“Oldie but a Goodie”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Escalon
“Oldie but a Goodie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I love the ambience of the hotel. But it is a little old but love it anyway. Room smelled a little musty..
Loved the pool area. I Loved the lounge. Will come back to this hotel. I was on the 9th floor.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Fairmont Hotels & Resorts

FairmontSanJose, Customer Service Representative at Fairmont San Jose, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear Gwyneth,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay so much. Thank you for the review!

Customer Service Representative

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Worldwide
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

I have to say I felt bad writing this review---I stay in lots of hotels all over the world and like Fairmont’s a lot. From Seattle to Hawaii it’s always been a great experience with well run, upscale and clean properties.

Not so with this property---not even close. It was well priced and at first it looked great and then little by little, it fell apart.

Upon arriving at our floor, the first thing we noticed was the hallways were in disarray. Spilled food, un-vacuumed, trash in the halls, room service dishes outside many doors, one room apparently had a party and stacked a half-dozen empty pizza boxes outside their door along with a full bin of trash. I was surprised as it was early afternoon and you would think they would have picked this up. After a few hours it still was not cleaned so I asked the front desk to please clean the hall so I would not have to look at it.

The room was nice but there was fecal matter (crap) on the toilet seat from the previous guest, thick dust in random areas and mildew in the shower---the housekeeping was lousy. Even the elevators were amiss---they had notices posted about upcoming events—from two weeks previous. In addition there was no offer of assist from the bell desk with our baggage when we arrived.

The next morning I was again greeted by trash in the halls---this time burgers and wrappers in the halls….and this is a Fairmont keep in mind. When I tried to check out and say something it was impossible….the line was massive and not enough help at the front desk.

Most of the above issues are no big deals for a different class of hotel but this is a high-end property. I’ll continue to support Fairmount’s but not this one…it’s apparent they have serious housekeeping issues and insufficient or improperly trained management to spot-check common areas and rooms for cleanliness. This is a common soft spot for hotels in business areas on weekends.

An important note: the location is NOT a family friendly neighborhood. The area around the hotel looks great but is teeming with homeless people and some of them semi-aggressive. More than once I was pounced on just feet from the hotel door by homeless. Later on one of them stood in the plaza in front of the hotel sdcreaming his brains out for over two hours---it woke up my spouse it was so loud.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Elvis,

Our apologies for the delayed response. Thank you for your feedback. Please also accept our apologies for the experience you had recently. I will share your review with management to address these issues. Please direct message us at your earliest convenience if you would like to discuss your stay in greater detail.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

Yes it's very posh and swank but you will pay for every amenity. WiFi? Yes, but $14 a night. The hotel couldn't even kick in free WiFi? Parking? A whopping $26 a night. Don't even get me started on the $26 breakfast.

I'm sure some people love the hallway between the bed and the bathroom or that the toilet has its' own little alcove. But for all it's high-end glory, you won't even get a comforter on the bed. It's two sheets with a really thin blanket between.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank westernkids
Dear Valued Guest,

Our apologies for the delayed response and for the experience you had recently. Fairmont San Jose does offer free Wi-Fi if you sign up for the Fairmont Presiden'ts Club, our free reward program. We do offer valet parking if you choose to use it, as well as several self-parking lots surrounding the hotel.

Please accept our apologies if this was never communicated to you.I will share your review with management to address these issues. Thank you for your feedback.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

We stayed at the fairmont for 4 nights back in February. The room was incredibly spacious and clean. We went to the gym, which was well equipped. Although we didn't spend time at the bar, it is really beautiful and happening. The hotel is in a great area, close to restaurants and sight seeing. We went to the grocery store nearby to grab breakfast and snacks, and that was convenient. The only reason I'm not giving the fairmont 5 stars is that the parking is expensive at $26/night. We learned about more affordable parking from a post on a blog: http://www.airlinehotelcreditcards.com/hate-paying-excessive-hotel-parking-fees-theres-an-app-for-that-2014-02-24
Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend the hotel to others.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed so much about your stay. Thank you for the review!

Milpitas, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014

Love the restaurant on the property, but unfortunately I was not impressed with anything else. I was very dissapointed with my experience, as this hotel has been around for years, and many colleuges, freinds and locals have ravved about the Fairmont. Everyone knows I am a hotel junkie, its the ultimate escape for me, even when local. I love a good "stay-cation". However, I was not impressed by the Fairmont. Yes, the property is nice, but the service is not up to par for a 4 star hotel. I hate to say this, but the employees seem to be a bit incompetent. You must have loads of patience when speaking to them.

The process of reserving a room is cumbersome and annoying, I was overcharged several times for services that I'd prepaid for, getting ahold of the front desk is terribly difficult, and I think $26 a night to park is a bit ridiculous. I wont be returning for a hotel stay.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank SadeJL
Dear Sade,

Our apologies for the delayed response. Thank you for your feedback. Please also accept our apologies for the experience you had recently. I will share your review with management to address these issues to improve our guest's experience.

David H
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

Stay here the second time and room rate is never cheap here but location is good as I can walk to office. The room is big and clean and gym and pool are both good. The bar had live music at night but the drinks and food there are avg. the staff is ok friendly and surrounding area is not bad just not much to do at night.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Bill,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed everything about your stay. Thank you for the review!

Tokyo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

A good location, secured, quiet and relaxed hotel. Easy access to restaurants and bars. Really enjoyed going to the bakery next door, very friendly and good croissant, almost every day. Enjoyed working out in the morning as well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business