“Wont be back”

Motel 6 San Jose Convention Center
Ranked #59 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 8 July 2011

VERY VERY basic, and not impressed. I'm not impressed with Motel 6 in general at all. No shampoo or conditioners which most places provide. No blowdryer/microwave/fridge. The room seemed very worn out..cracks and holes everywhere in the room. Also the room was completely invaded with fruit flies....I was disgusted..surprised to not find bed bugs. I had a hard time sleeping because the loud disturbances outside our room. The walls are super thin....also the tv is very old school. Not only was it fuzzy and barely worked but it kept shutting off...we had to keep fiddling with the cables behind the tv to try and get it to work. The bath tub had stains and the whole place really just needed a renovation. The only good thing I can say is the toilet seemed new. And paying for wifi is a complete rip off given the circumstances.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lmbennett04

Reviewed 29 June 2011

clean , comfortable and lowest price in town on a busy convention weekend. Great location . Near HP Pavillon and walking distance to downtown, fairmount hotel and convention center. also easy acess from airport by cab . used a local bus service from outside the hotel to go anywhere in santa clara and also went to stanford shopping center by staight bus from the hotel.

Good place to stay for Arena Events or conventions in downtown area.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kamalkunal
Reviewed 17 February 2011

Stayed here one night as a stop over point on our road trip of California. Hotel was on the edge of downtown San Jose, which was a decent neigborhood. Hotel itself was very basic (what Motel 6 isn't basic?) but for $80?? Seemed a bit much for this place. Rooms were clean, but there was something about this place that just didn't sit right with me. There was some strange clientele that kept driving in and out of the parking lot for a couple of hours at a time which kept me awake during the night. Maybe it was just my luck, but really I could not see myself staying at this property again.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Large room, plush easy chair, comfy bed, all for $59/night--what more could a solo traveller want? This was an Internet rate from the Motel 6 website. Minuses--some trucks and construction personnel, some low income (but friendly) families lodged by Social Services, a small pool, one anonymous bug (having lived in the near-rural or tropical South most of my life, I do not freak out over bugs in warm-weather lodgings like some of the Yankees, as I know they're almost impossible to keep out of houses, let alone motels where they can crawl under the door. I'd feel differently if a squad of them appeared carrying off the furniture!), somewhat noisy. The staff ranged from professionally neutural to very friendly. The location can't be beat as far as access to restaurants and service stores. This isn't a Cadillac room at Yugo prices, but it is a very good deal.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Rednecktraveller
Reviewed 22 February 2010

We took this hotel because we went to a concert at the HP Pavillion.
The location was good, because we walked there, but except that, everything was pretty bad for the whole 75 dollars we paid.
The room was way too crowded, even for 2 people, the sink outside of the bathroom and the worst part - The sheets wern't clean. Looked like someone steped on the Pillows.
We stayed near the stairs so we had lots of noise in the morning (6AM...).
All and all, i'm glad we stayed there for only one night. You can find better in this price and this area.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 July 2009

Pros - clean and relatively new furnishing.
Cons - counter staff not helpful

If you are just looking for a bed to stay and rest for the night. This place is fine. The check in is simple but if you want a better rate, book online. We arrive at the counter and was quoted a higher rate at the counter than their website. So we went to a starbucks down the road and book online instead. The room and bathroom is clean which is the most important to us. Free high speed internet access. Pool is old and water needs to be changed. Fridge in room, no microwave. Bring your own soap and shampoo. They give you two small pieces of soap. They provide coffee for breakfast. This is a no frills place, if you can spare a few more dollars, go to Arena hotel which is on the same road. They provide free breakfast and dinner and a jacuzzi tub to soak in in the room.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PPG2
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I usually stay at higher end hotels for work and play--I just say that to make the point that I can be kind of picky when it comes to hotels. But I went down to see Springsteen at the HP Pavilion last night and thought I'd book a basic place walking distance away since I didn't want to drive back home afterwards. The Motel 6 was great!

Very nice staff. Easy check-in. Plenty of parking. Clean, pleasant room with a small frig and a microwave. I didn't take advantage of the free coffee downstairs from 6-10 a.m., but nice to know it's there. A few free HBO channels, plus ESPN and a few other cable choices, for what that's worth. A "room service" menu from some external outlet that apparently will bring a limited array of salads, sandwiches or Italian dishes. And only $55.

Maybe a 15-20 minute walk from the HP Pavillion. I'd definitely recommend it for folks going to the concert, a convention, a Sharks game, or other business nearby. Or for folks simply looking for a reasonable place to stay in San Jose. It's also fairly close to the airport. I don't know San Jose well at all, but a few blocks further past the Pavillion there's an area (downtown?) with some nice restaurants and bars.

The immediate neighborhood has a smattering of modest restaurants, bakeries, etc. nearby. A Pete's and a Starbucks around the corner maybe two blocks away. Long's Drugstore two blocks in the other direction. I wouldn't call the neighborhood charming, but it looks fine. I saw a bar/grill up the street, but I still think the area could get pretty empty late at night. Not sure what that would mean for safety for someone walking back to the motel from somewhere really late when there wasn't an event at the Pavillion. But coming back from the concert after 11 p.m. there were plenty of folks (mostly concert-goers) on the street.

I think there might be free internet, but I didn't check it out. I vaguely recall seeing a pool in the hotel room lay-out diagram--but again, I'm not sure about that.

As you could imagine, the Motel 6's walls are on the thin side. Not a problem for when I stayed there, but it might be good to bring earplugs, which you can get at most drugstores (probably including the nearby Long's). Also, I'd advise asking for a room on the 2nd floor to avoid the extra noise that can come from folks coming and going to the cars in the parking lot outside the first floor.

To sum up, though: a nice place at a great price!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo