“Better than avg, not as bad as what other reviewers say...”
Review of Fairmont San Jose

Fairmont San Jose
Ranked #8 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 October 2010

stayed there for a wedding. huge hotel, two buildings connected by a skyway or short walk outside. i agree that service is poor. asked for some toiletries when i arrived because they only left one bar of soap for the sink and none for shower. it never came, didn't bother to call again. no hairdryer. safe in room also broken. mini bar still had sign saying that it had been fixed the week prior. room was better than avg but could tell that it was getting old. bed was very comfortable. price for weekend stay pretty cheap <200$ for a suite so worth it in the end, even w/ inconveniences. would think about staying at four seasons in the future.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fairmont San Jose

Reviewed 12 October 2010

Our family stayed in connecting rooms 1088-1090 (South Tower) for three nights in October 2010. We were on a college scouting trip and visited Stanford and Santa Clara University. I had originally tried to stay in a hotel closer to Stanford, but because of a football game there that weekend, everything was booked. Because of San Jose's closeness to both schools, this was a decent alternative. First time we've stayed at this Fairmont property. It wasn't really close to the Cal Train station, but there is a free shuttle bus (Monday-through-Friday) and plenty of cabs. There are plenty of restaurants nearby and the pool area at the Fairmont is pretty nice....be aware that you are extremely close to the flight path inbound to the San Jose airport and you get lots of planes landing pretty much overhead. There's a lot to like about the Fairmont San Jose, but I had a number of issues with housekeeping. When we checked in, we noticed that in one of our rooms (the one with two queens) that only one of them had a bedspread/comforter. I called housekeeping that evening but no one ever came to bring a bedspread. I reported it to the front desk the next day and eventually a housekeeping staff member brought up a blanket, not a bedspread. Over the three days we stayed in our rooms, the bedspread was never delivered. Why would housekeeping make up one bed with a bedspread and one without? Also, there were two robes in the room my wife and I shared, but only one robe in the connecting room with the two queens. It took two calls to housekeeping and another visit to the front desk to get a second robe delivered. I was told by two Fairmont front desk workers that they usually only stock their rooms with ONE robe and that if people want more, it's no problem. I found it somewhat strange that a room with two queen beds would only have one robe. Another issue: on the second day we were there, the coffeemaker in our room malfunctioned and flooded the small wood tray it sits on. I unplugged the coffeemaker and dumped out the water/coffee mess and cleaned up the tray, then left a note for housekeeping AND reported it to the front desk. Strangely, the tray with coffee packets, sugars, creamers, etc. was replaced but the coffeemaker never was...no explanation about why that happened. On a positive note, the rooms themselves were roomy and comfortable. The views up that high were OK, but as you will see from the pictures I'm supplying, you do look almost directly across at the other nearby tower. The bathroom was spacious and well stocked, but I found it odd that the toilet didn't have any kind of privacy door or screen. If you were using the toilet at the same time someone else was using the shower/tub/sink area, you were pretty much on display. That should be fixed. And finally, I had numerous issues with the airline check in computer kiosk in the lobby. I tried to log in several times using my president's club number without success. Then I swiped a credit card and that didn't work either. It wouldn't allow me to input my credit card info manually, so I wound up walking back around the corner and asking the concierge for help. I told him the kiosk wasn't working and he said he'd look into it. The rooms were quiet at night, but because of the way the doors to the hallway are mounted on the frames, you are quite aware of people talking as they walk past your rooms. I thought that the furniture in the lobby looked a little old and rundown. Bringing in some modern and contemporary furniture wouldn't hurt. All in all though, I found our stay at the Fairmont quite enjoyable. The Tech museum is right across the street, the airport is close, there are plenty of local attractions nearby and restaurants are everywhere. You could do worse than staying here.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I'm from Chicago and travel out to San Jose for business. I always stay at this hotel because its elegant, clean, lively, and in a great location. The restaurants are terrific, and it is nice to have clients meet me there, so I don't have to drive around. There is live music on most evenings and a martini menu that is irresistible! Parking is pricey at $26 a night. Tip - If you sign up online to become part of the President's Club (free) your internet fees are comped. Overall, a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2010

This is our sixth stay at the Fairmont, but we have not stayed here in 4 years. As long time Presidents Club members, we were saddened to see how things have declined. We booked a Cabana Room, because the last time we stayed there, it provided such a nice private patio. We were amazed to see that the privacy gate had been removed, making our private patio wide open. As far as our room: Why would the mini bar be in the bedroom, and the wet bar in the foyer? Why is there a coffee maker in the vanity area? Love those lit makeup mirrors. If the light worked. Love the idea of a TV in the bathroom. If it worked. Every night I had to call housekeeping for wine and drinking glasses as they were never replaced. The toilet had to be flushed 3 times after each use. I treated myself to a blow dry at the hotel salon - and was shocked to find out I couldn't charge it to my room - the same with an on-site hotel restaurant.

Such a pity, because for years this was a lovely property.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2010

For a Fairmont Hotel this is bottom of the barrel! The beds are aweful you can feel the springs poping thru when we asked the management about that they said all the beds are the same! While i was checking in...my husband had arranged for a massage for me at the Tova Day Spa, and when we tried to use the coupon the hotel gave us for the spa the next day...the Tova spa said, we can't honor that $25.00 off coupon the owner is not here. Left our name and number and Haven't heard anything! Heads up! the $210.00 massage I recieved was amatuer to say the best! I have stayed at Fairmonts and St Regis hotels and used there spa and this one was comparable to a Massage envy (massage's for $40.00). Don't waste your money. Oh Yeah and it's $26.00 a day to park your car for Hotel guest!!!!!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Fairmont Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. I enjoyed my stay and everything was in walking distance. The room was spacious and clean, the beds were simply comfortable. I would recommend all my friends and difinitely come back again.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Lissa50
Reviewed 25 September 2010

We moved our daughter onto campus housing at nearby Santa Clara University and Fairmont has a special Santa Clara Rate that makes this trip even better. We have done this each year. We stayed in 1487 in the Tower. We enjoyed drinks in the bar area and had a dinner at The Grill. All the services and personnel were friendly and competent. This is the only place we stay in the area.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple