“Excellent care and friendly staff” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton San Jose

Hilton San Jose
Ranked #8 of 76 Hotels in San Jose
Houston, Texas
“Excellent care and friendly staff”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2012

We stayed for four nights on the Executive level. Due to flight and rental car issues it was close to 3 am when we checked in. Despite it being the middle of the night, the staff member was very friendly, check in was a breeze and our many belongings were transported up to the room quickly. I also have a down allergy and they had already taken care of the bedding change prior to our check in. This is rare - since although I always request it when making the reservation ore often than not the hotel hasn't taken care of it prior to check in. The room was very comfortable, well appointed and maid service was consistently good.

My boyfriend had rented a hot muscle car, which meant that valet service was super easy since the car was parked just outside the entrance the entire visit. The staff was friendly, attentive and didn't bat an eyelash at us coming in at all hours of the night.

The executive level breakfast was fantastic, fresh tasting and good quality ingredients with friendly staff.

My only complaint is around the water. They must be softening it since our skin often felt almost oily after showering or washing our hands, which was very odd.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
  • Korean first
Pinellas Park, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

This trip was a business trip, a four night stay. I had booked in advance online, an executive floor suite. We arrived late Tuesday (10:00 PM) evening after spending a long day traveling and sightseeing. This Hilton offers a valet service with, I am told, reasonable rates. I took my valet ticket and headed inside. To my surprise there were actually two people doing check in, even this late at night on a weeknight. For the first time in a long time, at this check-in, I was actually thanks for being a rewards member. Unfortunately, I did not get the person's name but it would seem later that everyone who works here is polite, courteous and quite helpful. I got my key and headed up to the room on the 17th floor (1715). Entering the room, it was quite dark. On a scale of 1 to 10, I placed the darkness factor at around nine with 10 being the darkest. I fumbled for the light switch, and turning it on. I instantly felt a bit disappointed. Unfortunately the lighting in this room was simply horrible. It was all old model compact fluorescence. Now of course, I have no problem with compact fluorescence mind you, but these were the old kind were the light was yucky blue white. It was so stark and uninviting. And not just the overhead, all the lighting was like this. The only reprieve I actually had was in the bathroom because the lighting in this room was kind of fancy and placed behind the mirror. Fortunately the rest of the decor helped to counterbalance the starkness of the lighting. Warm burgundy hues with sharp blue contrasts were present. Present were the typical accoutrements, including, a flatscreen HDTV, a chase lounge chair and, a nice desk. Upon closer examination, there were small amenities that really set this place apart from the rest of the herd. Take the desk for example, located in that area is a portal with four power outlets, a phone connection, an ethernet port, RCA video connection, audio connection, VGA connection, and an HDMI connection, sweet! I had asked online for extra towels and found them on my bed. Part of being a Hilton H honors member, is that you get at a certain level, free bottled water left in your room. This is always really nice. Like most Hiltons, the bathroom was white marble, with a white toilet and sink to match. The shower was nice even though the curtain was ripped a little bit. The water here is soft so be prepared for that if you're not used to it, which I'm not. Each time I took a shower, I got hot water with the temperature that was more than adequate. I did find it odd, that since it was 50° outside, the air was off. As a result, the room felt a little stuffy to begin with. At home I sleep in about a 72° environment but since the air here is a lot drier, I set the temperature on the air-conditioner at 68° and turned the fan to always on for both the noise, and the movement of air. The king-size bed was comfortable, with crisp sheets. The pillows, of which there were five, were standard Hilton offerings, which are Pacific down pillows. I slept like a rock. Oh, and did I mention that it's dark in this room? Wonderful.

The next morning, I headed to breakfast on the 18th floor. There is a special staircase on the 17th floor behind a locked door that leads to the 18th floor executive lounge. It's pretty cool feature, because it allows you to quickly get to that area without feeling like I had to traipse up and down an elevator. The view in this room is spectacular. You're able to see the morning fog rolling over the mountains and into the suburbs. It's really a wonderful morning breakfast view. I would eat breakfast in this lounge for the next four mornings. I noticed that they'd do slight variations on the entrée every day. This is a really exceptional thing, and I was one to take notice. They had French toast, scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with spinach, scrambled eggs with cheese, scrambled eggs with potatoes and every day they had bacon and who doesn't like bacon? In addition, they had typical Hilton fare of serial, muffins, bagels, toast, and fresh fruit. But even in this endeavor they excelled with fresh fruit that looked like a gourmet spread. The oatmeal always had various extras to add to it like brown sugar and raisins. They also had orange juice, grapefruit juice, water, hot tea, hot coffee, milk, and soda. In addition, they even had some bottled waters you could take with you for the road.

