“Comfy beds”

Ranked #36 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Santa Rosa, California
“Comfy beds”
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We recently stayed here for 2 nights with adjoining rooms (one for kids, one for hubby and me). I found the front desk staff friendly and helpful, and the bed was hands down the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept on.
I was incredibly disappointed in the housekeeping service. Perhaps as punishment for accidentally leaving my kids' room main door bolted (the adjoining door between our two rooms was obviously open), the housekeeper did not replenish the towels in one bathroom or the coffee travel cups. Unacceptable.
Also interesting - my kids' room had a thermostat but in our adjoining room we adjusted temp via the actual a/c unit (not a problem, just interesting that they haven't updated all rooms). Also, we were on the 2nd floor and the only ice machine was in the middle of the other wing of the hotel.
Anyway, very comfy beds and the kids loved the pool. I also appreciated that they had drinks/snacks/beer/wine available at the front desk and when I went down to purchase 4 beers, the guy at the front desk asked me "are you sure? You can always go down the street to the store for cheaper beer!" Thought that was sweet, but I was too lazy to leave after a long day in Santa Cruz!

The first night was incredibly quiet (a Friday). The next night we were awoken at 3am by our upstairs neighbors who decided to have a tweeker dance party. To the credit of the hotel, when I called the front desk they already had security on the way and they were quiet within 5 minutes.
The restaurant across the parking lot was meh. Set up like a cheap restaurant, hubby and I ordered filets... mine was huge (yay) and my husband's was literally half the thickness and size as mine. Bizarre and disappointing for the price.

Overall, a decent hotel and we'd stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
orange county
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed here for two nights, and was impressed by the beds, location, and staff. It is right next to a paved creek trail where I saw deer, turkey's, and wild pigs. What a nice escape while traveling for work. It was right next to two freeways, and very nice. I am surprised this is only a 2 1/2 star property. Now the pool is just plain (like a. Best western pool), but everything else was great! The room service was timely, and not overly priced. I especially liked that they sold snacks and beverages/wine at the front desk counter store, and at reasonable prices (not like the overly priced mini-bars usually in the rooms). Even the gym was very well appointed with weights and cardio, anything you would need to exercise. Great value, will definitely stay here next time.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a balcony next time, so I could sleep with the door open.
1 Thank ocshelby
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Wyndham Garden San Jose Silicon Valley, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Thank you for your great review. We are so happy that our hotel provided you with a little relaxing getaway during your business trip. We look forward to seeing you again the next time you are in the area. Best.
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Four Points brand manager must have missed the actual property tour when they decided this property fit the brand character. It's only redeeming quality is price (almost half of what the Downtown FP property is). The property itself looks presentable, but the details are missing. Quality wasn't the deciding factor when they renovated this property. It has the Four Points amenities in the room you might expect, but everything else seems worn. The bed was comfortable, and that's the only reason this merited a 2 or Poor rating.

The AC units are below the windows and I found out the hard way this one leaked when I went to turn it off in the morning. The reason I had to use AC (it was 63 outside and breezy) is because the windows on the 2nd floor only open 3 -4"......Seems like a lot of energy could be saved by allowing people to open them up a bit more for some natural coolness.

Anyway- a marginal Starwood property. Merits a 1 Star on their rating system- 2 at most.

Room Tip: Rooms facing North face the quieter side of the parking. Tip- park out back on the NE side- there i...
1 Thank Kitalexi
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed during your stay at our property. Your comments regarding the leaking air conditioning unit has been addressed by our team and will be fixed immediately. Again, thank you for your review. We wish you happy travels.

