“Short Notice - A+ Accommodations”

Holiday Inn Express San Jose Central City
Ranked #29 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Belgrade, Montana
“Short Notice - A+ Accommodations”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I was born/raised in San Jose but have lived in Montana for close to 20 yrs now.
I came for a visit for my nephew's wedding and to see family/friends.
In planning my trip I made a terrible mistake in reserving a room in another hotel (no names mentioned) in a VERY unpleasant area - I mentioned to the mgr that his reviews were not very good - he convinced me he is in process of major cleaning/renovating & that I will be impressed with my accommodations PLUS the price he offered me was very cheap - I was always unfamiliar with South SJ area as opposed to north area... but was not worried much.
I survived a Wed & Thurs. night at the horrible hotel and had to scurry around - on a Friday! - to find cleaner and safer lodging. I called a few places, but communication with front desk was a huge challenge and I could not understand so much foreign language.
Finally, I called HIExpress on Monterey Rd and Rema (sp?) was SO pleasant and understanding, along with another receptionist (Kopal) with my situation that she did her very best to get me a room without paying a ton more $$$ - I feel they both went over and beyond their duty to please me....
I entered my room and I couldn't believe what a difference my accommodations were - There was not a thing I lacked in my new room. I honestly believe they gave me their best room (101) - I might mention that this HIExpress was only 4 miles or so north of the bad place I originally chose.... but with major differences.
I woke my first morning to a full on breakfast in a pristine lobby with respectable clientele.
I will continue to seek this hotel during my next visit.
Thank you HIExpress and your wonderful staff!
Jackie B.

Room Tip: Ground Floor beginning at Room 101 which is at the far right corner of hotel - quiet enough.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jlu712
Steve2660, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Jose Central City, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thanks so much Jackie for taking time in posting comments about your stay at our hotel.We are so pleased that you felt so satisfied with the quality of service we offer to our valuable guests.You have made our employees very proud.Our employees take a lot of pride in their work.We feel that every guest is so special to us.Please come visit us again while you are in San Jose-your home away from home

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Hotel room like new! New carpet, nice bathroom, granite counters. Regular customer checking in. The pool is fairly small, size of 2-3 hot tubs. The location is not on the best side of town, but not too far away either. New shopping center nearby. Maybe up and coming area. Continental breakfast includes eggs, sausage, Bacon, pancakes, cereal, pastries, etc. Good value. Service was great, tv not working when arrived, and management came right up to fix connection. Very pleased to stay in a new hotel!

• Stayed July 2013
Steve2660, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Jose Central City, responded to this review, 31 August 2013
Thanks so much Brickhouse99 for your review.We do appreciate your kind business and are so thankful that you have recognised the efforts of our staff.Please keep us in your travel plans whenever you are in San Jose.Thanks once again
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 2 August 2013

It is nice hotel, but placed closed to the center of San Jose. Sometimes you can hear more noise from the main road which is pretty close to the hotel. But nothing crucial. Area around the hotel looks like suburb, but you can find park cross the road, shopping center is also quite close. Services in the hotel are quite good to stay there and enjoy the surrounding of the Sillicon Valley.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Thanks Matejuse for your nice review regarding our hotel.We know while you do have many hotel choices in San Jose,you chose us for your accommodation needs and we are very thankful for that.You did make our day.All guests at our hotel are very special and very dear to us..thanks so much once again
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Not too bad for the cost, Industrial area of the city, but it has a great shopping center just minutes away with a lot of good places to eat. 10 minute drive to the downtown area and San Jose State University.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Roger M
Thanks Roger for taking time to write a wonderful review for our hotel.We do appreciate it it and it has overjoyed our employees.We do celeberate when our guests appreciate our hardwork.Thanks so much once again
Aliso Viejo, California
Reviewed 15 July 2013

If you plan on going to the Winchester Mystery House, then this is the hotel for you! The front desk provides two adult tickets with a night's stay as part of the price. Furthermore, you can purchase additional tickets at a discounted rate.

