“Surprisingly quiet”
Review of Hilton San Jose

Hilton San Jose
Ranked #10 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Nice location being 4 miles to Santana Row. Close to SAP areana and lots of Restuaraunts. the room was comfortable and nice but could be cleaner. The walls and door of the bathroom were dirty. Splattered with something. Service was good and quick. Food from Restuaraunt was decent. We had oatmeal and a parfait. Baretender was rude - a woman. Checkin people were very nice and helpful. I would stay again.

Room Tip: We were in 403 it was very quiet
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Catherine H, Manager at Hilton San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Hello Dianna,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton San Jose. I'm very sorry to hear that we didn't meet all your expectations.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Where do I begin? We just returned from a 4 day stay at this hotel for a cheer competition at the neighboring convention center. Yes the hotel was completely full, however, this is a convention center hotel AND a Hilton - a full hotel is not something that should throw them off.
The rooms are NOT clean. One of our teammates found maggots in the in-room coffee cups. Yep, you read that right folks - maggots. She complained and absolutely nothing was done. A teammate in the room next door had dark red stains all over the bottom of her tub. The Hilton's solution? They had someone come up and spray paint over the stains. What?? In our room, the shower NEVER TURNED OFF. It ran continuously. I called and asked for this to be addressed SIX TIMES - I'm still waiting for someone to show up. I also called repeatedly for fresh towels. Still waiting. Asked at check in for a wine bottle opener and also called three additional times. Still waiting.
We had breakfast the first morning in the Hilton restaurant. $13 per person for eggs and cold French toast. I ordered coffee first thing when we got there. He brought it with the check as we were leaving. I ended up going next door to Starbucks - which is what I should have done from the get go. The rest of our stay we walked across the to The Marriott for breakfast and it was lovely every day.
The first day we told them they did not need to fix up the room but we would like fresh towels and the old ones to be picked up. The old ones are probably still there on the bathroom floor and apparently one night means you never want your room cleaned because our room was NOT CLEANED A SINGLE TIME DURING OUR 3 NIGHT STAY.
I'll end here because I think you get the picture. We have stayed at many Hiltons with no problems but this was atrocious. I will go out of my way to tell people NOT to stay here!

Room Tip: Pick a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Brycesmommy
Catherine H, Manager at Hilton San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Hello,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the disappointing service and conditions of your recent stay. We know our guests deserve the best and we will use your comments as we continually evolve to best meet and exceed our guests' expectations. We have shared your comments with our team and assure you appropriate steps have been made to correct the issues you encountered with comfort and cleanliness. Should you return to our area in the future, we would love to have you back so we may better demonstrate the complete quality stay you expect and deserve.

Reviewed 28 January 2014

I stayed at this hotel because of the proximity to the SJ Convention Center. I was attending a cheer competition with my daughter and had my infant son with me. I was relieved to see that the hotel offered valet parking services given the fact that I was traveling with an infant and was unfamiliar with the city and its parking facilities. When I got there however, I was told that because the hotel was full for the competition, they were not offering valet parking services. This was very inconvenient and upsetting! When I finally did figure out where I was supposed to park, there were no available parking spots...and...a whole section of the parking lot was blocked off for "valet parking only"! Are you kidding me??? I did not feel safe leaving my kids to go park, nor did I feel safe walking back from the garage! The hotel should have had the appropriate number of staff on duty to provide this service since it was advertised!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Hi Mary,

I’m very sorry to hear that you did not have a pleasant experience at our hotel. Guest satisfaction is extremely important to us and we apologize for letting you down. We will be sure to keep your feedback in mind as we're always working to improve our overall guest experience. I thank you for your review and I really hope you'll give us a second chance if your travels bring you back to our area.

Catherine

Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here for five nights and so glad I did! The room was clean and well equipped for our needs. Was attending Further Confusion 2014 and loved how the hotel put the new FurCon logo on the floor and was more than welcoming to all guests for the event.
The only complaint I have is that there is no complimentary wi-fi access in the rooms. Ideally there should be a complimentary internet access offered at a lower speed, and charge for higher speeds. $10/day for internet that barely uploads a video to Youtube is hardly worth paying for. ;)
At least there is complimentary wifi offered in the lobby, it just means commuting to and from the room to use it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Catherine H, Manager at Hilton San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 28 January 2014

Hi Harry,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton San Jose. I’m very sorry to hear that we didn't meet all your expectations. We will be sure to keep your feedback in mind as we're always working to improve our overall guest experience. I thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed 22 January 2014

