“great conference stay”

Ranked #6 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“great conference stay”
Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the fairmont for several days to join a conference. The room was very comfortable. The conference was also in the fairmont. The service and the facilities for the conference were good. The fairmont is nice location to stay for business purpose. In the neighbourhood, there are also nice restaurants.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hermosa Beach, California
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Thankful to have this hotel in close proximity to my company. Frequent it often and never have any issues - besides the fact that they are often at capacity and I cannot get a room last minute. Because of this, I usually have my secretary check availability at the hotel when I first start planning an overnight trip to the area - that's got to say something about the hotel.
The hotel is perfectly situated in downtown San Jose, close to many bars and restaurants.

Hotel caters nicely to the business crowd and has a lively bar scene, complete with piano players, in the grand lobby during the week. Nice atmosphere to end your evening after a long day. If you prefer quiet, you can just jump into the elevator and head up to your nicely appointed rooms with comfortable beds. There are two different parts to the hotel: the main building/tower where you check in and where all the amenities are, and the newer, more updated tower. It's all personal preference when it comes to this. I like the nicer rooms, but I also like being close to the gym, restaurant, lobby, etc.

The restaurant that is connected to (or in) the hotel - the Grill on the Alley (part of the Daily Grill chain) - is a very good steakhouse. They have a great happy hour from 4-7. The room service at the hotel is a little pricey.

They just updated the gym - thankfully!, and it's now a pretty good one.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
FairmontSanJose, Director of Sales at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Hello,
We appreciate you for taking the time to write an in-depth review on Tripadvisor and recommending our property to other business travelers. Our Lobby Lounge will soon offer Happy Hour as well and we are looking forward to having you as our guest again in the near future.
Clemmons, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I was here for several days for a conference and found everything to be excellent. The room was very comfortable with great views from the 11th floor. Those elevators were fast and plentiful and could handle a crowd. Even with so many people, it was never crowded and the rooms were a peaceful, quiet place to relax.
Reception folks were pleasant and helpful at checking, when I locked myself out of my room, and when my roommate and I needed some extra help dividing our bill.
Very good location for variety of meal locations.
Be careful of Super shuttle service (not affiliated with hotel) for transportation to and from airport. It worked perfectly for me both ways but some people were having problems.

Room Tip: We had a corner room and could see all over!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hello,
Thank you for staying with us during your conference and give us the opportunity to demonstrate our distinctive Fairmont Service. We are truly glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience during your stay. Thanks you again for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.
Dunbar, West Virginia
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

The Fairmont in San Jose is a wonderful place to hold a conference. Our association was well served by the staff of this hotel. From the General Manager and throughout all the staff, we were assisted with great service and a friendly, wonderful staff.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Hello,
Thank you very much for your kind words and noticing our service. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience staying with us during your conference in the San Jose and we can't wait to welcome you back.
We also appreciate you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.
Yuba City, California
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed our one night stay very much. We got a great rate directly from hotel. I knew about the parking which I expected. Check-in was easy and people were classy and very friendly. Room on the 8th floor. Bed was great and room service outstanding. Only negatives were the shower, drippy tub, and phone. Shower head was stripped so it was aiming straight down. Tub had a slow drip, no big deal for us but I'm sure they were glad to hear about it. Phone didn't work. These issues did not dampen our stay but I know that Fairmont wants to be first class. If we return to San Jose, The Fairmont will be high on the list.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Hello,
Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor. It is reviews like these that allow us to find opportunities for improvement and it seems here we have missed the mark. We would like to discuss your experience in further detail. Please reach out to our Director of Operations, Lisa Ares, at your earliest convenience. You can directly contact her at Lisa.Ares@fairmont.com . We are looking forward to improve our service through your recommendations.
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 2 February 2014

Protip - sign up for the Fairmont Presidents Club and get complimentary internet!

I stayed here for a conference. The conference facilities at this hotel are fantastic. Good large and small rooms, nice lighting, plenty of windows to allow natural light.

There was a problem with the computer when I was checking in, so the nice person at the desk gave me a large ADA room (I'm assuming they didn't need the ADA room for someone who would actually need it). It was ginormous and lovely. The bed was very comfortable. There was ample clothes storage, including lighting and shelving in the closet where I was able to hang my clothes. The bathroom was really nice. The bath products were a bit strong for my taste (rose-scented) but I didn't argue, considering the towels were nice and fluffy and the bathrobes were comfortable (yeah, bathrobes).

The television had a decent selection of channels. The in-room coffee was fine.

Noise level in the adjoining room - I could hear people talking through the door, but they weren't very loud. If there were a party going on, it would probably be annoying. But I couldn't hear anything from the other room next to me (not adjoining with a door).

I have an aversion to expensive hotel breakfasts, but luckily this hotel is right downtown, with easy access to everything: Peet's, Philz, a local Safeway, Walgreens, Starbucks. Plus decent restaurants and bars for other meals. I wish I'd had time to visit the tech museum and local art museum or the movie theatre or the Rep! Also all close by.

A Philz tip: download the OrderAhead app and use it to order your Philz so it's ready and paid for when you walk over to get it.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Hello,
Thank you for your wonderful review and being a great advocate four our Fairmont President's Club! We also appreciate you for recommending other travelers to try all the fun attractions around downtown San Jose. We can't wait to welcome you back! See you soon!
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 1 February 2014

This is probably the best and most prestigious hotels in San Jose. It is in a perfect location downtown close to everything. It is even walking distance to the SAP Center. Bars and restaurants are very close by as well. The accomodations and amenities exude luxury, from the grand lobby to the small things such as Molton Brown soaps and shampoos. The valet staff is courteous and friendly. The bar has piano players during the week and it is a great atmosphere for a drink. The rooms are uniformly top notch. The room service is a bit costly but the food is excellent. This location is also good for hosting events in their various ballrooms. Be sure to stay in the luxury tower. It is not the main tower and costs a bit more but you will be happy you upgraded. I have stayed in this hotel on and off for a year and a half. If you stay in San Jose, stay at the Fairmont, you wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: Make sure to upgrade to a room in the luxury tower.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Hello,
Thank you so much for your kind words and for noticing the amenities that we offer on our property. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience staying with us during your business trip and we can't wait to welcome you back.
We appreciate you for sharing your experience with everyone on TripAdvisor.