The hotel was a typical roadside version of a motel...outside corridors, two stories. The rooms were clean, but not overly spacious. There was a pipe leak when we first arrived, so we had no water for a spell. So, we enjoyed ourselves in the Jacuzzi, and the water was back on when we returned to our room.

The rooms are cooled with a typical wall unit a/c. It's semi-loud, but only a whisper if you use ear plugs. A recommendation to the staff is to use the air for the gym, as it takes too long for an entire room to cool down for you to work out. I know they save on electricity, but the gym was not at all inviting, given the room was about 90 degrees.

The beds were nice and clean, and roomy. And, the firm and soft pillow choices were a nice touch. The breakfast had a nice variety, and the buffet was clean.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ToniN705
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Jose Central City, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Dear ToniN705,

We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your review and all the nice comments about the room you had and the breakfast. It is always our goal to provide the best possible service and create memorable experiences and on this occasion we apologize for the disappointment you had with our facilities. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences.

Again, thank you for your review and we hope you do choose to give us another opportunity to exceed your expectations in the future.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 29 May 2013

Stayed one night on our way Northwards and homebound. This HI Express Location really goes the extra mile with genunine appreciative service and personal touches to make your stay here worthwhile.
Warmly welcomed at check-in by Jeni who was most professional and wonderfully accommodating in assisting our family accessibility requirments with room suggestions.
This is one of the very few Motel style properties with walk-up 2 stories which works well for those accessibility needs, settling in and moving luggage on the ground floor rooms was a snip.
Talk about extra touch welcome for our Platinum status, each of our rooms had a whole tray of welcome goodies such as local hot warm cookies, crisps, granola bars, pop and the local newspaper.
( usually we only get a bottle of water and/or chocolate bar so this sets a high standard for all the other HI Expresses to emulate!)
Very comfortable rooms, toilet paper tissues are arranged into a rose decoration, cute!
Breakfast offered more local choices than any other HI Express I've been to; on top of the usual hot and cold selection, there was also Soy Milk, Chocolate Milk, great selection of juices, yoghurts and breads which we really appreciated.
Loved the outdoor pool and jacuzzi which was a little haven for a relaxing dip, lovingly decorated with plants, another personal touch.
Exercise room is a little stuffy as you can't open the windows so just turn on the aircon and keep the door open, no problems. Good equipment and a nice Sauna also to wind down after a long day's drive.
There are 2 Grocery stores 5 minutes away from the hotel if you don't feel like eating out, otherwise there is a small mall 7 minutes away down the road with usual casual eatery choices.
Obviously a very convenient place for business stopovers as we noticed regular business folk checking in and were off early the next day for their meetings in San Jose city.
Overall, a very pleasant stay for both pleasure and business alike.
My compliments to the owners and excellent staff who have this formula very right.

Room Tip: Apparently, the property is busiest on the weekends and charges higher accordingly; the business tra...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Steve2660, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Jose Central City, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Thank you FSR for your review on our hotel.We wish to thank you so much for taking time out and writing such a wonderful review for our hotel and our staff.We try to set the benchmark higher everytime.We also have our employees attend our inhouse training programs and IHG classes so to improve productivity, performance and on how to value each and every guest at the hotel.The hotel has gone through an extensive renovation program and we are really proud of our nice looking rooms.We understand you have lots of choices in San Jose but you chose our hotel..we are extending our heartiest thanks to you Sir.We really value your business and thanks so much for staying with us
Sumner, Christchurch
Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is Holiday Inn is undergoing some updating (carpets were being replaced while I was there). It is not in the most salubrious area of town, but handy for the main routes. It has a nice out door pool and gym area. The staff were particularly friendly and welcoming and there were few regulars checking in which is always a good sign.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank MerchantAdventurer
Thanks MerchantAdventure for taking time to write a wonderful review regarding your stay at our hotel.We appreciate that you do recognise the hardwork and dedication my staff puts in to make the guest stay very comfortable.Thanks so much once again