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This is an adequate hotel set in the rolling hills south of San Jose. The name is misleading, there is no Silicon Valley and San Jose is 13 miles away.
The beds are good, the setting quite and not so far from San Jose downtown that it becomes a problem. There is no activity close by.
Recommended if you have a car and are not in a hurry in the morning for your appointments.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This place used to be a Holiday Inn and it still feels like it. The rooms are nice enough and the beds are comfy but for over $100 a night (and I booked online) not really worth it since you are well over 15 minutes away from Downtown and there is NOTHING to do near the hotel itself. I tried to upgrade my room to a suit when I got here and was told that since I booked online they couldn't help me, I would have to go back online and change my reservation. I booked online with this company! I did not use a travel site or anything like that, I literally booked with Sheraton and had to call and finish the booking because they couldn't get their site to work properly. I couldn't understand why in the heck they would not just give me a credit for what I already prepaid for and then charge me the cost of the new room since it was booked through their company not a third party. Oh well lesson learned next time I stay closer to downtown and just pay the higher price which by the way was only $20 more than this place.

The pool left something to be desired as well. It was small and outdated and the spa was tiny and hardly warm. They do have a "fitness center" but it isn't much.

Room Tip: Best tip would be to choose a different hotel all together.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Alex_P_602
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I booked this hotel through one of its partner businesses and since it was only a few dollars more than others in the area due to the discount I thought it might be a nice change from my usual budget traveller choices.

Let's just say I'm sure glad I didn't pay retail.

The positives:
The hotel is very quiet, good soundproofing through walls, and of course the decor is beautiful.
There is a coffee maker, hair dryer, shampoo in the room, plus an iron and ironing board.
The bed and pillows were very comfortable - certainly the most comfortable I've had at a hotel/motel in a long time.
Upgraded Speakman shower head in the shower and adequate water pressure.
Plenty of free parking.
Restaurant adjacent.

The negatives:

No frig or microwave in room. Of course not - they want you to order room service food.
For such an upscale place I was expecting a great cup of coffee, especially since the packets for the coffeemaker came in a cute little burlap bag. The in-room coffee was terrible - so weak and no body to the flavor! Style over substance wins again.
The duvet cover on one bed had some spots on it. No big deal, I know, but for these prices I would not expect to see smudges. Also smudges on the bathroom wall. Not a crisis, but I wouldn't expect to see that here.
They take a deposit from your credit card for "incidentals" - translated that means if you make calls from the room phone, or accidentally take home their hair dryer, they deduct it from your deposit. I don't have a problem with that - I just wish they'd tell travelers in advance, on the booking sites, that they require a deposit. It's a shame all travelers have to be treated like potential criminals in this way. They should tell us that on the booking sites.

Worst of all, the customer service people were not very nice. I thought I looked okay considering I'd just driven 3 hours and traveled 3 days, but I guess I looked poor in my less-than-Bloomingdales attire. The front desk person acted as if he didn't want to touch my credit card when he saw I was prepaid at a discount rate. Another guest service person also looked at me with disdain.

It's summer Sheraton. Your company is offering discounts. Please train your customer service staff to treat every guest the same no matter how beat up their luggage is or how their clothing says, "Not a Nordstroms shopper".

For me and my needs, I won't be staying at a Four Points again. Yes, the rooms are very pretty but a comfortable room is really about the amenities and how you're treated.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Chicago
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We were attending a wedding in Cupertino and chose to stay at this hotel because we could use SPG points. The hotel's location is about 15 minutes away from downtown San Jose but rather than that be an issue, it turned out to be a blessing as the hotel is set among some gentle rolling hillsides and offered very easy access to the freeway. There is a restaurant of some sort across from the parking lot, and room service appeared to be an option.

My room was pretty nice, and the beds were phenomenal. The room is somewhat updated with a nice, huge flat panel TV and nice working area, plus a chair to relax in. The bathroom was updated as well, clean with good water pressure (although it seems all Four Points use the awful pump soap and shampoo). The only issue was the room smelled a bit musty when we first walked in, but with the AC going for a while that smell was gone.

Our room (108) was far down the hall from the lobby area but it was impossible to ignore the party going on in the main meeting room, since we could hear the music from the room with the door closed. The room also had an old fashioned heat/AC unit, while my friends staying in rooms across the hall had newer thermostats installed.

The fitness center was adequate and the pool (which we did not use) was a popular hangout.

I'd say this is a pretty great place to stay, as long as you have a car. I think it's only 3000 SPG points a night, so definitely a bargain. Just try and stay in a room away from the meeting rooms, unless you enjoy listening to loud music as you try to fall asleep.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family