Unfortunately, I did have a "incident" at this hotel. On Wednesday morning, after being impressed with the great breakfast, I was deeply saddened by learning that they have lost the keys to my rental car. The really ironic thing was, they parked my car up front, right next to the door, alongside a Porsche. So I could see it and touch it, I just couldn't drive it. We were going to be late for our training so we asked the valet if he would purchase us a taxi to get to the training until they sorted it out. He called a taxi over and we were whisked off. What truly impressed me about the situation was the way in which the manager handled this bungle. He called me on my cell phone, to inform me that he had found the keys, and he would arrange for them to be brought to me with the car. A little while later I got another call, it was the manager, and he was downstairs in the parking lot with my car! I went down to get the keys and was really impressed that was the actual manager who came to give me the keys and make apologies. He also offered to pay for the valet service for the rest of my stay as a result of the mishap. In addition, he also insisted that we have dinner at the restaurant that night. It would turn out later that we probably should have taken him up on his offer instead of going to the restaurant that we went to. Every time we returned to the hotel from that point forward I was greeted by name by the valet staff. I don't know if they were told to do that or they're just nice people but it was a great touch.
Instead of taking him up on his offer of dinner, I asked for cocktails when we returned that night from eating out at another restaurant that really wasn't all that great (see my review of The Fish Market). The bartender was a really nice woman with a great personality. The bar area itself isn't really warm and inviting per se, but it will do the trick. There are a few TVs, a couple of nice sofas, some hightop tables and of course, some barstools that belly up. The piped in music contained a wide variety, sure to please everyone.
This hotel is located adjacent to the convention center. It also has a train stop/station within walking distance. The interstate is in close proximity as well. Traveling from the airport can be done in 8 to 10 minutes.
There was one other small thing that impressed me quite a bit. On one of the days, I think it was Friday night, when I returned back to my room, the cleaning person had left a bottle of water for me. I know you're thinking big deal right? But it just so happened, that I was incredibly thirsty that night and it was really nice to not have to figure out how I was going to quench my thirst before bed. And that pretty much sums up my feelings about this particular Hilton. It's the little things that really make a huge difference.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Boca Raton, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2012

In the downtown area connected to the convention center. There is some serious construction going on (august 2012) next door so be aware (and dont plan to sleep in late if you are on that side of the hotel).

Parking is downstairs. I have been there 6 times and have never seen a parking attendant. It is sort of on the honor system but they do ask if you have a car when you check in and if your luck isnt like mine you will get charged more when leaving than if you registered with the hotel.

Breakfast buffet is "ok" There was a few meat items (cold & hot) and eggs and french toast. There was the usual dairy fare. The breads were limited to sliced bread. No pastries / croissants.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the "non-construction" side of the building
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Calgary
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

We checked in early with a friendly staff member and although the parking across the street costs $14 per night ( its $21 in the hotel parkade !) the rest of our stay made it all worthwhile.We were assigned a room on the 17th floor-executive level right beside the entrance to the upper breakfast room where we helped ourselves to delicious breakfasts, complimentary happy hour appetizers and late night desserts. Hilton beds are wonderful ! The room was fairly spacious.The only downside is that the hotel is right on the flight path to San Jose Airport,meaning jets flying closeby. The pool is also very small and almost non-existant and the hot tub looked like it needed some updating.The poolside lounging chairs looked dirty.We did not use the pool at all as a result.I would still recommend the hotel overall and will stay here again depending on the rate.

Room Tip: Choose the executive level (upper floors). The hotel is right on a flight path so you will have plan...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank swcgy
anchorage
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

Modern and clean, excellent entry with comfortable couches and many places for privacy for cell calls, good bar. Rooms are excellent, large and clean, could sleep all day in those beds.

Construction outside at 6 am on north side woke me up and they immediately found me a room on south side. Very nice stay.

• Stayed August 2012
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2012

I stayed here for 10 nights in August for work and have stayed here a couple of times before over the past three years. Overall it has consistently been a very comfortable stay, with good service and excellent breakfast (both choice and quality).

It is a fairly basic Hilton with a small pool and small restaurant / bar area, and parking at $20 USD / day on top of the room fee is a bit unnecessary, but I wouldnt let that put you off.

For those who like to be able to walk in the evening, you can easily walk to all of bars and restaurants of downtown San Jose. Coming from the UK, I really appreciate being able to go to dinner without having to worry about driving or taxis, so proximity to to downtown works well.

I would recommend this hotel and will stay there again.

M

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Mr_Slim_Travels
Lafayette, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2012

Our daughter chose the Hilton for her wedding reception. We couldn't have asked for a better experience . From her first inquirey to the last wee hour of the reception we were amazed at the care GiGi,their wedding coordinator, took to make sure we knew we were very special. What impressed me most was the attention to ALL of the details. The package price was better than we could have hoped for. Our every request was met with a positive solution. Having the reception at the Hilton was a celebration we will remember for a long time. There was no place for a bride-zilla to emerge. GiGi took care of us as though we were her family.
Our guests were able to stay at the Hilton so there were no worries about getting home safely. The hotel staff was wonderful, truly a first class operation. No wonder hospitality and Hilton go hand in hand

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family