Stayed 1 night at the Hilton San Jose. The location is good for any downtown activities that you might want to do. I was there for a hockey game-the stadium was in walking distance to the hotel. Also-many bars and restaurants are within walking distance. All in all the hotel was good-nice staff. The only issue was the bathroom seemed to be not as clean as it could be. The room was perfect, but the bathroom needed a bit more attention.
I would stay here again if ever in San Jose!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Catherine H, Manager at Hilton San Jose, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thank you for the review Adam. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

Was on a business trip that involved using the attached San Jose McEnery Convention Center, and being a Hilton HHonors Gold status member weighed in on my choice to use the Hilton San Jose as my place to stay for three nights.

Check-In was very easy and pleasant! I was able to stage my vehicle without trouble at the hotel's front portico and go straight to the front desk. The attendant greeted me with a smile, recognized my Gold status immediately and automatically upgraded my room to the Executive Level of the hotel. Additionally, complementary drink vouchers, breakfast vouchers for the hotel restaurant (Affinity) and a trio of appetizer vouchers also for the restaurant were provided.

Parking was not as pleasant. This hotel has an underground parking garage that it shares (though has dedicated spaces reserved for hotel guests) with the Convention Center. For the "luxury" of it's customers, this Hilton charges $22 A DAY for self-parking (which will be conveniently billed to your room) and does not have any discounts available. For $6 a day more, you can use the valet service. Word to the wise: check to see if there is an event going on at the Convention Center during your stay, which can have cheaper parking costs AND use the same garage!

The room was nice and very modern, complete with polished aluminum light fixtures and grey/white/red color themes. The Executive Levels (Floors 17 and 18) requite key-card access in the elevators and offer standard-type rooms through full Suites, while all come with full-height floor-to-ceiling windows (where-as all other floors have much smaller windows) as well as upgraded designer bath amenities. However, after the initial impression of the room wore off, the dirty nature of its state became glaringly apparent. The windows were extremely dirty, covered with bird droppings and encrusted with grime, showing that it has been a very long time since a window washing was performed. There were stains in the carpet around the desk area and the night stand, while the carpet where it meets the tile entry way was threadbare. But the walls were the worst: silver/grey wallpaper made the dirty grime around the desk area, the frames of the closet, bathroom and entry doors very easy to see. But most disgusting was the brown filth located around the toilet paper holder! Mold was visible around the shower and bath tub, as well as along the ceiling in the restroom.

And while most seasoned travelers would already know this, DON'T USE THE GLASSWARE IN THE ROOM! I was in my room when the maid made her rounds (she did not come by until the late afternoon) and I had no issue having her make things up while I worked on my computer. She did not replace the dirty glassware with clean ones from her cart, instead she simply took the dirty ones into the bathroom and rinsed them off in the sink! A quick dry with one of her towels, and she placed them right back on the table. When I asked about this, she simply pointed to her cart and said "All out." This, ladies and gents, is how you get sick.

This property needs to pay more attention to the details, and if they did, it would be a top-notch place to stay. If you need/want a truly nice place to stay who does go the "extra mile" then I would recommend the Fairmont Hotel be where you go for Downtown San Jose. But if your stay requires a comfortable room with a few issues, combined with a need to use the Convention Center, then the Hilton San Jose will fit your needs.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hallways (north and south side of tower) are bigger and more spacious.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hello,

Please accept our sincere apologies for the hassle and frustration you experienced on your recent stay at our hotel. We strive to make every guests' stay a pleasant one from check-in to departure through quality service and amenities and we regret this was not your impression. We will use your comments as part of our ongiong service training and hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the quality stay you deserve should you return to our area in the future.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Whenever I look back, all the hotels where I stayed conjure some memories, this one will remind me of clinic....yes thats what it is....throughout my stay, though I do not have any complaints, I always felt only if the staff was more courteous, the food more palatable, colors more bright, service more personal......at best the hotel could be rated as 3 star hotel, it severely lacks emotional persona to it.....so guys if looking for super check in, clean room, limited breakfast menu, central location then go for it...but if you have a weekend or holiday in between this is the worse place to stay.....

Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Hi Amit,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Hilton San Jose. I’m very sorry to hear that we didn't meet all your expectations. We will be sure to keep your feedback in mind as we're always working to improve our overall guest experience. I thank you for your review and we hope to see you again in the future.