“Consistently Superior”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Santa Rosa, CA
“Consistently Superior”
Reviewed 25 September 2010

We moved our daughter onto campus housing at nearby Santa Clara University and Fairmont has a special Santa Clara Rate that makes this trip even better. We have done this each year. We stayed in 1487 in the Tower. We enjoyed drinks in the bar area and had a dinner at The Grill. All the services and personnel were friendly and competent. This is the only place we stay in the area.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MangoChetney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
oregon
Reviewed 21 September 2010

The room was available at noon for an early check in. It was on the 18th floor, quiet, and had a great view. The bed and linens were perfect. Enjoyed swimming in the heated outdoor pool. The Grill and The Fountain service and food was wonderful. The Grill waitress recomended an excellent wine and entree. The hotel also had discounts available for the resturants and the Spa. The Spa was fully booked, but the Spa staff was able to recomend several excellent products. It is in a central location. Overall I highly recomend the San Jose Fairmont.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
California
Reviewed 29 August 2010

A friend and I were there on a very busy weekend, during the Jazz Festival. Despite the fact that there were lots of people, we never felt crowded or waited too long for anything. Everyone on the staff was helpful and friendly and greeted us with a smile. We enjoyed live music in the lobby bar on Thursday night while having small bites and cocktails. They have over 500 martinis on their bar list, which made us very happy! The pool on the 4th floor deck was clean, comfortable and it was great to lay out and watch the airplanes fly over.

The room was large, clean and had a nice view of the foothills. The bathroom was good sized with a separate vanity counter outside, which is great for two girls getting ready to go out. Big, plush robes were provided, as were the softest, fluffiest bath towels I've ever used. The beds and pillows were extremely comfortable. I always travel with my own pillow because I usually find hotel pillows unbearable. I didn't need it here.

I booked this room on Priceline and got an amazing deal. After I booked the room, from other reviewer's suggestions, I went to the Fairmont website and joined the president's club. This free membership got us compimentary pool/gym access, a club member check-in line, free wifi and some other perks. Since I did not book directly through the hotel, I did call them to make sure it was noted on my reservation that I was a club member. They were happy to do that and didn't give me any kind of attitude about the fact that I booked the cheap-o way.

The reasons I didn't give this a 5 star rating: No free wifi (unless you're a club member). In this day and age, I have a problem with any hotel charging for this service, especially high-end hotels. Even Best Western provides free wifi. And, though I know it is the going rate for the area, if I had paid full price for the room, I don't think I should have to pay $26/day for parking.

I loved this hotel and am going to think of another reason to go to San Jose just so I can stay there again.

Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank brunetteblonde
Tampa, FL
Reviewed 6 August 2010

The hotel is business elegant with nice clean rooms, an impressive lobby and good location. The only issue could be parking.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
München, Deutschland
Reviewed 6 August 2010

A beautiful hotel with seemingly endless space. Having stayed in so many hotels in cities like London where the bathroom tends to be the size of your average cupboard, I was amazed at the endless space throughout the hotel, both in the rooms and throughout the rest of the facilities. Some great dining options from the Coffee Cart first thing in the morning to the Grill, a wonderful steakhouse that you don’t even have to leave the building for. And the staff were excellent too – a genuine friendliness rather than the robotic customer service you can get elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
NY NY
Reviewed 19 July 2010

This is a wonderful hotel. The rooms are big and comfortable, well kept, and they seem to offer every amenity. I've stayed here before and it is always my first choice when I travel to San Jose

However, I have to say that on this trip I was a little disappointed. There was nothing major. Instead, there were a lot of small little details that made me wonder if things were slipping overall:
- There was a ten-inch tear in the window drape
- The headboard (which is secured to the wall, and not the bed) wasn't securely fastened, so everytime you moved on the bed, the headboard would knock against the wall.
- There was no bottle of shampoo in the bathroom, but one did appear the next day
- One of the two light-bulb sockets in the floor lamp was not secured, and just kind of hanging by a wire
- There's no hook adjacent to the stall-shower to hang a robe or a towel. You either have to throw it over the edge of the shower, or leave it elsewhere in the bathroom in not-so-easy-reach for when you get out of the shower.
- The thermostat was poorly calibrated. When it was set to 67-degrees it was blowing hot-air. I reported this twice to the front desk, and it was not repaired. I ended-up having to set the thermostated for 62 just to make sure the air-conditioner stayed on, and the heat didn't start blowing (I was there in July).

Even with the above, I'm a big fan of the Fairmont and expect to use it again on my next trip to the area.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank Brian11375
US-based
Reviewed 9 July 2010

Great rooms, great beds, great amenities, great location, great restaurants nearby.

Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple