“Bad, Bad, Horrible!”

Motel 6 San Jose Convention Center
Ranked #62 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 14 August 2013

First of all, let me comment on this "modern" look. Motel 6 has stripped down amenities to the point where it is ludicrous. There are no bureaus, no closets; nowhere to hang clothes except for two small pegs attached to the wall with 4 hangers. There is no coffee maker, no hairdryer, the ac didn't work, the towels are threadbare, and no alarm clock for wake-up. The rooms were smokey and the clientele looked like convicts, prostitutes and pimps. We were kept awake all night by loud music & people partying into the wee hours of the morning. What was worse is that we locked up two expensive bikes and they were stolen. The day clerk, Mayra, was helpful and saw that our money got refunded, but based on this experience we will never stay at a Motel 6 again. The "modern" rooms are just cheesy.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 8 August 2013

My husband I stayed here last night 8/7/13. There was a smell of pot all around us as we got out of the car, no biggie. We check in and the clerk was helpful. Get to our room and our smoke detector is covered up with a plastic bag... Different, we notify the front desk and they say maintenance must have done it. I ask if it can still detect smoke and the kid says he will call. It is 7:25 the next day and I'm still waiting. Go to take a shower and there is no hot water, call the front desk, different guy tells me to leave it on 10-12 minutes, well 20 minutes later still no hot water. Call again, he says he will call me back. Going on 920 now, we are tired! Never called back, I call down and he says he will send someone up. 10:15 no one has come my husband checks the water for the 100th time and it was hot, so I called down to let him know and he hangs up on me! Already wrote to corporate and I advise everyone to stay out of this shady place. I have never written a poor review but I seriously needed to warn everyone.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Barrelracer85
Reviewed 1 August 2013

The beds were comfortable. The a/c didn't work, we had 2 sets of tiny towels for 4 people. We could get more towels. And we were fortunate that the weather wasn't so hot that the a/c not working was much of a problem. There was a small frige and microwave. Nice TV. And electrical outlets everywhere! There was hand soap and plastic cups. There was not tissue, shampoo, conditioner or hair dryer. The location was nice - close to coffee places and a little restaurant that had great breakfast burritos.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 July 2013 via mobile

If you are expecting a regular Motel 6 room, you are in for a surprise. The accommodations are actually pretty nice. A flat screen tv, nice beds, hardwood floors and a bath tub. I loved the room. But, the bed was uncomfortable. The bed was hard. The hardwood floor was slippery from the wax when wet from shower and one day I couldn't get hot water. There also was just a thin sheet on bed and no warmer beds available. I am always cold at night and a warmer blanket would have made a better experience. The front desk girl didn't seem to care too much about what I had to say. Overall, I feel I paid too much for an uncomfortable bed. Wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I thought I knew what to expect from a Motel 6, but I was so thrilled upon entering the room. The room was so clean, spacious and very comfortable. I stayed a week and was treated so nicely from both the front desk and all house maids. The service from my house maid so was nice and made sure I didn't go without anything. As for the location, its perfect. Just a few blocks from the beautiful downtown area.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Tomgirl_12
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Stayed here Easter weekend for four nights. Accomodation is above average for Motel 6 standards plus they have just begun renovating rooms. Rooms were quite large, beds comfy and bathrooms clean. They have thrown in cheap granite in an attempt to upcale but its still a M6 bathroom.

Other reviews commented on the neighbourhood being sketchy, but it is fine. Only incident was a few police cars one night but it was quiet the whole.

If you are going to HP Pavilion, it is an easy ten minute walk. Lots of restaurant and coffee shops within walking dstance. Crema Coffee on the Alameda was awesome as was Rosie's.

Easy access to all freeways.

Would say here again on our next road trip.

Room Tip: Choose the upper floor if you can manage stairs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Whitecapsfan
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed here while I was attending a volleyball tournament at the convention center, and expected to pay much more as most of the hotels in the area were either sold out or were too expensive to consider. I was delighted to find this affordable yet clean motel still available at a reasonable rate! I did not observe any criminal element or prostitution going on at the motel as others have written about, and I had a nice, quiet, comfortable room and felt completely safe. The lighting was good, the bed comfortable, and hotel staff very friendly and knowledgeable.
It is withing walking distance to the HP Pavillion, and just a short 5-10 minute drive to the convention center. I will be back, and already have my room reserved here for the California kick-off volleyball tournament next January!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the second floor near the center of the motel to be away from the street noise, an...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends