“OK but lacks wireless and bathroom lights switch on at night when you turn over in bed”

Residence Inn San Jose South
Ranked #26 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Typical of a Residence Inn...and looks like all of the others and reasonable price/value. Beds were comfortable although the sheets had a chlorine smell. Two big disadvantages are lack of wireless. Huh? This is the Silicon Valley. What's that about? Fortunately we were in a 2-room unit so we had 2 cables in the room. Otherwise only one of us would be connected. The second, even larger issue, is the motion-detector light switches in the bathroom. True, California has lots of energy saving laws, including motion-detector switches. But, when I turned over in bed, the light and fan went on in the middle of the night. I got out of bed to turn it off and closed the door. Well, the door opened back up and guess what happened an hour later? At that point is was 5 AM so I gave up trying to sleep. Good thing they have lots of coffee in the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Amelia A, General Manager at Residence Inn San Jose South, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Dear Joyceg:

Thank you for your feedbacks as this gives us the opportunity to improve our products and services.

We currently in the process of installing the WIFI in all guest suites and will definitely take our services to the next level up.

We hope to welcome you back soon on your next visit to the Bay Area.

Best regards,
Amelia H. Anastacio
GM

Reviewed 18 September 2011

The hotel suites are good size and having the kitchette is a plus. But the staff is OK at best, there is no wi-fi and even the hard line didn't provide internet. I called tech support and they tried to help, but couldn't. They said they would send someone to the room but didn't. We stayed 2 nights and called and requested maid service while we were out, 3 hours later housekeeping still had not come. Called and said forget service, just bring some towels...took ever an hour.
The need to replace the pool towels, the ones currently in use are about the size of hand towels and are in terrible shape (literally, the look like towels you would use to wash your car).

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear Msbroberts,

Thank you for your feedbacks and we sincerely appreciate it.

I apologize for not meeting your expectations and your comments have been addressed and corrected moving forward.

We hope to welcome you back in the nearest future. Have a great summer!

At your service,
Amelia H. Anastacio
GM

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Stay was OK. Untill woke up in morning to drive to airport. My SUV rental was broken into along with two others and all items stolen out of them. Front desk was no help to call police, had to do it myself. Police were no help, had to file a police report online, WOW. Frank in Management said there is nothing they could do about it and just the way it is now there. Terrible experience and I am sure glad I do not live in San Jose or CA for that matter. Also I believe pets were allowed, but I do not see that as a good thing.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank aargib
Reviewed 16 December 2010

I traveled to San Jose on Business and at the suggestion of many of my co-workers decided to stay at the Residence Inn. When I got here I immediately tried to hook up my computer and iPad to the Internet. The first day I arrived I was unable to detect a wireless network on my phone or iPad, so I had to use the wired connection at the desk. I hooked up just fine, but everything seemed slow, when I ran speedtest.net I found that I was getting 0.5mbs speed on the wire. I didn't worry about it that night. Over the next few days working with the front desk and their tech support I found out that Marriot deliberately limits their guests to this speed, I'm assuming for monetary reasons.

As a hotel in Silicon Valley, the heart of the information age, I was quite surprised to find this limitation, and I would not recommend this hotel to my Net savvy friends and co-workers.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank Mischif07
Reviewed 16 April 2010

I’ve stayed at this Residence Inn many times over the years. The rooms are pretty much standard issue Residence Inn…spacious, reasonably updated, and comfortable. For me this particular Residence Inn sets itself apart with the service at the morning breakfast. I wish I knew her name but the woman that helps set up and the breakfast is a delight. She is warm and always helpful and is especially talented at remember special requests. During my most recent visit I was very impressed that she remembered me and welcomed me back to the hotel. This was especially impressive since I hadn’t been the hotel in 1.5 years. Additionally, while not gourmet, the breakfast itself surpasses most of the Residence Inns I visit. Of course it also helps that the breakfast is free. I also commend this property for the evening reception. The food offered typically includes all that’s needed for a complete meal and again the variety and quality surpasses most evening meals offered at the other Residence Inns I visit. I can only think of two minor gripes…the super low flow bathroom faucets are annoying and the hot water took forever to reach my bathroom sink. Also, I did not have a receipt/bill delivered to my room on my final day. I hate having to go to the front desk to get the receipt for my records. All in all I’m consistently pleased with this hotel. I hope the management passes on my praise for the lovely woman that puts together the breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Jason B
Reviewed 25 October 2009

Excellent staff.... friendly and helpful without exception. Quiet to the degree possible.. Wonderful courtyard with pool and places to relax. Best free breakfast I have seen with wonderful serving staff. Excellent supper with excellent staff. Free beer and wine in evenings. Fresh coffee 24 hours a day. Clean grounds around. Great access to shopping across the street. Beautiful tree-line streets in the area. Clean and as safe as possible parking lot. I stayed there for three months, and have absolutely no complaints. Clean and trouble-free laundry area. Helpful staff at front desk. Shuttle to local area. Exercise area which I never got around to using. Seems to attract decent and friendly business people mainly with sufficient tourists to make it interesting.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2009

Residence Inn never disappoints.... I went here on business and also stayed for a spa day with friends near by,.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled solo