to at least a hundred cafes, restaurants, bars, clubs, grocery store, etc.); FedEx and a rental car agency in the building; a separate vanity area outside of the bathroom with an elegant mirror, bench and great lighting; the hotel hallways are well-lit and bright; incredibly speedy elevators; and, very clean rooms.

CONS:
Parking is valet and $26 a night (so add in tip); an average drink at the hotel bar is $10; the WiFi is $15-20 a day; there is no microwave or fridge available - just a stocked mini-fridge with food/drinks for an exorbitant fee (there is also an "un-stocking fee" if you just want to use the fridge and not purchase anything in it); no shuttle service; the bathroom, although beautiful, has a tiny shower (it felt like a gym locker room shower and there was no place to put shower products except in a tiny 3x3 hole or on the floor) and a bathtub with no shower head; and, there is no laundry at the hotel (except for laundry service, which is, of course, very expensive).

Room Tip: Ask for floor three - it's the same floor as the exercise room and there are steps from the gym...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Good Morning,
First, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at The Fairmont San Jose. I know that you always have a choice between hotels and we are pleased that you have chosen ours. Your business truly is important to us.
Furthermore, we thank you for your kind words and we apologize for any inconvenient experience during your stay. Your review allows us to find opportunities for improvement on our property.
marshall.jones@fairmont.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

My "standard" room proved to be large, unconventionally laid out, and beautifully appointed. There was a separate bathtub and shower stall, a new flat panel HDTV, phone in the bathroom, etc. The only downside was a $15 daily charge for wifi access. That's waived for "Presidents' Club" members. Front desk service was very friendly and helpful too.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Monterey, California
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We stayed for one night at the Fairmont, in the 'annex' over the road from the main building. The room was spacious, with comfortable beds and nice linens, and the bathroom was wonderful, with high end toiletries and lots of space. But there were several small details that really detracted from our stay. Our room looked out over a park area, where a community party of some sort started at about midnight. The noise was deafening, even with windows and drapes closed, and it went on for a couple of hours. When we called reception to ask them about it, they just said, oh it should be over by 2am at the latest. I realize the exterior noise was beyond their control, but no one offered for us to change rooms, and if the community puts on loud events of that kind, why would a hotel put guests in rooms directly over the party location. Then the alarm by the bed went off at 6am. I didn't think to check the alarm wasn't set, because we use our smartphone alarms, but housekeeping should have made sure it was off. So we got about four hours sleep that night. And the shower, though roomy and with lots of hot water, didn't drain. I had to turn off the shower as the water in the tray was about to run over the top and flood the bathroom floor. A hotel of the Fairmont's standard shouldn't really have these issues.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms overlooking the park.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is reviews like these that allow us to find opportunities for improvement and it seems here we have missed the mark. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused during your stay with us. I would like to discuss your experience in further detail. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.
Miami, FL, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2013

This classic hotel is located in the heart of downtown, a block away from the San Jose convention center. There are many restaurants, stores, and eateries in walking distance. Within the hotel they have a gorgeous bar and lounge which featured a live band on Friday night. The Grill on the Alley is a restaurant within the hotel. They also have a day spa in the hotel - Tova Day Spa (I did not get a chance to enjoy any of the services) and a FedEx office location, which was very convenient. McCormick & Schmidt's is across the alley and I had dinner there as well as walked a few blocks away and enjoyed dinner and cocktails at Nemea Greek Tavern.

I stayed a few nights for a conference. The hotel is gorgeous and elegant. The room was very comfortable and spacious. The service was great. I had no problems checking in or out and dealing with valet was a breeze even though the hotel was quite busy.

The only downside (which is a general issue for me) is that they do not offer free Wi-Fi. I think all hotels, especially hotels in this price range should offer free Wi-Fi and I should not have to pay $15-20 a day for it.

Hello,
We are very happy to hear you enjoyed your experience staying with us during your conference in San Jose, and can't wait to welcome you back. For your future stay, if you register for the complimentary Fairmont President's Club, you will receive free Wi-Fi Internet in your guest room, as well as other perks.
We thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
Vermont
Reviewed 22 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

My third time at the Fairmont. The staff is very professional across the board. They are responsive and really want to make the experience a good one for guests. Concierge is knowledgeable about local options and willing to help with real advice as opposed to only pointing you in the direction of the eateries across the street. A room in the adjoining tower is quieter but also you have to cross the street or use the airbridge to get there. Try to stay in the main building.

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Philadelphia
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I was staying at this hotel for a conference and I stayed 4 nights. The rooms are clean, the bed is so comfortable and the surrounding areas (the other restaurants, bar, lobby area, etc) were also very comfy and accommodating. I'm not too happy that there is no shuttle from the airport and you have to pay for WiFi. I think that's pretty tacky for such a nice hotel. But everything was very comfortable. The housekeepers that made up my room went the extra mile to sort my shoes, fold my clothes and even arranged my makeup on the bathroom counter so it looked nice and tidy. I thought that was a very nice touch and made my stay even more pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Hello,
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your experience staying with us during your conference in San Jose, and can't wait to welcome you back. For future your stay, if you sign up for the complimentary Fairmont President's Club, you will receive free Wi-Fi Internet in your guest room, as well as other perks.
We thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor.
Commerce Township, Michigan
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Fairmont is a nice hotel without the service to match. This was the 3rd or 4th time I've stayed here and it seems like I'm always waiting for something. The service in the lobby bar kept me waiting, I stood in line to check in and then check out, I stood in line waiting for the valet to get my car, etc. Simply put, the quality of service doesn't match the price paid.

Why is that the more you pay for a hotel room, the less you get? Why do I have to pay for a cup of coffee or internet access when they're free at most hotels?

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. It is reviews like these that allow us to find opportunities for improvement and it seems here we have missed the mark. I would like to discuss your experience in further detail. Please reach out to me at your earliest convenience.